Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Man openly carrying is robbed at gunpoint

Post imported post

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/95999354.html

Man Legally Carrying Gun Robbed at Gunpoint

By Melanie Stout

MILWAUKEE - A Milwaukee man found out the hard way that carrying a gun for protection doesn't always keep you safe. In fact, it may have made him a target.

The 34-year-old man legally owned a handgun and carried it out in the open in his holster for protection.

Neighbors say they knew he was always armed.

"It was kind of scary to just see him walking around all the time with that gun kind of just out in the open," said Shambria Mayham Autman. She lives near Teutonia and Good Hope and said they called him "The guy with the gun."

But it wasn't scary for at least one person who robbed "The guy with the gun" at gunpoint.

"I think he was trying to scare people off like, 'Yeah, don't mess with me,' kind of attitude, but it didn't work," Mayham Autman explained.

The president of Wisconsin Carry, Nik Clark, says 100's of thousands of people open carry and he's never heard of anything like this.

"So it really is a very unusual situation, very unique," Clark said.

The victim didn't want to go on camera but said he carried the gun because he had been jumped and held up at knife point in the past. He believes, in his case, open carry made him a target and he will no longer do it.

He said his case proves gun owners should have the right to carry concealed weapons.

Clark agrees. "By and large it is a significant deterrent, open carry is, but I think it really does make the point that Wisconsin should have concealed carry along with open carry so that people who live in a very high crime neighborhood where criminals aren't deterred by firearms would have the ability to conceal carry to protect themselves. The two really work hand in hand," Clark said.

Banned

Post imported post

:what:

Post imported post

Last time something like this came up they found out later he was lying and found the gun at his house on a separate search. If its true its to bad.

Post imported post

I have my doubts as well, but if true it would be a first! And therefore still super highly unlikely. 1 out of trillions and trillions of a chance. Plus the assumption that the gun made him a target of a thief . By the picture (if it's even him)it's hard to tell he's carrying at a glance. (for some). The guy obviously wasn't prepared/trained. Like the very end of the article says you should both CC and OC simultaneously. A dagger wouldn't be a bad idea as well. At least it works for me.

This story is extremely fishy, lack of a lot of details (the usual).I mean they didn't even give a little bit of the story they just say "he was robbed". No police comments/reports, what did the robber get? Was the robber even armed? And the guy would not comment? Did he even call the police?ahh forgetit.I'm call'n this made up here-say. takin this one for a grain of salt. Until I see more details, evidence, and reports by other media, this is just more red hu ha!

If it's true the man must feel like a total ******. Maybe that's why he wouldn't talk about it, how embarrassing.

Banned

Post imported post

if someone already has a gun pointed at you you will most likely get shot if you draw

Banned

Post imported post

especially if they sneak up behind you

or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8Eg3IREaAo

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

ericfrompahrump wrote:
    if someone already has a gun pointed at you you will most likely get shot if you draw
    Most likely true. However, if this were to happen and you felt you were going to get shot regardless of what you did, your best bet would be to try to get to your gun and dispatch the BG. Notice I described a situation where you believed you were going to be injured or killed anyway so you mightas well go down fighting. Better to try to survive then to just be a sitting duck.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

Rargos wrote:
    http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/95999354.html

Man Legally Carrying Gun Robbed at Gunpoint

By Melanie Stout

MILWAUKEE - A Milwaukee man found out the hard way that carrying a gun for protection doesn't always keep you safe. In fact, it may have made him a target.

The 34-year-old man legally owned a handgun and carried it out in the open in his holster for protection.

Neighbors say they knew he was always armed.

"It was kind of scary to just see him walking around all the time with that gun kind of just out in the open," said Shambria Mayham Autman. She lives near Teutonia and Good Hope and said they called him "The guy with the gun."

But it wasn't scary for at least one person who robbed "The guy with the gun" at gunpoint.

"I think he was trying to scare people off like, 'Yeah, don't mess with me,' kind of attitude, but it didn't work," Mayham Autman explained.

The president of Wisconsin Carry, Nik Clark, says 100's of thousands of people open carry and he's never heard of anything like this.

"So it really is a very unusual situation, very unique," Clark said.

The victim didn't want to go on camera but said he carried the gun because he had been jumped and held up at knife point in the past. He believes, in his case, open carry made him a target and he will no longer do it.

He said his case proves gun owners should have the right to carry concealed weapons.

Clark agrees. "By and large it is a significant deterrent, open carry is, but I think it really does make the point that Wisconsin should have concealed carry along with open carry so that people who live in a very high crime neighborhood where criminals aren't deterred by firearms would have the ability to conceal carry to protect themselves. The two really work hand in hand," Clark said.

But I find it extremely interesting (note the parts I highlighted in blue) that this should happen at a time when people in Wisconsin are pushing to get legislation to allow concealed carry.....................
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Post imported post

I must say, if the OC'er is on here, I would respect him for coming forward and telling the whole story. I could see how he might be embarrassed, but we all know how quickly bad things can happen, and knowing the details would help us be prepared.

edit: found more details in the Wisconsin forum

Post imported post

ericfrompahrump wrote:
    Where was his situational awareness?!? I know things can happen fast, but CC, OC, or no carry, people need to be constantly aware of their surroundings. I agree that if this actually happened, it is extremely rare. Most criminals do not attack people who are visibly armed.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead

Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

Post imported post

It is possible to be robbed while OCing. However,the fact that there are 22,000 registered members of OCDO across the country, and this is the only recorded case of an OCer being robbed (not counting the other false report), tends to make this either suspicious or the exception that proves the rule.

It is suspicious based on the fact that a) These things just don't happen; b) The report is very sketchy on details; c) The victim is pushing for CC in the article, while this is currently a political issue in WI. [funny how we don't know if the suspect was armed, if so with what, if the victim was disarmed, but we know that the victim wants WI to have CC priviledges.

If it is a true story, it just proves that you must be ever alert of your surroundings, and as an OCer, you must have already thought out this type of scenario and mentally committed to either submit or possibly take a bullet--the mere presence of the gun may NOT detera crime.

Post imported post

How long before the police report and/or more information will be available?

Chuck Norris/Ted Nugent That's the ticket for 2016!

Post imported post

I've got a couple of words for this dummy; Situational Awareness.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Post imported post

I would not call him dumb. I don't care what your situational awareness is, if you are the target of an ambush by a competent criminal the odds are not in your favor.

Just be prepared for the odd logic the media will attempt to attach. They will attempt to show OC fails as a deterrent because a few persons every few years can be victimized while OC.

This is a good reason for WI to add concealed carry to the options available.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

According to a study done back in 1989 60% of felons admitted that they avoided targeting anyone they knew was armed.

That still leaves the other 40% that would still attempt to victemize an armed person.

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

or this

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is some wild here!!!

The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1787!!:X

The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1791!!

Banned

Post imported post

some older folks can see and hear as good so their easy to sneak up on

i would know i did it when i was younger

Banned

Post imported post

and it happensevery so oftenwith cops when their wrestling a person

Post imported post

IF it's true, all I can say is damn, but my BS meter is pegged
    ‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’ Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

Sounds like someone has an agenda.

Post imported post

Smurfologist wrote:
    Â*

or this

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is some wild here!!!

The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1787!!:X

Yup, my home town Pensacola is full of "fun" teens like that one on the bad side of town.

Post imported post

KansasMustang wrote:
    IF it's true, all I can say is damn, but my BS meter is pegged
    Yeah I'd have to agree with you, seeing as how every single comment from interviewed persons is anti-gun. They sound like they were read out of a script. Until there's more proof, I'm gonna call BS too.

Post imported post

How would concealing his weapon make him less of a target than open carrying. I don't get that line of thinking.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Centurion

Post imported post

yale wrote:
    How would concealing his weapon make him less of a target than open carrying. I don't get that line of thinking.
    The line that is being put forward is that open carrying of a firearm made him a target because the theif wanted to steal the firearm. I have often seen this argument put forward by opponents of open carry, and it has some surface plausibility. Fortunately, it seems to virtually never happen, or at least to be extremely rare.

It does happen in some societies where firearms are tightly restricted. A good friend of mine, 30 years ago, would routinely point out stories where dacoits (robbers) in India would target policemen for murder and robbery in order to obtain their guns.

Robbers usually want to obtain value for minimal risk and effort, and taking a gun from an armed individual is a high risk venture. In the United States, guns are much more easily available on the black market or from household burglaries. Robbing an open carrier is extremely unusual.

Post imported post

cabbitone wrote:
    I've been wondering for a while when(not saying this is the case here) antis would start making themselves victims while carrying in order to further their overall agenda.

As in Billy No Guns go and gets a .22 for "self defense" then wanders around alone in a bad neighborhood day after day until finally becoming the victim of a crime. Just so they can say to the media "see I was armed and it didn't prevent crime, it doesn't work!"

Or worse the more crazy(fanatical?) members of the anti-movement that will actually go as far to commit crimes to further their beliefs.
    Kinda like "Never let a crisis go to waste.".... and if there isn't a crisis handy to further the agenda then create one?

Where have I seen that tactic before?
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast