• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man openly carrying is robbed at gunpoint

Rargos

imported post

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/95999354.html

Man Legally Carrying Gun Robbed at Gunpoint

By Melanie Stout

MILWAUKEE - A Milwaukee man found out the hard way that carrying a gun for protection doesn't always keep you safe. In fact, it may have made him a target.

The 34-year-old man legally owned a handgun and carried it out in the open in his holster for protection.

Neighbors say they knew he was always armed.

"It was kind of scary to just see him walking around all the time with that gun kind of just out in the open," said Shambria Mayham Autman. She lives near Teutonia and Good Hope and said they called him "The guy with the gun."

But it wasn't scary for at least one person who robbed "The guy with the gun" at gunpoint.

"I think he was trying to scare people off like, 'Yeah, don't mess with me,' kind of attitude, but it didn't work," Mayham Autman explained.

The president of Wisconsin Carry, Nik Clark, says 100's of thousands of people open carry and he's never heard of anything like this.

"So it really is a very unusual situation, very unique," Clark said.

The victim didn't want to go on camera but said he carried the gun because he had been jumped and held up at knife point in the past. He believes, in his case, open carry made him a target and he will no longer do it.

He said his case proves gun owners should have the right to carry concealed weapons.

Clark agrees. "By and large it is a significant deterrent, open carry is, but I think it really does make the point that Wisconsin should have concealed carry along with open carry so that people who live in a very high crime neighborhood where criminals aren't deterred by firearms would have the ability to conceal carry to protect themselves. The two really work hand in hand," Clark said.

younggun20

imported post

Last time something like this came up they found out later he was lying and found the gun at his house on a separate search. If its true its to bad.

steveman01

imported post

I have my doubts as well, but if true it would be a first! And therefore still super highly unlikely. 1 out of trillions and trillions of a chance. Plus the assumption that the gun made him a target of a thief :banghead:. By the picture (if it's even him)it's hard to tell he's carrying at a glance. (for some). The guy obviously wasn't prepared/trained. Like the very end of the article says you should both CC and OC simultaneously. A dagger wouldn't be a bad idea as well. At least it works for me.

This story is extremely fishy, lack of a lot of details (the usual).I mean they didn't even give a little bit of the story they just say "he was robbed". No police comments/reports, what did the robber get? Was the robber even armed? And the guy would not comment? Did he even call the police?ahh forgetit.I'm call'n this made up here-say. takin this one for a grain of salt. Until I see more details, evidence, and reports by other media, this is just more red hu ha!

If it's true the man must feel like a total douche. Maybe that's why he wouldn't talk about it, how embarrassing.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

ericfrompahrump wrote:
if someone already has a gun pointed at you you will most likely get shot if you draw
Most likely true. However, if this were to happen and you felt you were going to get shot regardless of what you did, your best bet would be to try to get to your gun and dispatch the BG. Notice I described a situation where you believed you were going to be injured or killed anyway so you mightas well go down fighting. Better to try to survive then to just be a sitting duck.

B

Bikenut

imported post

Rargos wrote:
http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/95999354.html

Man Legally Carrying Gun Robbed at Gunpoint

By Melanie Stout

MILWAUKEE - A Milwaukee man found out the hard way that carrying a gun for protection doesn't always keep you safe. In fact, it may have made him a target.

The 34-year-old man legally owned a handgun and carried it out in the open in his holster for protection.

Neighbors say they knew he was always armed.

"It was kind of scary to just see him walking around all the time with that gun kind of just out in the open," said Shambria Mayham Autman. She lives near Teutonia and Good Hope and said they called him "The guy with the gun."

But it wasn't scary for at least one person who robbed "The guy with the gun" at gunpoint.

"I think he was trying to scare people off like, 'Yeah, don't mess with me,' kind of attitude, but it didn't work," Mayham Autman explained.

The president of Wisconsin Carry, Nik Clark, says 100's of thousands of people open carry and he's never heard of anything like this.

"So it really is a very unusual situation, very unique," Clark said.

The victim didn't want to go on camera but said he carried the gun because he had been jumped and held up at knife point in the past. He believes, in his case, open carry made him a target and he will no longer do it.

He said his case proves gun owners should have the right to carry concealed weapons.

Clark agrees. "By and large it is a significant deterrent, open carry is, but I think it really does make the point that Wisconsin should have concealed carry along with open carry so that people who live in a very high crime neighborhood where criminals aren't deterred by firearms would have the ability to conceal carry to protect themselves. The two really work hand in hand," Clark said.

But I find it extremely interesting (note the parts I highlighted in blue) that this should happen at a time when people in Wisconsin are pushing to get legislation to allow concealed carry.....................

architect

imported post

I must say, if the OC'er is on here, I would respect him for coming forward and telling the whole story. I could see how he might be embarrassed, but we all know how quickly bad things can happen, and knowing the details would help us be prepared.

edit: found more details in the Wisconsin forum

Ruby

imported post

ericfrompahrump wrote:
if someone already has a gun pointed at you you will most likely get shot if you draw
Where was his situational awareness?!? I know things can happen fast, but CC, OC, or no carry, people need to be constantly aware of their surroundings. I agree that if this actually happened, it is extremely rare. Most criminals do not attack people who are visibly armed.

AZkopper

imported post

It is possible to be robbed while OCing. However,the fact that there are 22,000 registered members of OCDO across the country, and this is the only recorded case of an OCer being robbed (not counting the other false report), tends to make this either suspicious or the exception that proves the rule.

It is suspicious based on the fact that a) These things just don't happen; b) The report is very sketchy on details; c) The victim is pushing for CC in the article, while this is currently a political issue in WI. [funny how we don't know if the suspect was armed, if so with what, if the victim was disarmed, but we know that the victim wants WI to have CC priviledges.

If it is a true story, it just proves that you must be ever alert of your surroundings, and as an OCer, you must have already thought out this type of scenario and mentally committed to either submit or possibly take a bullet--the mere presence of the gun may NOT detera crime.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

I would not call him dumb. I don't care what your situational awareness is, if you are the target of an ambush by a competent criminal the odds are not in your favor.

Just be prepared for the odd logic the media will attempt to attach. They will attempt to show OC fails as a deterrent because a few persons every few years can be victimized while OC.

This is a good reason for WI to add concealed carry to the options available.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

According to a study done back in 1989 60% of felons admitted that they avoided targeting anyone they knew was armed.

That still leaves the other 40% that would still attempt to victemize an armed person.