• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man openly carrying is robbed at gunpoint

Mas49.56

imported post

Smurfologist wrote:

especially if they sneak up behind you

or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8Eg3IREaAo
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is some wild :cuss: here!!!

The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1787!!:X

Yup, my home town Pensacola is full of "fun" teens like that one on the bad side of town.

Hendu024

imported post

KansasMustang wrote:
IF it's true, all I can say is damn, but my BS meter is pegged:banghead:
Yeah I'd have to agree with you, seeing as how every single comment from interviewed persons is anti-gun. They sound like they were read out of a script. Until there's more proof, I'm gonna call BS too.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
imported post

yale wrote:
How would concealing his weapon make him less of a target than open carrying. I don't get that line of thinking.
The line that is being put forward is that open carrying of a firearm made him a target because the theif wanted to steal the firearm. I have often seen this argument put forward by opponents of open carry, and it has some surface plausibility. Fortunately, it seems to virtually never happen, or at least to be extremely rare.

It does happen in some societies where firearms are tightly restricted. A good friend of mine, 30 years ago, would routinely point out stories where dacoits (robbers) in India would target policemen for murder and robbery in order to obtain their guns.

Robbers usually want to obtain value for minimal risk and effort, and taking a gun from an armed individual is a high risk venture. In the United States, guns are much more easily available on the black market or from household burglaries. Robbing an open carrier is extremely unusual.

B

Bikenut

imported post

cabbitone wrote:
I've been wondering for a while when(not saying this is the case here) antis would start making themselves victims while carrying in order to further their overall agenda.

As in Billy No Guns go and gets a .22 for "self defense" then wanders around alone in a bad neighborhood day after day until finally becoming the victim of a crime. Just so they can say to the media "see I was armed and it didn't prevent crime, it doesn't work!"

Or worse the more crazy(fanatical?) members of the anti-movement that will actually go as far to commit crimes to further their beliefs.
Kinda like "Never let a crisis go to waste.".... and if there isn't a crisis handy to further the agenda then create one?

Where have I seen that tactic before?:cuss:

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bikenut wrote:
cabbitone wrote:
I've been wondering for a while when(not saying this is the case here) antis would start making themselves victims while carrying in order to further their overall agenda.

As in Billy No Guns go and gets a .22 for "self defense" then wanders around alone in a bad neighborhood day after day until finally becoming the victim of a crime. Just so they can say to the media "see I was armed and it didn't prevent crime, it doesn't work!"

Or worse the more crazy(fanatical?) members of the anti-movement that will actually go as far to commit crimes to further their beliefs.
Kinda like "Never let a crisis go to waste.".... and if there isn't a crisis handy to further the agenda then create one?

Where have I seen that tactic before?:cuss:
I put absolutely nothing past the anti-gun crowd.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Didn't happen this way until I see proof No name of the victim? Where's the police reports?
As I read this more critcally, I agree. No name. No police report listed. How do we know this happened? How did the reporter find out about it? Did the "open carrier" call her up? If there was a 911 call, it would be a public record, wouldn't it?

Big Boy

imported post

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/95999354.html

MILWAUKEE - A Milwaukee man found out the hard way that carrying a gun for protection doesn't always keep you safe. In fact, it may have made him a target.
The 34-year-old man legally owned a handgun and carried it out in the open in his holster for protection.
Neighbors say they knew he was always armed.
"It was kind of scary to just see him walking around all the time with that gun kind of just out in the open," said Shambria Mayham Autman. She lives near Teutonia and Good Hope and said they called him "The guy with the gun."
But it wasn't scary for at least one person who robbed "The guy with the gun" at gunpoint.
"I think he was trying to scare people off like, 'Yeah, don't mess with me,' kind of attitude, but it didn't work," Mayham Autman explained.
The president of Wisconsin Carry, Nik Clark, says 100's of thousands of people open carry and he's never heard of anything like this.
"So it really is a very unusual situation, very unique," Clark said.
The victim didn't want to go on camera but said he carried the gun because he had been jumped and held up at knife point in the past. He believes, in his case, open carry made him a target and he will no longer do it.
He said his case proves gun owners should have the right to carry concealed weapons.
Clark agrees. "By and large it is a significant deterrent, open carry is, but I think it really does make the point that Wisconsin should have concealed carry along with open carry so that people who live in a very high crime neighborhood where criminals aren't deterred by firearms would have the ability to conceal carry to protect themselves. The two really work hand in hand," Clark said.

Hiredgun30

imported post

along with carrying whether it is open or concealed, you have to have a tactical mindset and situational awareness... I work work at a prison, criminals give their intentions away thru non verbal ques... know what they are and how to spot them...

flagellum

imported post

It seems as though this man was a victim of unfortunate circumstance. Situational Aweness is good, but it is highly unlikely that he, nor anyone else on this forum, could have known what was going to happen to him before it happened. Were just going to chalk this one up as a loss.

This is also a good argument for carry OC +CC. A micro .380/.38 might have done wonders to get scum off the street and the owners property back.

1245A Defender

imported post

there was a case just like this some years ago!!
i read about it on OCDO, so there must be an old thread somewhere.
he called the cops, reported the mugging, and loss of his gun..
soon he was dicreditted, and then confessed that he faked the whole thing, i dont remember his reason..

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

Honestly, I smell a rat. The guy is likely lying. Sounds like this guy carried a gun around his neighborhood for a while to gain the "reputation" of the guy with a gun... and then, pulled this stunt to make the argument that carrying guns for protection does not work.

The YouTube poster who posted the video is just another gun grabber, and likely a part of the group of people who are working tirelessly to take our guns from us.

Situational awareness is extremely important. Also, if you've already been mugged before and the area you live in is not safe... then you need more than just a gun. If a person gets no training, and has no idea of how to actually use a gun in a tactical situation, then they just add to the problem... but then again, like I said...it seems likethis story has been elaborately staged to make the case against open carry.

frommycolddeadhands

imported post

I think the moral of the story is that a gun is a TOOL to be used for protection, not a magical item that makes anyone who is carrying invincible to crime. Open carrying is a powerful deterrent, but it is the beginning of safety mindedness, not the end. Situational awareness, good decisions, and avoiding problem areas are all part of the big picture. I'm not saying this fellow did anything wrong, I'm just making the point that you need more than just a gun on your hip to stay safe.

cscitney87

imported post

So everyone here says "OC doesn't make you a target." Then the first news story that comes along.. half of us are screaming "Show me the facts!" and contemplating calling HOAX on the whole thing..

What a joke..

This most likely really Did happen. So what? The guy was OC and got robbed. Plus 1 for the Anti-OC team..

but does that really Matter? I mean.. Really? Is that going to stop any of us from OC? No..

Situational Awareness be damned.. things can happen quickly. The hand is faster than the eye- always remember that.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Is Wisconsin one of those places like California or Utah where the weapon has to be either unloaded or with the hammer resting on an empty chamber? ("Three steps away from firing)?

OCing a firearm that isn't ready to be deployed and fired in a split-second amounts to carrying a very expensive geegaw.

Even then, if OCing makes one a "target", how is it that this does not happen again and again in California, where the BGs KNOW they have ample opportunity to present a loaded weapon before the OCer can get his into battery?? HMMMM?