• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First time OC.

desertw0lf

imported post

First of all, hello everyone. I am new here, but have lurked for a month or two now. I just got into Open Carry recently - and while I may do so when headed out to shoot down Sloan way, I have come around to the idea of doing it daily.

I have run into no problems thus far - most people don't even look twice. I am fairly comfortable wearing my sidearm and I keep it at about 2:30 tucked up close (I have a bit of a belly, and it is comfortable for me this way, but still clearly visible against a tucked shirt).

Tonight I ran to Smiths in Southern Highlands to get a birthday cake for someone's birthday party tomorrow. On the way in the door the "security" guard who hangs out near the gaming machines gave me a glance, but that was about it. No problems on the way to grab a cake - I was a bit nervous someone would overreact due to Southern Highlands being smack-dab in yuppieville as it is. I decided that I needed a tasty cold beverage and on my way to the beverage aisle (which they moved completely across the store when they remodeled recently) I passed a man and a woman. I was polite, and said "excuse me" as I passed because there was limited room with them restocking freezers and shelves. The woman began to say "oh, pardon me" but instead went "what the ****" and her male companion went "what the hell, someone need to report that shit". I just shrugged it off and kept walking - they were going to do whatever they felt like doing and I did not feel like engaging. No further problems after that, went home and had a cold one.

Sorry for the lengthy text. This was my first run-in with anyone giving me more than a glance. It went well, and was a very short interaction indeed. For that I am grateful.

LvstudentDoc

imported post

good deal always good to see new people getting into open carry. Ya you will always run into people that arent informed of the gun laws of the state/bill of rights. I cc as well as open carry, but when i first started open carrying i was at a gas station at about 3 am one morning getting some water and a customer ran out and got on his phone in a sneaky way, but i knew what he was doin. Well i paid for my drink got in my car and drove home as i was going up the street i saw two metro vehicles coming down the street to the gas station. I guess long story short if someone calls on you and u only have to get a few items odds are that you will be gone by the time the cops get there even tho there is no reason to try to evade the police. I guess all of us should be realistic and figure sooner or later someone will call the cops just because they dont know any better.

Remmy

imported post

Welcome to the forums finally! glad your first time went well. I shop at that smiths all the time as its right near my house I OC often there and have never had an issue. Even standing at the bank during the middle of the day with my girl OC as well a few looks but no confrontations. The uninformed will always be over reactive. I have only been stopped once in my neighborhood to ask about my 1911 as i was walking my dog around the blocks.

jfrey123

imported post

Welcome and great first post!!

I really think you did the right thing. You took the high road and ignored those unintelligent/uninformed comments. It's always so shocking to me that the public feels they have the right to confront us regarding our legal sidearms... You don't see anyone confronting gangbanger sissies with their saggy pants and rude behavior. You don't see anyone confronting idjiot parents who don't keep their kids behaved in public. Why are we targeted so?

desertw0lf

imported post

I use a black skeletonized-style Bianchi with a thumb-brake closure. Old LEO equipment that was my dad's that just happened to be an exact perfect fit.