• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Your first time...

The FIRST Self-Defense weapon I bought was...

• Total voters

ecocks

imported post

Surely no one will ever forget that very first time?

So, when you finally bought your FIRST SD handgun with your own money (not gifts or inherited) what factors were you thinking about?

Knock Down Power?

Revolver or Semi-Auto?

Concealability?

Capacity?

Cost factors?

Ergonomics?

How it looked in that Sonny Crockett shoulder rig you also bought that day?

How it would look if you painted it Pink?

ecocks

imported post

My first SD weapon purchased with my money was a Sig P-230 in .380 which seemed to be an adequate SD round, easily concealable, affordable and felt good when I held it.

Unfortunately, it is the worst handgun I have ever purchased.

Every time I fired, it would take a little piece of my hand in token sacrifice. After the first day on the range, my wife thought I had been shot when I placed it on the table and blood was dripping onto that new little gun rug I had bought. It was/is accurate and did the job for a few months until I bought my second one.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

First handgun I ever bought was a Glock 32C.

Bought it because it was a Glock and I had just turned 21. Someone got me convince that I needed knockdown power.

Then I got training and ditched it for a 9mm.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
imported post

First gun I owned was a Ruger SR9, however, that was a gift, so I voted ".38", as the first gun I bought with my own money was an LCR. I wanted something that I could easily conceal at work without fear being found out. I'd likely lose my job if it were discovered.

CrossFire

imported post

My first was a Taurus PT111 Millineum Pro. I used it to get my CHL then traded it in to buy a Springfield XD9sc. Sometimes I miss that Taurus.

oldkim

imported post

The original P-230 was a knock off of the Walther PPK series (James Bond gun). Both have a tendency to "bite" or "slide bite" the holder.

You do have to adjust on your grip. The newer versions (P-232 and newer PPK/S) have a larger beaver tail to keep the webbing out of the slide and reduce the "slide bite" from happening as much. This happens more for those with larger hands and if you really grip it high.

My first pistol was a Beretta 84F in .380ACP - it was during the ban so only have 10 round magazines (originally designed for 13 rounds).

My first SD gun was my Colt 1991A1 Officer's Compact Model45ACP. Completely gunsmithed. It's a thing of beauty and function. It's basically a 1911 - renamed for 1991 - Yes, I was in the Gulf War so it has sentimental value. I carried a 1911 during the war - they ran out of M9's.

Tribunal Power

imported post

*Puts on the retardent suit and prepares to be flamed*

HI-POINT C9.

And yes, I OC thatbaby every single day. I bought it because I felt that I needed a gun, and it was the best I could afford. I researched its funcionality and handled one. Most of the people who had taken the time to actually write a review on a C9 that they had actually played with gave it fair to positive reviews, althuogh there were plenty of haters commenting.

I figured any functioning gun is better than no gun at all. So far, I love it. I've put about 200 rounds through it with good results. I'm also looking around for my second, at which point the C9 will probably become the home-defense.

Mr H

imported post

I grew up shooting, but never really had much to do with handguns. Once I decided it was time, I got the M&P .40

I wanted a nightstander, as well as a solid piece for when we traveled. My son recommended the M&P (he'd carry his .45 as his service weapon if the Navy would let him). He was right about it being a good weapon to have. After about 2000 rounds, I just had my first feed hang today.

I have since gone to a GP100 (6") for the nightstand, and the Sig P329 is the travel companion. But, the M&P is still my hi-cap best friend!! In fact, we went out and played a little today and I need to finish putting it to bed.

As for the wife, she settled on the SW model 60, for a couple reasons. The grip fit her hand, and the pull--while stiffer than the SP101 I thought she would go for--is tight enough to help her feel like she has some accident-proofing.

The Wolfhound

imported post

About those HighPoints, They will never win a prize for pretty but they have a good reputation for going BANG when asked to. Lifetime warrantee is hard to sneeze at too.

Tribunal Power

imported post

The Wolfhound wrote:
About those HighPoints, They will never win a prize for pretty but they have a good reputation for going BANG when asked to. Lifetime warrantee is hard to sneeze at too.

Well put. I've kinda grown to like the way they look... It's like the ugly chick with a soul so beautiful that you stop seeing the ugly. :p

KansasMustang

imported post

I didn't have a lot of money, so I bought a little Astra Constable .380. I was happy with it at the time. Swapped it for a Ruger P89 soon after. Then, the hunger grew :celebrate for bigger and better.

jay75009

imported post

Smith & Wesson 6906

Steel/ aluminum

Medium Frame

Trigicon night sights

Houge Grips

12+1 capacity

9mm caliber

still got it! :)

still my favorate pistol out my collection , and i oc with it regularly

younggun20

imported post

First one i bought with my own money was a Taurus PT-145. I wanted something smaller for my wifes hands and knock down. Oh and cheap

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

My first was a HK USPc in .357 Sig. I had gone to gun shops all across the state looking for a handgun that fit my tiny hands. That was my biggest concern, next was conceal-ability. The last factor was that I really wanted a .357 Sig so that cut my options down significantly. I chose the USPc because it fit my hand like a dream and was in the correct caliber, plus I got a crazy deal on it from Target Sports Inc. Brand new 550 bucks! Can't beat it! She's on my side right now, and she never leaves it. She's the best girl a man could ask for ;-) she's never cheated. not once! Awfully beautiful as well.

45acpForMe

imported post

The first self defense weapon I bought was a used Remmington 870 pump action shotgun. Best home defense weapon. :)

The first pistol I bought was a Sig P220 Carry. I love Sig's but the gun is too big for me to conceal without a jacket or shirt which can conceal much larger guns anyway.

I made the mistake of thinking it was going to be my only gun so I wanted it to do everything. Silly me I have since bought many more guns and change what I carry depending on weather, clothing, OC/CC & mood. :)