• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Your first time...

The FIRST Self-Defense weapon I bought was...

• Total voters

Archangel

So, when you finally bought your FIRST SD handgun with your own money (not gifts or inherited) what factors were you thinking about?

My first gun I paid for with my hard earned money was a 4 inch Smith & Wesson 586 .357 magnum.

Knock Down Power? This was a factor. I picked the .357 because it has a wide range of cartridges I could use in it. From light .38's to heavy .357s.

Revolver or Semi-Auto? Revolver

Concealability? With a 4" barrel it was fairly concealable, and still legal for hunting since barrel length is measured from the firing pin forward. (at least it was in my home state)

Capacity? Hello? Revolver. Nope wasn't worried about capacity.

Cost factors? I bought the best I could afford. At the time it was my only handgun and I wanted something I could hunt with and use for defense as well.

Ergonomics? Yes, felt great and was very pointable.

How it looked in that Sonny Crockett shoulder rig you also bought that day? I didn't get the Galco shoulder holster till I bought my next handgun, a Taurus PT-92 9mm. :)

How it would look if you painted it Pink? IMHO no gun looks good in pink!

eastmeyers

Glock 27 .40
Because I knew I could handle a .40 it was small and I didn't know OC was legal at the time.
But did the person making this poll know alot about different rounds?
Why is .40 and 10mm grouped together?
and .44 and .45 grouped togheter?
.40 would be closer to .357sig
and .44 to .357mag, just sayin I don't understand the reasoning of the poll.

erb

Ya, I was a bit confused myself on the poll options. Furthermore, I don't understand why anyone would get a 9mm for SD... someone care to outline some pros to that?

My first SD was a Kahr P45 (KP4543N). I got it because it was the lightest .45 I could find (< 1.5lbs loaded). I wanted to be comfortable when CC.
I now CC with a Kimber Raptor II Pro 1911 with a holster in the pocket.

I can't believe it's legal to OC without a CPL. LOL It blows my mind! I've been carrying for 4 years and just found that out!

Last edited:

Bushidonate

I admit I was really ignorant when I bought my first SD hand gun, (I was 21and did not have any experience or any influences as to carrying a firearm.). I didn't think about being able to conceal it, or availability of holsters, and or accessories. I did want something that was reliabile, I was accurate with, and had good stopping power. So I purchased a Ruger P97. 45 acp. Carried hydrashocks, and a generic nylon holster. I still have it and love to shoot it. But I now carry a XD 45.

opusd2

The first handgun I ever bought for myself was a SA 1911A1 Mil Spec. I grew up with my dads stories of being in Vietnam and how his Colt saved his bacon more times than he could count and how he'd love to get one someday. That influenced my decision to get that 45 and I never regretted it. What a wonderful, accurate, easy to love sidearm.

The first one I ever got - PERIOD - was from my X Wife who got me a Browning HP in 9mm. It's an extremely accurate gun and was fun to shoot. I just wanted something of my own, so the 1911A1 was next on the list.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
First gun I bought was a Springfield XD in .45. It was right about the time when they were first super popular and all of my friends had them so I never really considered anything else for my initial handgun.

Uber_Olafsun

Glock 26 because I was looking at concealed carry at first. Now that I am pro open carry looking at something in a full size 45. Didn't want a subcompact 45 just because the kick and lack of hand size/grip on my part. Always nice to have options.

Wifes was a 380. She says she will do open carry when we go to VCDL meetings etc but would rather have it in her purse. Helped her justify getting a new purse where she could have it ready if she needs it. Also if something happens to me she is comfortable using mine as well.

ooghost1oo

Surely no one will ever forget that very first time?

So, when you finally bought your FIRST SD handgun with your own money (not gifts or inherited) what factors were you thinking about?
Knock Down Power?
Revolver or Semi-Auto?
Concealability?
Capacity?
Cost factors?
Ergonomics?
How it looked in that Sonny Crockett shoulder rig you also bought that day?
How it would look if you painted it Pink?

I didn't fret too much about knock down power when making my initial decision. I figured the knock-down power of a .45 was surpassed by good shot placement--so capacity became a concern. (During WWII, many Russians were armed only with .22 rifles, and were able to hold off the advance of Nazi troops in their cities.)

All of my research and comparison led me to a choice between a 9mm Glock or Walther P99. The P99 had slightly higher capacity (16+1), far superior ergonomics, and looked a lot nicer. Also had some cool features (SA/DA, decocker, etc) that the Glock didn't have.

Cost wasn't much of a factor. I was prepared to spend good money for a good gun.

Years later, I'm still very happy with my choice. It's my OC weapon, my defense weapon, and I've won a pretty challenging pistol elimination competition with it. The Glock's sites might be a little better, but I'll be replacing those with some after-market tritiums eventually.

Genken

Haven't heard much on this particular pistol...or it's manufacturer in this thread...

CZ 75 SP-01 9mm

Knock Down Power? Wasn't too concerned. Heard great things about the Winchester Ranger rounds
Revolver or Semi-Auto? Semi Auto, SA/DA
Concealability? Huge and heavy for my scrawny 5'7" self
Capacity? 18+1
Cost factors? $700ish with the credit card, but just got back from a deployment, and the wife(who is deathly afraid of guns) gave me an OK on it when there with me
Ergonomics? For being a small guy, fits great in my hands for a full-size frame
How it looked in that Sonny Crockett shoulder rig you also bought that day? Took a week before I bought an IWB holster for it, a Kramer horse hide. Another week and a half to get a Galco(?) OWB for it for Open carry while I wait for my CCP
How it would look if you painted it Pink? I would cry...

I've always wanted a CZ-75. I originally wanted something in .45ACP when I was getting one, but that particular CZ called out to me. I got it, and after 1000+ rounds in the 3 weeks or so I've had it, I've fired off other 9mm rounds that some guns couldn't shoot, and only had 1 round that wouldn't fire(but the slide wouldn't lock forward all the way either, so it's actually the bullet, not the gun). It's heavy, light recoil, feels good in the hands, and sights up awesomely when I present it(plus the CZ tritium signs are great), I love it.

Probably giving it to the wife(I'll buy her her own) if she likes it. Still probably giving my mom(at 5'2") a Glock 19 compact compensated. That's what she shot best at a range I took her to, so that's what she'll get, unless she prefers my CZ, then I'll get her one too.

If anything, my 3 year old daughter will get my CZ when she turns 21. It's one of those firsts I don't regret.

TechnoWeenie

My first purchase was made for the following reasons...

1. Reliability... Had to be reliable, 100%, no questions asked.
2. Ease of use.. Had to be easily fixed, easily maintained.
3. Cost.. Inexpensive gun, inexpensive ammo. The more ammo you can throw down range to train with, the better.
4. Safety.. I wanted something that I could carry with a safety on, until I got used to carrying all the time.

I chose...

taurus_pt92.jpg

Taurus PT-92...

Essentially the Beretta M9/92F, albeit with a few modifications (first of which was frame mounted safety instead of slide mounted safety), and even made at an old Beretta factory....

With the m9/92f track record of reliability, proven kills, ease of use, and without the cost of the beretta, it was a clear choice as my first gun...

I later went to a Glock 17.. To save weight...

Then to a Glock 21, to improve stopping power...(which I didn't shoot much because I didn't like the grip)

To the M&P .45 that I own now, that I absolutely LOVE... :D grouping is tighter, follow up shots are quicker, felt recoil is less than the G21.. overall... :D

ZackL

My first was a Hi-Point .40. The reason I chose it is because it was a proven caliber, I like semi-autos (but I can't wait to get my first revolver, I'm trying to decide on .44 or .357 mag.), I had to save a month to get it, and you can't beat their lifetime, no questions asked, warranty. I had to sell it to pay off a bill, but I fully intend on getting a 9mm, .40, and .45 from Hi-Point because they are good guns that you don't really care if you beat it up for the price.

Since selling I have moved to my Ruger P95. It's a great gun too and, if I could take it back, I would have bought the Ruger first and the Hi-Point later. But, I love them both and find them to be really fun to shoot and easy to use and clean.

I was actually going to buy pink grips for my Hi-Point and highlight the slide (there's a lip on it) with pink Duracoat before I sold, but never got to it.

Krusty

ROSSI .38 spl

My very first handgun was a ROSSI .38 only because I wanted a handgun and my brother (who has the FFL) didn't have a .45 or .44 in stock. Within 2 months, that Rossi was traded for a S&W Model 10 that I still have, 35 years later. I have had and still have numerous handguns generally revolvers. Lately I've been seriously considering getting an auto. (Did I say that?) My current everyday carry gun is a Charter Arms .357 Mag Pug. It travels with me everywhere.

cabarrus

My first gun was a Mossberg 12 gauge pump with the full length mag-tube (holds 8, I believe). Still have it... I like it.

First and only (so far) handgun was/is Ruger SP101 .357 in the shortest barrel. It's small enough to conceal when necessary, but powerful enough to do the job, at least that's what I've read. I'm considering a Glock 27 or 23 soon.

I've added a Ruger 10/22 to the stable too, for the kids to learn with in the 4H shooting sports club.

SPRINGFIELDMAN-21

My first handgun that i bought was a SA xd tactical 45acp i OC it everywhere i go and it shoots extremely well my next will be a SA 1911 champion in you guessed it 45acp

dukenukum

Mine was a ruger black hawk .357 mag. the only defense I needed at the time was on the farm from dump off dogs killing the farm animals. I still have it.

DCKilla

Ruger SR9

what factors were you thinking about? Cost of ammo, Capacity, Price of gun, Weight, Feel in the hand

Knock Down Power? 9mm was sufficient, 124gr +p JHP :)

Revolver or Semi-Auto? Semi-auto of course

Concealability? It's thinner than most Semi-autos and easily concealable

Capacity? 17 +1

Cost factors? Beats the cost of XDs and Glocks, but gets the job done.

Ergonomics? Hard to beat, I love it.