• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Introduction and a Question

MKIIIRobby

imported post

Hello everyone!

I came across these forums, while looking up OC/CC laws. I knew I HAD to join, seems to be a lot of good information and local people here. My name is Robby, and I live in Covington. I'm somewhat new to owning firearms. I bought my first about 6 months ago, and I already own 4 now! :lol:I seem to have caught an addiction! LOL! I already have a knife and sword collection, and it seems a gun collection is on its way.

The first gun I bought was a Ruger SR9, then a Ruger MK3 22/45, third was a NAA .22 LR Mini-Revolver, and my most recent was a Taurus PT 709 Slim. Very random selections of guns, I know, but I like them and they are all VERY affordable. I CC my Taurus 709.

Anyway... enough rambling on. My question is, where can I shoot outdoors, thats NOT a range, for free and legally? Preferably near Covington, but am willing to drive up to an hour away. I know there has to be somewhere out in Enumclaw or Black Diamond or around that area. The ranges I shoot at right now are Champion Arms and Wade's. I'd like to find a nice, safe outdoor place where I can pratice and not have to follow range rules. Thank you! :D

ak56

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'll let those who know answer your question about outdoor shooting areas, but I thought I would take a moment and welcome you to the forum. As you've already noticed, this place does have a lot of good people and good information. I've learned a lot from them myself.

There's a meet for coffee in Federal Way tomorrow morning that you may be interested in. They actually meet on the second saturday of every month. See this thread: 2nd Saturday OC Meet. Straight shot down highway 18 from Covington.

MKIIIRobby

imported post

Thank you! :)I work nights, so 9am is actually like 9pm for me. I don't see why I couldn't make it. Am I going to be the youngest one there? LOL! I'm just barely 24.

oldkim

imported post

Just to answer your question on outdoor range - within an hour.

None near Covington. Not 1 hour away. Some have mentioned areas pass North Bend and up on I-90 but those areas especially within 1000 yards of I-90 are closed.

What kind of shooting you want to do? Long range, rapid fire?

MKIIIRobby

imported post

I want to be able to do rapid fire anddraw from holster with having to pay for a membership. LOL!

Plus, are there places where I can shot objects other than metal plates or paper targets (example: old tv's, printers, just random junk) that's safe? I'm guessing the people I see do that on YouTube, its probably on there own property or WAY out deep in nowheres-ville.

If I have to drive further than an hour, that's fine. I make the trip to Cabela's in traffic all the time, lol!

What's this I hear about places in Wilkeson? I don't really travel east too often. My area of travel is mostly Covington to Southcenter to downtown Seattle to Bellevue. I'm mostly a (425) guy.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

MKIIIRobby wrote:
Am I going to be the youngest one there? LOL! I'm just barely 24.

If you are, it won't be by much. I'm 27 and have been around OCDO since 2007, shortly after I turned 24. And I'm almost sure there's a few that are active OCers that are much younger than me.

Plus, at the meet-ups, lots of folks (myself included) will bring their kids along for the ride, so you end up with a very 'chronologically-diverse' group of people.

Welcome to the board. Enjoy! There's a TON of great information that can be had from these guys around here.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Past Enumclaw is Greenwater. There is a pit about 8 miles up Fire Road 70 (FS70). There are also many shooting areas on some of the firebreaks as you head up the mountain.

oldkim

imported post

As for shooting junk - like TV's and printers. Sorry Charlie - just out of luck there. No place (legally) to shoot stuff like that within 100 miles. There is a shoot out far east that has stuff like that and exploding targets but I forget their name. They were featured on some NW show a few years back.

Your generation (20's)is stuck with paper or steel targets, unless you want to be cited for dumping trash.

As for rapid fire, using your holster - have you ever considered IDPA or USPSA (aka IPSC)? Or even steel plate challenges? Yes, they are more organized but a great way to get some easy skill building and lots of trigger time (relatively close to home too).

Some ranges you might want to consider are Renton Fish and Game, Black Diamond, West Coast Armory, Marksman in Tacoma (just the few close to you). They have leagues or conduct matches roughly each month. Don't have to be a member "per se" to just try it out but depends on the range. Cost is about $15-$20 per match. Also Champion does a practice Monday evening shoot too.

Ya, it's not like 30 years ago (of course you weren't even alive back then). I remember going to a gravel pit and shooting away at cans and whatever someone dumped. All those areas have been cleaned up and banned for shooting.

Manu

imported post

MKIIIRobby wrote:
Thank you! :)I work nights, so 9am is actually like 9pm for me. I don't see why I couldn't make it. Am I going to be the youngest one there? LOL! I'm just barely 24.
Welcome to Forum... I think you are not the younest one, in my opinion Deros is youngest He's been 21...(few times):lol:

MKIIIRobby

imported post

Well I hope to meet you all at the OC Meet-Up this Saturday in Federal Way. :D

I'll check out Renton Fish and Game soon, plus this weekend I'll probably head out to Greenwater. I do photography for a hobby, so I'll go take some nice pics and try to find some shooting areas. I'd like to do the steel plate shooting at Champion Arms, but I work Sunday-Thursday, 9:00pm-8:00am. So it's a bit of a pain trying to get certain events planned. I'll be at theChampions Arms rangetoday and probably tomorrow, both in the late afternoon/early evening with some friends.

I want to thank all of you for your help! This is the friendlist, most helpful forum I've ever been in. Well, its really only my 2nd forum. :pThe other one I'm on is VWvortex.com. I am into VW's, Audi's, Porsche's, BMW's, etc etc and I go on there for "help". :lol:I own two VW's and it's a passion of mine (one of MANY hobbies though) and those forums are very negative and pointless. I'm glad to have joined OpenCarry.org.

Metalhead47

imported post

MKIIIRobby wrote:
I want to be able to do rapid fire anddraw from holster with having to pay for a membership. LOL!

Plus, are there places where I can shot objects other than metal plates or paper targets (example: old tv's, printers, just random junk) that's safe? I'm guessing the people I see do that on YouTube, its probably on there own property or WAY out deep in nowheres-ville.

If I have to drive further than an hour, that's fine. I make the trip to Cabela's in traffic all the time, lol!

What's this I hear about places in Wilkeson? I don't really travel east too often. My area of travel is mostly Covington to Southcenter to downtown Seattle to Bellevue. I'm mostly a (425) guy.
Welcome aboard! Yes, you do have an addiction. Once you start down the path to the Dark Side, forever will it dominate your destiny. You will be assimilated, resistance is futile. :p In less than 9 months I myself went from never having owned a gun to having about a dozen at this point, couble of EBRs, reloading my own, etc etc. And OCing every chance I get. Abandon all hope, ye who enter here :what:

So on another note, how ya like that lil NAA micro-revolver? I've been thinking of one in 22mag as a "not supposed to have a" gun. As far as shooting garbage out in the woods, don't do it. Forest ranger or some such catches you and you can be fined (I think). Now bringing along your own supply of cans & bottles and cleaning them up as you go along is usually ok. Fruit makes great targets too :uhoh:

MKIIIRobby

imported post

The NAA is very cool! :DIt came with a .22lr cylinder and a .22 mag cylinder. I have the plastic folding clip thing (I don't know what to call it, lol) for the handle. Shooting the .22 mag with that handle can rattle your hand pretty well. Probably not so bad with a wooden handle, but I like being able to clip it to my pant pockets.

daddy4count

imported post

Past Enumclaw is Greenwater. There is a pit about 8 miles up Fire Road 70
No shooting on FS 70 anymore... the quarry wall up there used to be the best place around for shooting. Sadly they do not allow shooting on any of the forest land up in Enumclaw... $250 fine if you're busted.

It makes sense for most of the area... it is just too hard to tell where the trails are and people have been nearly missed by stray bullets on many occasions.

But "THE WALL" is a perfect shooting spot... wish they would open it up again.

The only place I know of to shoot outside... where there is a decent place to do it... is outside of Eatonville. Otherwise you're gonna drive a couple hours or more.

Most of Hwy 410 area is closed to shooting, immediate areas around I-90 are now closed too.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

No shooting on FS 70 anymore...
Since when.. A bunch of us were out there Memorial Weekend and the pit was open with "Shoot Safely" signs.

<edit> just got off the phone with the Forest Service and as long as we are shooting safely up there Shooting is still GOOD TO GO. There is a pamphlet you can pick up at the office in Enumlaw that spells out all the shooting rules. 11:15am 6/11/2010

daddy4count

imported post

Are you serious?!?!?

That's awesome! All summer long last year they had the "NO SHOOTING" signs up all over the place. We backpack there a dozen times a year and it has not been open.

The last time I drove past "the WALL" there were two guys shooting, I pulled over to talk to them... right next to the sign that said "No shooting, $250 fine"... decided not to ask them when they opened it up again...

I am headed up there this weekend, will have to look again and see if it has changed since last September?

I'm excited now... must check on our way up 70

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome Robby...

There are a few members that are early 20s, but it's always nice to have more!

This group is a very diverse group and is a wealth of information for OC/CC, you will learn a ton of information!

daddy4count

imported post

are there places where I can shot objects other than metal plates or paper targets (example: old tv's, printers, just random junk) that's safe?
Remember to clean up your mess... ;)

Leaving that kind of stuff strewn about is a good way to get places closed to shooters.

I'm stoked to find out if 70 is really open for shooting again... if so I know where I'm taking the kids next weekend!!!!!!

oldkim

imported post

Oh, here's that place I mentioned about exploding targets and shooting at junk (e.g. TV's, printers and I think I saw someone shoot their laptop).

http://boomershoot.org/
Welcome to Lewiston Pistol Club's Boomershoot. This is a long range, high-power, precision rifle shooting event with high explosive, reactive targets up to 700 yards away. Boomershoot is located in North Central Idaho near Orofino.[font="Arial, Helvetica"] Shooters and spectators have show up to Boomershoot from faraway locations including India, England, Alaska, California, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Montanna, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia, and Washington.[/font]

Sorry, you guys missed it this year - it was April 25, 2010. Oh well, there is next year. You can plan ahead now.

Kriegsammler

imported post

oldkim wrote:
As for shooting junk - like TV's and printers.  Sorry Charlie - just out of luck there.  No place (legally) to shoot stuff like that within 100 miles.  There is a shoot out far east that has stuff like that and exploding targets but I forget their name.  They were featured on some NW show a few years back. 

That would be the Knob Creek bi annual machine-gun shoot here in Louisville Kentucky.. Cars and kitchen appliances loaded with dynamite charges? Many large calibre machine guns all firing at once? Tracer ammo? flame throwers?

hell yeah.. ;)

-Adam