Thread: Restrictions/Laws against opening up shooting range in Triad NC?

Post imported post

Just wondering if there are city/state ordinances/laws restricting the ability to open another shooting range. I would think you would be able to open one anywhere if you are following safety protocols and following all rules.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Presume that you refer to a commercial range in an urban environment.

With lots of money, a good attorney, cooperative municipalities and an extremely good knowledge of all applicable laws, it will be anything but easy.

Add to the mix the need for good liability insurance, you now have to determine if the public will be willing to pay enough for a decent return on your investment. It is not unreasonable for range owners to have millions invested.

I private range on your own property where there is NO retail trade, is still subject to zoning laws, building codes, neighbors, safety/liability issues.

Much depends on the actual physical location.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Inside the city limits of Greensboro (and most cities in the state) it is all but impossible to open a new outdoor range as it violates the very common "no discharging of firearms" ordinances....

Outside the city limits it is usually fairly easy (not counting the NIMBYs)if you own enough land, as often the only laws are a minimum distance from an "occupied dwelling."

I mainly am referring to duplicating sort of what indoor shooting ranges have done such as Calibers range in Greensboro. Very well controlled range further away from the city center, but still inside city limits (I think). Very full, very successful range. It is the only range in the area though, and gets way too crowded most days. So you think it would be way too expensive and time consuming to get permission to open another?

Quote Originally Posted by RayBurton72 View Post
    Inside the city limits of Greensboro (and most cities in the state) it is all but impossible to open a new outdoor range as it violates the very common "no discharging of firearms" ordinances....

Outside the city limits it is usually fairly easy (not counting the NIMBYs)if you own enough land, as often the only laws are a minimum distance from an "occupied dwelling."

What is that distance?

Quote Originally Posted by merc460 View Post
    What is that distance?
    Just about every county ordinance has a different distance, but most of them have some type of minimum distance ordinance. As I recall, Guilford is 150 yards...

High Point, North Carolina, United States
    I thought it was like 30 yard or 60 like with hunting.