• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Publishing Company Puts Warning Label on US Constitution

eye95

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
...If the Founding Fathers had been a bit more foresightful then they would have enslaved the ignorant rather than merely people of color...
I am fairly certain that you did not mean this, but the word "merely" seems to add the implication that you advocate the enslavement of not just people of color, but both the ignorant and people of color.

Advocating enslaving the ignorant would be controversial enough, but saying that that should be done in addition to enslaving people of color would bring a storm no one could stand.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
SNIPIf the Founding Fathers had been a bit more foresightful then they would have enslaved the ignorant rather than merely people of color.
"Framing" fathers. As in we were framed, and have been getting our glass kicked by an ever-expanding fedgov ever since. Get the picture? :)

(I wonder which will expand the most, the fedgov or the physical universe? Another few years and even the Hubble Telescope won't beable to see all the way across the federal agencies from one side to the other. 'Course even Hubble can't penetrate the murk of the tax code, but that is another matter.)

simmonsjoe

imported post

ANY direct attack on the Founders IS an attack on Liberty, and the cause of freedom.
This is only because you have taken them as your gods. They were geniuses, whose works have endured, and have yet to be bested. They were men. If these men had been perfect, then we wouldn't have the problems we face with the progressives today. They understood this themselves very well. It is why the right to revolution is expressed so concisely. They knew they couldn't write a perfect document.

It is still the best around.

When you use the words 'liberty' and 'freedom' as charge-words, you diminish their true value. Just like saying "If it saves the life of one child, isn't it worth it?" diminishes the life of a child.

Next are you going to start cutting off journalists heads if they disagree with you?

I love the constitution, and greatly admire the founders, but blind followers scare me. Even when they purport to agree with me.

The progressive agenda is nothing new. It is as old as the country. How in the hell do you expect to fight the progressive agenda while denying its very existence?

ecocks

imported post

KansasMustang wrote:
You obviously have no Idea as to the meaning of "Progessives" which I referred to. Google the Progressive Party of the early 20th century and find out what kind of monsters we're dealing with.

That capitalizingthe P is a pretty critical grammar construction in this context.

As I said in my first sentence responding, "Of course I am progressive, ...."

arentol

imported post

Citizen wrote:
arentol wrote:
SNIP As to whether they had the right to create a constitution, I would suggest that the fact that one was created and accepted indicates they did in fact have the right to create it. If they didn't then it wouldn't have worked. It is not like it was presented as a fait-accompli. It still had to be approved by all the states to actually become valid.
I will argue the Framers had no right to create the Constitution, and base my argument on historical, well known fact---facts I mention above, easily verified facts.

In the Spring of 1787 there were calls for a convention to tune up and improve the Articles of Confederation. Once the convention got under way it self-mutated into a Constitutional Convention, doing so without the authority of the state legislatures. In fact a number of conventioneers quit the convention in protest, expressly citing the lack of authority to write a new constitution.

The Framers may have had an inherent right to create a new constitution, same as anybody else had the right to draft and propose one.
So you at once admit they had the right to do it and at the same time insist that they did not have the right?

Somehow in your mind the chosen representatives of each state did not have the right to draft a constitution while at the convention, yet if they had been a bunch of random dudes on the street they would have had such a right (perhaps because they would have been ignored)?

WTF?

Seriously dude, WTF?????

Would it "satisfy you" if they met for 5 minutes each morning, declared the days work on the Convention done, then spent the rest of their "free time" drafting a constitution?

Based on your statements it should.

Tomahawk

imported post

I think he's saying the delegates exceeded their authority to alter the Articles of Confederation by trashing them completely and writing a whole new constitution without checking back with their legislatures first. This is not the first time I've heard of this.

KansasMustang

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Citizen wrote:
John Calhoun in Disquisition points out that it is a question of self-interest.
John C. Calhoun of the Great State of South Carolina, "All societies, Calhoun claimed, are ruled by an elite group which enjoys the fruits of the labor of a less-privileged group." Still true, a concise statement of the impending culture wars. If the Founding Fathers had been a bit more foresightful then they would have enslaved the ignorant rather than merely people of color.

As to 'progressives', read and understand The Science of Liberty by Timothy Ferris.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$ Goddamn the Obamanation and its union of ignorants.
Read and understand Liberty and Tyranny by Mark Levin. Arguing with Idiots by Glenn Beck. Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand. 1984, Farenheit 451. Don't purpose to tell me what I know and what I don't know Doug, I've been studying history and politics for a long time. Read the "Communist Manifesto". Read "The Rules for Radicals" Tolstoy and Dosteyevski. These people have been trying to "Fundamentally Change" our country since 1870. They just change their nam de plume and hide out in the walls, turn the lights on em and watch em scatter like cockroaches. Read and understand the Declaration of Independence, Doug. These bastards have all but won, and I for one will not stand by and be labeled as the generation that gave up our freedom.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

arentol wrote:
Citizen wrote:
arentol wrote:
SNIP As to whether they had the right to create a constitution, I would suggest that the fact that one was created and accepted indicates they did in fact have the right to create it. If they didn't then it wouldn't have worked. It is not like it was presented as a fait-accompli. It still had to be approved by all the states to actually become valid.
I will argue the Framers had no right to create the Constitution, and base my argument on historical, well known fact---facts I mention above, easily verified facts.

In the Spring of 1787 there were calls for a convention to tune up and improve the Articles of Confederation. Once the convention got under way it self-mutated into a Constitutional Convention, doing so without the authority of the state legislatures. In fact a number of conventioneers quit the convention in protest, expressly citing the lack of authority to write a new constitution.

The Framers may have had an inherent right to create a new constitution, same as anybody else had the right to draft and propose one.
So you at once admit they had the right to do it and at the same time insist that they did not have the right?

Somehow in your mind the chosen representatives of each state did not have the right to draft a constitution while at the convention, yet if they had been a bunch of random dudes on the street they would have had such a right (perhaps because they would have been ignored)?

WTF?

Seriously dude, WTF?????

Would it "satisfy you" if they met for 5 minutes each morning, declared the days work on the Convention done, then spent the rest of their "free time" drafting a constitution?

Based on your statements it should.
I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out what I meant. It was summarized in the next sentence that you dropped when you quoted me.

Any individual has a right to propose a new constitution. None has a right to mislead the public about a convention to tune-up the the existing constitution; nor theright to take authority granted byhis state legislature and transmute it into authority to do something else.

They could have all just as easily resigned their commissions as delegates to a Tune-up Convention. Then declared that as a group of civic-minded people, they were going to work on a new constititution asa gathering of private individuals.

Or, those who planned the self-mutating convention could have called for a Constitutional Convention from the outset, rather than practicing to deceive.

arentol

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
I think he's saying the delegates exceeded their authority to alter the Articles of Confederation by trashing them completely and writing a whole new constitution without checking back with their legislatures first. This is not the first time I've heard of this.
But they didn't do that.

Because they didn't have the authority to do it.

So they couldn't and didn't.

What they did was write and propose a new constitution. This was within their authority because, as Citizen has pointed out, and only and idiot would fail to admit, It is within everyone's authority to do so at all times, PERIOD. Without such authority we have no freedom and no rights (Conversely, everyone has every right to ignore other peoples stupid proposed constitutions.)

arentol

imported post

Citizen wrote:
arentol wrote:
TehGruu wrote:
All I can say is WOW...Our country had power hunger a-holes from the get go. I guess I should have known, after all, people are people.
SNIP Either that, or these a-holes were the only ones smart enough to realize that if the states did not hang together they would surely hang separately.

Imagine what might have happened if North Carolina had done something to piss off Spain bad enough that the Spanish came over to kick their butt. Because we were a mere confederation many of the other states might have felt that since it was NC's own dang fault they shouldn't be obligated to intervene. Next thing you know the whole confederation has broken apart and turned on each other and Spain has overrun NC, SC, and Georgia. It is actually not that far-fetched an idea.
The Articles of Confederation had that point covered already.

Article III of The Articles of Confederation and Perpetual Union:

The said States hereby severally enter into a firm league of friendship with each other, for their common defense, the security of their liberties, and their mutual and general welfare, binding themselves to assist each other, against all force offered to, or attacks made upon them, or any of them, on account of religion, sovereignty, trade, or any other pretense whatever. (emphasis added by Citizen)

http://www.usconstitution.net/articles.html#Article3
Completely fails to address my point.

What if NC, acting independently, started a war while at the same time our central government consisted of 13 guys in a town hall somewhere who had to decide on everything as a committee, and who lacked the authority to commit their individual states to anything of significance? This while the states themselves were spending all their time bickering about minor issues, imposing tariffs on each other, and just generally not getting along and having TONS of issues within just three years of winning the war?

If you think that would not be the beginning of the end of the United States of America, you are a king of fools, because the end had already begun. Interstate commerce issues alone would have killed our nation off inside of 20 years.

Valley Forge and the two years of war leading up to it taught the "Federalists" (many of whom were officers in the army during that period) that a weak central government would be the death of our nation. A general reporting to a sub-committee reporting to a committee reporting to individual state senates, spread hundreds of miles apart during a war and a time of very slow travel and communication is no way to run a war. The writing was on the wall, and it said "A nation with a completely ineffectual central government is no nation at all." They were right of course, and they took the necessary steps to calmly and reasonably correct this issue.

I mean gesus, look at the articles. If I had to live in that nation today (not that it would have made it this long) I would move to Canada in a heartbeat:

If you are poor you can't cross state lines. WTF?

Rights are established on a per-state basis and you have only the rights given to you by the state you are currently in. Meaning you could have no freedom of speech in Virginia, and if you published something Virgina didn't like while in New York then you could be arrested the second you entered Virgina. Nice.

The central government is run by a committee of 13 Congressmen. Meaning even the most trivial issues would have to be debated and voted on. No executive branch to make day-to-day decisions... Not that they had much to power to do anything anyway though.

The Congress was the final arbitrator for disputes between states, and a Quorum was sufficient to do most things. So if 7 states decided to back each other up against the other 6 there would be nothing the others could do about it. Recipe for disaster.

The states are required to pay into the central government so it can do its thing, but the central government has no ability to actually force any state to make its payments. Delinquency had no meaning, states could ignore the central government entirely if they liked (and some did like).

Oh, and the best part of the Articles, which resolves all issues:
The articles could be altered by Congress as long as the states Ratified the changes.

How does all this dovetail together. Lets see:

The convention held in 1787 was not some random meeting. It was 100% legal and approved meeting of Congress, you know, the very people set out in the Articles as the only people with the ability to alter the articles. "But Citizen says they didn't have that right!!!" He is wrong, by definition that was precisely their right (with ratification), and clearly nobody else had more right than Congress itself!

Well, wasn't this the wrong TIME to be changing the Articles? Nope, just the right time actually. After just 4 years of peace a special Convention was being held because the Articles were NOT WORKING, and needed to be rewritten to keep states from having so many disputes with no acceptable resolutions in a timely manner. Speaking of which, it is funny that Citizen brought up Rhode Island earlier too. Basically every state but Rhode Island OPENLY admitted the Articles were broken. Rhode Island knew the articles were not working, but they also knew that if anything significant was changed at the convention they were going to lose their lucrative tax on trade coming down a vital road that ran through the state. So Rhode Island chose not to attend hoping that would keep the Articles from being altered. Obviously RI didn't ratify they constitution, they probably had a surplus so big from those taxes that even their rats wore suits and ties (or the appropriate time-period equivalent)!

So, congress had the right to change the articles, and they were there TOO change them. How is there any debate over whether they had the right to create a new constitution? I suppose one could argue that they should have only modified the articles, not re-written them entirely. However, that is merely semantics since they had the right to re-write them in any way they chose and were there to do just that.

I said it before, and I say it again. If they didn't have the right, they couldn't have done it. If more than one state had said no, it wouldn't have happened. They all agreed. WTF is the problem?

eye95

imported post

arentol wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

What they did was write and propose a new constitution. This was within their authority because, as Citizen has pointed out, ... [it] is within everyone's authority to do so at all times, PERIOD. Without such authority we have no freedom and no rights (Conversely, everyone has every right to ignore other peoples stupid proposed constitutions.)
+1

It is called Liberty.

Edited to correct some random and misleading formatting wowbb decided to throw in.

VAopencarry

imported post

Broondog wrote:
i find it even more deplorable that out of 149 reads (as of this post) that no one has bothered to even comment on this. we won't even discuss the outright rage i feel about this! i posted this on another board with far fewer members and at least got 5 responses out of it.

i guess Americans, including so-called patriotic gun owners, have become utterly complacent with the sad state of affairs in this country.

or maybe Dancing with the Stars is on?

:X:cuss::X

um....yeah.. we're complacent because we didn't post that we were outraged on an internet forum. Because posting on an internet forum is the preferred way to affect change.:banghead:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

arentol wrote:
SNIP The convention held in 1787 was not some random meeting. It was 100% legal and approved meeting of Congress, you know, the very people set out in the Articles as the only people with the ability to alter the articles. "

Arentol is being misleading here. Congress did not approve the Grand Convention* to create an entirely new government. The language of the congressional act is still available today. That act approved a convention to improve the Articles of Confederation.

A Convention of delegates should meet "for the sole purpose of revising the articles of Confederation and reporting to Congress and the several legislatures such alterations and provisions therein as shall, when agreed to in Congress and confirmed by the States, render the federal Constitution adequate to the exigencies of government and the preservation of the Union." (Italics in the original of the version reprinted in Federalist 40.)

http://www.constitution.org/fed/federa40.htm

One can readFederalist #40 and see the specious reasoning. Remember, The Federalist essays, are at their heart nothing more than Public Relations open letters intended to persuade people to accept the constitution in the battleground states where they were published in newspapers.

I think Arentol is reading too much into my commentary. Certainly he is resisting out of proportion to my point. My point is not to do away with the constitution. As I mentioned above, my point is to get people to see past the patriotic summary we have all been fed since elementary school. It was by no means selfless sacrifice by men pure as the driven snow. They were lawyers and politicians. They were bright enough to pull off their goal bloodlessly, but that does not mean they created an error-free constitution. Nor, does it mean, and this is the main point, that the constitution is a faultless reference point that is always right. Start looking at it with a critical eye.

* "Grand Convention" was the term usedprior to the convention. It wasn't called the Constitutional Convention until later. (hint, hint)

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Citizen wrote:
John Calhoun in Disquisition points out that it is a question of self-interest.
John C. Calhoun of the Great State of South Carolina, "All societies, Calhoun claimed, are ruled by an elite group which enjoys the fruits of the labor of a less-privileged group." Still true, a concise statement of the impending culture wars. If the Founding Fathers had been a bit more foresightful then they would have enslaved the ignorant rather than merely people of color.

As to 'progressives', read and understand The Science of Liberty by Timothy Ferris.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$ Goddamn the Obamanation and its union of ignorants.
THE BLAGO TRAIL By Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBacks (0)A top aide to former Gov. Rod Blagojevich said he believed Barack Obama knew of Blagojevich's plot to win himself a presidential Cabinet post in exchange for appointing Valerie Jarrett to the U.S. Senate. We're certainly going to learn more about this mess today. Looks like the ObamaBots need to work on some explanations.

Even though some people say we are living in a "knowledge economy," we are living in a political atmosphere in which ignorance has more power than ever. Washington politicians who have never run any business are telling all kinds of businesses - from automobile companies and banks to hospitals and insurance companies - how they have to run their businesses. This is the golden age of ignorance in power. Thomas Sowell