• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does anyone carry copies of Oregon Open Carry Laws on them?

Volcom777

imported post

Will be my first time open carrrying this weekend. I couldnt find the exact law or code that states "Oregon is and Open Carry State", or something of the sort. Could anyone point that to me? I would like to print something out and have it with me.

We-the-People

imported post

I carry a condensed version of Oregon Revised Statutes as applies to firearms carried by a person with a CHL. I simply copied and pasted the relevant sections from the legislative website into a word processor. Then I deleted all the stuff that didn't apply to ME (CHL and open carry) and highlighted the stuff that was most likely to be needed.

In 10 pitch font it takes 3 sheets of paper, double sided print, and folds up nicely with my trifold pamphlets.

I also made sure that I had the DEFINITIONS of "public place" and "public building" sections,the "menacing" statute, the 170 and 173 "preemption" parts, etc.

Teddybearfrmhell

imported post

i do not carry a copy because i figure if a good cop is going to arrest me, he will not be swayed by a copy of something i am giving him.....

and if i am arrested, my lawyer better be able to look up the laws.....

and if anyone i meet is just curious, i refer them here....

cuts down on paperwork!

:cool:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Teddybearfrmhell wrote:
i do not carry a copy because i figure if a good cop is going to arrest me, he will not be swayed by a copy of something i am giving him.....

cuts down on paperwork!

1) Correct, a LEO will do what he intends to do...

2) Correct, your lawyer darn well better be able to look up the laws...

3) Well..... I do carry around the WA pamphlets to give to people who are genuinely curious about open carry. It has led to many people joining us here on OCDO and gives them something tangible and believable to reference and assist in educating their curiosity.

When I leave the house and open carry (90% of the time) I have made a pledge to be courteous, polite, professional and take the time to educate others. I would encourage you to do the same.

Teddybearfrmhell

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
Teddybearfrmhell wrote:

cuts down on paperwork!

3) Well..... I do carry around the WA pamphlets to give to people who are genuinely curious about open carry. It has led to many people joining us here on OCDO and gives them something tangible and believable to reference and assist in educating their curiosity.

When I leave the house and open carry (90% of the time) I have made a pledge to be courteous, polite, professional and take the time to educate others. I would encourage you to do the same.
while i do NOT carry educational materiel with me, as i stated, i DO refer them directly to the source.... OPENCARRY.ORG.... this way they get the information unfiltered by my opinions and prejudices.... and i am always polite and professional because i totally believe that an "armed society is a polite society"

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Teddybearfrmhell wrote:
gogodawgs wrote:
Teddybearfrmhell wrote:

cuts down on paperwork!

while i do NOT carry educational materiel with me, as i stated, i DO refer them directly to the source.... OPENCARRY.ORG.... this way they get the information unfiltered by my opinions and prejudices.... and i am always polite and professional because i totally believe that an "armed society is a polite society"

Teddy,

I do understand, I am just saying that people are extremely forgetful and if you give them a tangible object they are more likely to find us and build the movement.

Teddybearfrmhell

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
Teddybearfrmhell wrote:
gogodawgs wrote:
Teddybearfrmhell wrote:

cuts down on paperwork!

Teddy,

I do understand, I am just saying that people are extremely forgetful and if you give them a tangible object they are more likely to find us and build the movement.

i AM one of the forgetfull, any pamphlet or card or flyer would be perched on my dresser , ready to go.... and still there evertime i came back!

:banghead:

We-the-People

imported post

Pretty cool but I prefer my personally developed, printed copy of relevant laws. It makes a handy "folder" to place my Open Carry pamphlets into and then it just slips into a back pocket or, during winter, the inside pocket of my coat. At school I keep pamphlets in my binder.