Thread: McDonald v. Chicago: Daley's Last Stand?

Post imported post

McDonald v. Chicago: Daley's Last Stand?

The 7th District Court of Appeals is not the 7th Cavalry, but the outcome of this case for Mayor Daley – a fanatical anti-gun demagogue – and other like-minded public officials across the nation could be nothing short of Custer’s disaster 134 years ago.

http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seattle-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m6d11-McDonald-v-Chicago-Daleys-Last-Stand

Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/27zotos

Post imported post

Assuming that McDonald comes out the way everyone thinks it will... has there ever been a case where a more widespread set of laws will suddenly become illegal?

There are a couple of states, and probably hundreds if not thousands of local jurisdictions which will soon find themselves to varying degrees on the wrong side of McDonald. Will most of them take the DC route and re-write their laws to be as difficult as they think they can get by with, or will they do nothing and wait to be sued, or will they do the smart (and cheaper) thing and just repeal or fix their illegal laws as soon as they can?

It's going to be a nation-wide "popcorn" event.

Someone needs to set up a website to keep track of it all!

TFred

Post imported post

"Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Post imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
    TFred wrote:
    Assuming that McDonald comes out the way everyone thinks it will... has there ever been a case where a more widespread set of laws will suddenly become illegal?

There are a couple of states, and probably hundreds if not thousands of local jurisdictions which will soon find themselves to varying degrees on the wrong side of McDonald. Will most of them take the DC route and re-write their laws to be as difficult as they think they can get by with, or will they do nothing and wait to be sued, or will they do the smart (and cheaper) thing and just repeal or fix their illegal laws as soon as they can?

It's going to be a nation-wide "popcorn" event.

Someone needs to set up a website to keep track of it all!

TFred
    Just as a guess, the direction the state and local governments take will be dictated by the political leanings of the elected officials. The more "progressive" will probably take the DC route, the less "progressive" and/or less intelligent will do nothing and wait to be sued.

What should be happening in all of those areas with potentially unconstitutional firearms restrictions is that the citizens should be rallying to put people in office who will A) listen to the people and B) respect the Constitution.

I think November is going to generate a lot of surprises.
    Yes, I would agree that the responses will vary by jurisdiction. This is where we come to help. I know that here in Washington many members of the OCDO site have written letters to local jurisdictions for them to comply with our awesome state preemption statute. We have for the most part had great success in having local cities rewrite the statutes.

I would assert that we need to do the same all across the country, starting with your city and county.
    Live Free or Die!