• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Credit Union Policy

ichigo

imported post

This is an excerpt from a policy I just received from my Credit Union's branch manager. I look at codes all the time in my line of work but I think my emotions may be clouding my better judgment.:) Being a member of the CU and having a CCW does not classify me as Authorized personnel right? Let me know what you think? This following is the policy as it was given to me.

General Policy Statement:
Our goal is to provide a safe workplace for all employees, customers, vendors, and guests and to protect Credit Union property. To promote a safe workplace and to reduce the risk of violence, all threatening, aggressive, and violent behavior, including verbal and written threats and physical attacks are prohibited. The possession of firearms, ammunition, and dangerous or deadly weapons on Credit Union premises or Credit Union controlled space, except by authorized personnel, is also prohibited. Such conduct by employees or non-employees will not be tolerated.

Prohibited Conduct. Our Credit Union will not tolerate any form of workplace violence or threat of violence committed by employees or non-employees. Such prohibited behavior includes but is not limited to: Possessing a firearm or other weapon in Credit Union facilities, on Credit Union property or while on Credit Union business…

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Well, it's up to you if their policy warrants you to find a different financial institution.

However, if your primary mode of carry in concealed, you may not care about their policy.

Dare you say which credit union this is?

LovesHisXD45

imported post

I'll bet it's the University Of Utah Credit Union. :lol: If you don't want to change banks, then just conceal in there. If you plan on getting a new financial institution, then just open carry in your old bank until they give you trouble, at which time, you can ask them to close all of your accounts and walk away for good. They will hear a statement like that loud and clear.

Kevin

ichigo

imported post

Thanks, I figured it read that way. Crap. There's no reason to keep the institution secret. I'm sure there are plenty that have the same policy. This one happens to be Deseret First. My attire has changed in addition to recent policy changes at my work that require me to conceal so its usually concealed when I enter. This may be one I have to eat. I don't see going to the board of directors for a policy change will make any difference seeing how there is an LDS connection. Possible but unlikely. Thanks for the input. If it is a choice to either go to a bank that doesn't allow guns or go to a bank that doesn't allow guns...I will choose the closer one with easier access.
Kyle

-banki-

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

It says authorized personnel, right? Doesn't having a UT CC permit make YOU authorized? It doesn't say what their definition of 'authorized' is.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

About authorized....

Utah State Constitution
US Constitution
Concealed Weapons Permit

Then there was that footnote in a recent case involving officers in SLC and a partially disabled person in a park who was reported to have a gun.....

Personally, I say you are authorized!

Trekker

imported post

JoeSparky wrote:
About authorized....

Utah State Constitution
US Constitution
Concealed Weapons Permit

Then there was that footnote in a recent case involving officers in SLC and a partially disabled person in a park who was reported to have a gun.....

I would agree... as long as there are no openly posted signs in the establishment that prohibit weapons. You are authorized.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

Trekker wrote:
JoeSparky wrote:
About authorized....

Utah State Constitution
US Constitution
Concealed Weapons Permit

I would agree... as long as there are no openly posted signs in the establishment that prohibit weapons. You are authorized.
The question though is WOULD THE CREDIT UNION VIEW YOU AS AUTHORIZED?

Utah_Patriot

imported post

I open carry all the time at this credit union all the time never had issue with the credit union ever. I go their at least 2 or 3 times a week.

This is the West Valley City location

Trekker

imported post

>>The question though is WOULD THE CREDIT UNION VIEW YOU AS AUTHORIZED?

In my humble opinion that really does not matter... unless otherwise posted, state and local law trumps CU policy. Since it is private property they have the right to ask an OC to leave.

LovesHisXD45

imported post

"Personnel" to me would signify employment in the credit union in some capacity IE: the people who bring and take cash in armored trucks etc... Although not direct employees of the credit union, they may consider contractors who work with them, or law enforcement, to be "authorized personnel". If they were referring to the public, they may have worded it "authorized persons" and not "personnel". I'm just stabbing in the dark here though. It's just a play on words.

Kevin

colormered

imported post

In the end, it remains your choice as to how to deal with this situation. If I were in the same situation, I would quietly CC for as long as nobody else made an issue of it. If and when it becomes an issue, I would politely inform them I would be taking my business elsewhere, and that it had obviously not been a problem for the last 15 years (or whatever) that I have been coming here, etc. etc.

Utah_Patriot

imported post

What happened it would help the rest of us know more about the situation and how we could give you better advice.

A little more info would be nice.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

Trekker wrote:

In my humble opinion that really does not matter... unless otherwise posted, state and local law trumps CU policy. Since it is private property they have the right to ask an OC to leave.
And I agree with you 100%! And as Citizens, we have the right to choose with whom we will conduct business.

younggun20

imported post

I do business as Mountain America credit union and Cyprus credit union, neither one have ever gave me any hassle. Ive had a couple guys ask me for more info on OC and how I became aware of it. But nothing ever bad.

Trekker

imported post

younggun20 wrote:
I do business as Mountain America credit union and Cyprus credit union, neither one have ever gave me any hassle. Ive had a couple guys ask me for more info on OC and how I became aware of it. But nothing ever bad.
And that is a good thing... it is a matter of public education in many cases.

Trekker

imported post

JoeSparky wrote:
Trekker wrote:

And I agree with you 100%! And as Citizens, we have the right to choose with whom we will conduct business.
Exactly!!