• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Printing"?

marcp

imported post

I just found this site yesterday, what a GREAT source of information! Just got my pistol permit in April, and while waiting for the paperwork to go through, I tried to educate myself as best I could on CT's gun laws. While I was researching, I did read at CT.gov that it was NOT illegal to open carry, yet I and many of my friends that have their permits have heard and been taught that you don't even want to be caught "printing" your gun. So, I guess my question is that, really you can't get hit with a breech of peace charge for "printing" since open carry is legal in our state, right? Thanks

NickNt

imported post

THat is a very good question and one i want answered as well since sometimes i wear shirts that are a bit tighter then others.

bennor

imported post

If you read the actualstatute. Sec. 53A-181 Breach ofPeace,you would think not. However LEO's sometimes willarrest people and let the lawyers figure it out. There are a few statues that a LEO canuse when arresting someonewho is legally carrying and didn't violate any other laws/statues, but that doesn't mean its legal or that it will hold up in court. Below are just a few possible statues they could claim.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/pub/chap952.htm#Sec53a-181.htm

Sec. 53a-181. Breach of the peace in the second degree: Class B misdemeanor. (a) A person is guilty of breach of the peace in the second degree when, with intent to cause inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or recklessly creating a risk thereof, such person: (1) Engages in fighting or in violent, tumultuous or threatening behavior in a public place; or (2) assaults or strikes another; or (3) threatens to commit any crime against another person or such other person's property; or (4) publicly exhibits, distributes, posts up or advertises any offensive, indecent or abusive matter concerning any person; or (5) in a public place, uses abusive or obscene language or makes an obscene gesture; or (6) creates a public and hazardous or physically offensive condition by any act which such person is not licensed or privileged to do. For purposes of this section, "public place" means any area that is used or held out for use by the public whether owned or operated by public or private interests.

(b) Breach of the peace in the second degree is a class B misdemeanor.

Sec. 53a-181a. Creating a public disturbance: Infraction. (a) A person is guilty of creating a public disturbance when, with intent to cause inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or recklessly creating a risk thereof, he (1) engages in fighting or in violent, tumultuous or threatening behavior; or (2) annoys or interferes with another person by offensive conduct; or (3) makes unreasonable noise.

(b) Creating a public disturbance is an infraction.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/pub/chap952.htm#Sec53a-182.htm

Sec. 53a-182. Disorderly conduct: Class C misdemeanor. (a) A person is guilty of disorderly conduct when, with intent to cause inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or recklessly creating a risk thereof, such person: (1) Engages in fighting or in violent, tumultuous or threatening behavior; or (2) by offensive or disorderly conduct, annoys or interferes with another person; or (3) makes unreasonable noise; or (4) without lawful authority, disturbs any lawful assembly or meeting of persons; or (5) obstructs vehicular or pedestrian traffic; or (6) congregates with other persons in a public place and refuses to comply with a reasonable official request or order to disperse; or (7) commits simple trespass, as provided in section 53a-110a, and observes, in other than a casual or cursory manner, another person (A) without the knowledge or consent of such other person, (B) while such other person is inside a dwelling, as defined in section 53a-100, and not in plain view, and (C) under circumstances where such other person has a reasonable expectation of privacy.

(b) Disorderly conduct is a class C misdemeanor.

GoldCoaster

imported post

Welcome aboard.

Check out www.ccdl.us and in the Resources Tab, under Documents load up and print the "Is that Legal?" pamphlet (it's a tri-fold).

One of our executive members collected the relevant statutes and put them in an easy to read (and carry) document.

Rich B

imported post

In Connecticut it is legal to open carry if you have a permit. Post a link to any state resource you got an impression otherwise from. There are still some misinformed people and LEOs out there though, so you must be cautious and understand the current risks.

If you are going to carry concealed, you are best to just stay concealed. Printing defeats the purpose and advantages of CCW, and in my opinion, printing is more likely to alarm people than just flat out open carrying.

Keep reading the forum, you will learn a lot. Read about my arrest in Wallingford, but take it with a grain of salt realizing I open carry a lot and any negative issues or encounters have been an extreme rarity. Also remember that the Wallingford Police admit they were flat out wrong and that open carry is legal in this state.

MGoduto

imported post

I've always thought that the phrase '...with intent to...' isthe significant part of the statutes. If I'm peaceably going about my business, how the f*** does that qualify as '...intent to cause...alarm..'?

Dumbass people...

marcp

imported post

GoldCoaster, it's funny you should mention that pamphlet. I was buying some ammo at a place in Prospect the other day and picked up that pamphlet there, that's how I found this site.

Rich B, from what I have read from official state of CT websites, I never saw anything that led me to believe open carry was illegal, but like you said, there is alot of misinformation out there. I think the majority of new permit holders in CT are taught that this is a concealed carry state only and your firearm should never be exposed or be allowed to print.

If you are carrying concealed, I agree, it's best to keep it that way. I guess my question was though, if it's summer and you've got an OWB holster and a baggy t-shirt keeping things pretty well concealed and you move in the right way printing your weapon, this should not be enough to warrant a breach of peace charge considering open carry is legal? The firearm is still securely holstered and not being presented in a threatening manner.

I have already read about 75% of the topics in the Connecticut section of this site already, including your incident in Wallingford, and I applaud you and others for exercising your rights! It's not always an easy thing to do when you have to educate fellow citizens AND law enforcement about the CURRENT LAWS!

Rich B

imported post

Like I said, open carry is legal. Breach of peace and disorderly conduct are not applicable charges just for carrying a firearm someone can see.

This does not mean the police will not respond and as my incident shows, you could even be arrested. It is pretty clear though that neither charge will stand.

LEOs can be just as misinformed as citizens, it is just a fact of life.

If you print, BoP is not a valid charge. If you are hassled remember to stay polite and professional.

dcmdon

imported post

macrp,

You may choose to carry concealed like I do. But the fact that OC is legal means you do not have to worry about printing so much.

Before I was aware that OC was legal I would stand in front of a mirror and twist and turn looking to see if my gun was noticeable. I too had been told by my pistol permit instructor that "printing" could land me in jail.

But now that I know OC is legal, I am much more casual about concealing. I'm happy with 90% concealed whereas before I felt I needed to make sire no lumps were visible under any circumstance.

Now, I will wear a full sized glock in a pancake holster with only a T shirt over it. If yo ulook closely, you can see a definite bulge.

But 95% of all people spend their day in a daze, not noticing anything.
The other 5% may see it but assume its a cell phone or something like that.

So, in short. I choose to cover the gun, but don't worry about printing.

Don