• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCed at Fred Meyer and encountered..

Aaron1124

imported post

Posted this the other day on the Washington forum, but just thought I'd repost on this sub forum.

Stopped by Fred Meyer with my wife at about 7:00 - 7:30 this evening to pick up some milk. Not a word from anybody, as usual. At least not yet. I paid for my milk, and went to leave, but as I was making my way toward the exit door (near the electronics section), I was stopped by a group of four Scotsmen, armed and OCing swords. They were all in kilts, too. One of the bunch approached me and acknowledged my firearm. He said "Nice Ruger, buddy" (In a fairly thick accent). I told him "Thanks!", while at the same time, being impressed that he was able to determine that it was a Ruger at the distance he was at. I also acknowledged his sword (well, dirk), as I'm an ancient weapons collector myself. The one who initiated conversation with me was carrying a dirk, in a sheath placed on his belt, where as the other three had what appeared to be broadswords, sheathed over their shoulder.

We casually talked for about 5 minutes. He introduced himself and his "brothers" to me (not sure if they were his literal brothers, or good friends), and we chatted about firearms, swords, and weaponry in general. He asked me if I've ever gotten any grief from anyone while carrying out in public, and I told him only a couple of times, and that I actually just started openly carrying after a couple years of concealing. I told him that I felt it not only helped from a self defense stand point, but as a way to help non firearm owners to get accustomed to the idea and sight of open carry. They all agreed with me, and said that they actually get quite a bit of questioning (although more so from an inquisitive perspective rather than giving them grief).

All in all, a very cool experience. I'm actually surprised we weren't approached by an employee, trying to figure out what we were up to. Not even sure if we were noticed, albeit being in front of the electronics department.

erichonda30

Banned
imported post

437479931bba3.jpg

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

So why were they there, after all? Visiting from Scotland, or doing some kind of culture thing?

That's pretty awesome! Nothing says "Don't worry about the guy with a gun" like a group of swordsmen in skirts. :lol:

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Aaron1124

imported post

mcdonalk wrote:
So why were they there, after all? Visiting from Scotland, or doing some kind of culture thing?

That's pretty awesome! Nothing says "Don't worry about the guy with a gun" like a group of swordsmen in skirts. :lol:

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate
Not sure if they were visiting or if they were permanent residents. They seemed very familiar with the law though, so it showed they either did a lot of research, or have lived here a long time. Would have made it all better had they all been doing that Banana Dance!