• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Renting and OCing ?

lance galloway

imported post

Hear is a ? someone asked me.

If you rent an apartmentcan the landlord tell you that he does not want you to carry a gun on his property or he will kick you out ?

I rent myself and OC everywhere in my apartment building with no problems yet but I thought it was something I should know.

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
No he can not. when you pay rent that property is known as your residence legally you can carry and there is nothing the land lord can do about it.

What if there is a 'no firearm policy' in the lease or rental agreement that you sign? Or is it not legal for them to do that? I am seriously curious.

My pistol is not a pet and I don't pet it either. :lol:

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

The word "firearm" occurs in 43 chapters of the Wisconsin Statutes. The title of none of those statutes, to me, clearly relates to contracts. There are as many chapters of Wisconsin Administrative Regulation but I do not have a copy of them to search.

Contract law is a very mature specialty, with huge volumes of precedent. There are folks here, Pointman that I recall, that advertise "property managers" that may have experience with renting.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

In Washington state when I lived there a few years back one entire community was a "Gun Free Zone". They had posted road signs stating such and that it was illegal to enter the subdivision with firearms. This was in Silverdale, WA and I lived just across from this "Safe haven". :shock:
In Florida, some homeowners associations have a "No firearms clause" which may be buried in 300 pages of B.S. I had to read every line to make sure there was nothing in the document related to any rights limitations.

So there could be something in a rental or lease agreement that bars your right to keep and bear arms. Gotta read the whole thing before signing it.

:exclaim:

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

You can not be evcited for doing something that is perfectly legal.

it is your legal right to own and possess a firearm as long as you are not a felon.

I would think that an eviction on grounds of you owning or possessing a firearm would be grounds for a suit in equity.

Anyone who signs a lease which indicates that the leasee can not own or possess a firearm is an idiot.

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:

it is your legal right to own and possess a firearm as long as you are not a felon.

I would think that an eviction on grounds of you owning or possessing a firearm would be grounds for a suit in equity.

Anyone who signs a lease which indicates that the leasee can not own or possess a firearm is an idiot.

I wouldn't make that blanket statement. There are many condominium associations that do not allow barbecuing on the balconies even though technically you are an owner. There was that vet who was going to be evicted for displaying an American Flag in his window. The only reason it did not go through was not a legal reason but a public relations one.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

paul@paul-fisher.com wrote:
J.Gleason wrote:

I wouldn't make that blanket statement. There are many condominium associations that do not allow barbecuing on the balconies even though technically you are an owner. There was that vet who was going to be evicted for displaying an American Flag in his window. The only reason it did not go through was not a legal reason but a public relations one.
Barbecuing on a balcony is a violation of the fire code and the issue with the flag, if it had gone through would have resulted in a lawsuit for violating the persons 1st Amendment rights and I am sure he would have won. Again a suit in equity. Hit them where it hurts, in the pocket book, it is the only way they will understand.

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Barbecuing on a balcony is a violation of the fire code and the issue with the flag, if it had gone through would have resulted in a lawsuit for violating the persons 1st Amendment rights and I am sure he would have won. Again a suit in equity. Hit them where it hurts, in the pocket book, it is the only way they will understand.

I would doubt they would lose. It sounds like in your opinion that association rules are all illegal. Some places do not allow 1 ton or greater trucks to be in your driveway or storing your boat or camper. Once again, these are at houses you own!

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:

I would doubt they would lose. It sounds like in your opinion that association rules are all illegal. Some places do not allow 1 ton or greater trucks to be in your driveway or storing your boat or camper. Once again, these are at houses you own!
That is correct and your dump trucks and other such items can be stored in another place to maintain the appearance of the gated community. However none of those restrictions infringe on your rights. You v=can still own the truck just can't park it there and I am sure that is something that is written in the agreement.

If I were to go to some community such as this to lease a home or buy a home and there was a stipulation that I couldn't own or possess a firearm then i wouldn't sign. IMHO anyone who does is a sheep. If you allow your rights to be taken away then how can you complain?

TITLE 42 > CHAPTER 21 > SUBCHAPTER I > §1983
§1983. Civil action for deprivation of rights
Every person who, under color of any statute, ordinance, regulation, custom, or usage, of any State or Territory or the District of Columbia, subjects, or causes to be subjected, any citizen of the United States or other person within the jurisdiction thereof to the deprivation of any rights, privileges, or immunities secured by the Constitution and laws, shall be liable to the party injured in an action at law, suit in equity, or other proper proceeding for redress, except that in any action brought against a judicial officer for an act or omission taken in such officer’s judicial capacity, injunctive relief shall not be granted unless a declaratory decree was violated or declaratory relief was unavailable. For the purposes of this section, any Act of Congress applicable exclusively to the District of Columbia shall be considered to be a statute of the District of Columbia.

Seems pretty clear to me

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:

Yup, it sure was a PR NIGHTMARE for the Property managers. they got a few thousand death threats from people all over the country.:lol:

Carryon

imported post

Lance, when you were looking for rentals did you ever come across a stipulation on gun ownership?

I would agree to avoid rentals that would try to put the restriction on you or your friends.

B

bhancock

imported post

I think there are constitutional issues that could be challenged if a property owner restricted rights to a lessee including but not limited to the 2nd amendment. If however you voluntarily give up those rights by signing a restrictive lease, that could be a whole different matter and would probably get into all that contract law stuff. If the landlord or association made the change or came up with a rule after the handshake or lease signing, possibly based on your behavior of carrying a firearm, then again I think you could have a reasonable case in equity.

lance galloway

imported post

Carryon wrote:
Lance, when you were looking for rentals did you ever come across a stipulation on gun ownership?

I would agree to avoid rentals that would try to put the restriction on you or your friends.

NO. BeforeI signed the rental agreement I read it top to bottom front and back there is nothing in it about firearms.

And yes I will NEVER live anywhere that putsrestrictions of any kind on me owning firearms.

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
J.Gleason wrote:

That is correct and your dump trucks and other such items can be stored in another place to maintain the appearance of the gated community. However none of those restrictions infringe on your rights. You v=can still own the truck just can't park it there and I am sure that is something that is written in the agreement.

If I were to go to some community such as this to lease a home or buy a home and there was a stipulation that I couldn't own or possess a firearm then i wouldn't sign. IMHO anyone who does is a sheep. If you allow your rights to be taken away then how can you complain?

TITLE 42 > CHAPTER 21 > SUBCHAPTER I > § 1983
§ 1983. Civil action for deprivation of rights
Every person who, under color of any statute, ordinance, regulation, custom, or usage, of any State or Territory or the District of Columbia, subjects, or causes to be subjected, any citizen of the United States or other person within the jurisdiction thereof to the deprivation of any rights, privileges, or immunities secured by the Constitution and laws, shall be liable to the party injured in an action at law, suit in equity, or other proper proceeding for redress, except that in any action brought against a judicial officer for an act or omission taken in such officer’s judicial capacity, injunctive relief shall not be granted unless a declaratory decree was violated or declaratory relief was unavailable. For the purposes of this section, any Act of Congress applicable exclusively to the District of Columbia shall be considered to be a statute of the District of Columbia.

Seems pretty clear to me

So, with your logic, I can put up a sign in my window with vulgarities because otherwise it would infringe on my 1st amendment rights. How about painting the apartment or mounting pictures on walls with screws/nails?

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
J.Gleason wrote:

TITLE 42 > CHAPTER 21 > SUBCHAPTER I > §1983
§1983. Civil action for deprivation of rights

Seems pretty clear to me

So, with your logic, I can put up a sign in my window with vulgarities because otherwise it would infringe on my 1st amendment rights. How about painting the apartment or mounting pictures on walls with screws/nails?
Gee I could have sworn we were talking about 2A and possessing a firearm.

How about if you have Bin Laden staying over for the weekend or maybe you could open your doors to Charlie Manson if he ever gets paroled.

One more time, the sign......1st Amendment, the apartment.....who cares (Do you always run and tell the landlord everything you do?) Paint and spackle are cheap.

Why does every conversation on here have to be some long drawn out "but what if" conversation? why can't the answer just be the answer?