• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Changing local ordinances....

Yooper

Bikenut wrote: I personally think if everyone would tackle their home town this would get done much quicker!

Let me check my town / township..... nope. Nothing restricting guns, woodpiles, color of houses, length of grass, # of cars on the property, amount of gravel in the driveway, bows and arrows, slingshots, knives, or bb guns that are stricter than state law.....

Guess I'll have to find a different townships to see what they got.....

Yooper

Hancock, MI
www.cityofhancock.com
(ordinance link) http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Michigan/hancock_mi/titleixgeneralregulations/chapter97parksandrecreation?f=templates$fn=document-frameset.htm$q=firearms%20$x=server$3.0#LPHit1

"UNLAWFUL USE OF CITY PARK AND RECREATION LANDS

§ 97.24 POSSESSING; SHOOTING FIREARMS.

It shall be unlawful to carry or have in possession a firearm unless unloaded in both barrel and magazine, shoot an air gun, gas gun, springloaded gun or slingshot, or shoot with a bow and arrow, except during established hunting seasons or lands open to hunting.

(Ord. 133, passed 7-11-79) Penalty, see § 97.99"

"§ 97.99 PENALTY.

Violation of any rule of this chapter or failure to perform any act set forth in the rules is punishable by a fine of not more than $100 and costs of prosecution, or by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than 90 days, or by both fine and imprisonment in the discretion of the court.

(Ord. 133, passed 7-11-79)"

Lake Linden, MI
www.lakelinden.net

http://www.lakelinden.net/pdffiles/Series3000Chap3001Parks.pdf

3001 - Park Regulations
I. Firearms.
1. No person shall at any time, bring into or upon the Village park, nor have in his or
her possession, nor discharge, or set off anywhere upon said properties, a revolver, pistol,
shotgun, rifle, air gun, water gun or any gun, rifle, firearm or bow or other weapon that
discharges projectiles either by air, explosive substance or any other force, provided
however, that this section shall not apply to any deputy sheriff, police officer, peace
officer or other duly appointed law enforcement officer while carrying out the duties and
responsibilities of his or her position.

I'll keep looking................

Last edited:

WilDChilD

I found a wrong ordinance in my town. Has to do with possession of a firearm in a park. What do I need to do to get it changed? Have never tried anything like this before so I am very wet behide the ears.

B

Bikenut

I found a wrong ordinance in my town. Has to do with possession of a firearm in a park. What do I need to do to get it changed? Have never tried anything like this before so I am very wet behide the ears.

My congratulations to you Sir! For being willing to step up and right a wrong!

Getting started is easy... searching a town's/township's/village's/county's website will give you an email address for the top official... or an address to send a snail mail letter to. Below is the letter that Yooperlady and I send out..............

Dear XXXXXXX

It has come to my attention that XXXXXXX has the following illegal ordinance on it's books.

xxxxxxxxxxx insert illegal ordinance here xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

and the portion:

xxxxxxxxxxx insert portion of ordinance that is illegal here xxxxxxxxxxxx

is in direct violation of the Michigan State law below.

FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION (EXCERPT)
Act 319 of 1990

123.1102 Regulation of pistols or other firearms.

Sec. 2.

A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

History: 1990, Act 319, Eff. Mar. 28, 1991

© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan

123.1102 available for viewing online at .... http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28qimhzm45vj5jxaudsue13lf3%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-123-1102

And there is the following case law that supports State Law.

In MCRGO v. Ferndale, the Michigan Court of Appeals held that local units of government
may not impose restrictions upon firearms possession.

THE MICHIGAN APPEALS COURT CONCLUDED: April 29, 2003 9:10 am. v No. 242237
In sum, we conclude that § 1102 is a statute that specifically imposes a prohibition on
local units of government from enacting and enforcing any ordinances or regulations
pertaining to the transportation and possession of firearms, and thus preempts any
ordinance or regulation of a local unit of government concerning these areas.

Further, we conclude that the specific language of the 2000 amendments to MCL 28.421 et
seq., particularly §§ 5c and 5o, which were adopted more than a decade after the
enactment of § 1102, do not repeal § 1102 or otherwise reopen this area to local
regulation of the carrying of firearms.17 Accordingly, we hold that the Ferndale
ordinance is preempted by state law and, consequently, we reverse.

MCRGO vs Ferndale is available for viewing online at .... http://coa.courts.mi.gov/documents/opinions/final/coa/20030429_c242237_47_85o.242237.opn.coa.pdf

Hence I respectfully request said ordinance be changed to bring it in line with Michigan State Law as quickly as possible.

I also request I be promptly notified of progress made, and final disposition, of this matter.

Respectfully,

XXXXXX

Now, if a couple of letters to different officials do not get the ball rolling then it may be necessary to show up at one of their council meetings bringing with you the same info contained in the letter. This can be intimidating... especially if open carry is legal where the meeting is being held and you decide to openly carry to that meeting. However... there are many folks in Michigan who are willing to support you and show up at that meeting with you... all you need do is ask.:)

If you do go to a meeting it is perfectly legal for you to record both video and audio of that meeting.

Carry on Sir!!!!:D

Last edited by a moderator:

WilDChilD

Thank you Bikenut for the advise and letter. I will copy and paste when I get home tonight, plus fill in all the info. I will keep everybody up to date with what happens. It is the city of Grand Ledge that has the illegal ordinance, I didnt mention that before.

P.S. cant find spell check in new forum anybody else see it?

kevron2020

I do know that at the start of spring Oshtemo had an illegal sign, at the disc golf course next to the Police/Firestation. I do not know if anyone else has noticed this, or done anything about it.