Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OCing Cocked?

Post imported post

Just curious how many of us travel fully-cocked during our every day activities.

I OC a HI-POINT C9 (I know, I know), and have been debating whether or not to keep my +1 all the time. I realize that, when SHTF, I may not have time to rack my slide, and that concerns me. It's a risk I'm not comfortable taking.

However, keeping one in the pipe concerns me as well. My HI-POINT has a thin piece of metal that slips in the way of the slide as a safety. It's functional, but I don't know that I would trust it indefinately against accidental discharge.

Anyone else faced with this dilemma? And how many of us OC cocked all the time?

Post imported post

Tribunal Power wrote:
    Just curious how many of us travel fully-cocked during our every day activities.

I OC a HI-POINT C9 (I know, I know), and have been debating whether or not to keep my +1 all the time. I realize that, when SHTF, I may not have time to rack my slide, and that concerns me. It's a risk I'm not comfortable taking.

However, keeping one in the pipe concerns me as well. My HI-POINT has a thin piece of metal that slips in the way of the slide as a safety. It's functional, but I don't know that I would trust it indefinately against accidental discharge.

I feel like I see another thread about this every week or so... *sigh*
    OH NO!!! I cant seem to think of anything "funny" and/or "wise" to put in my forum signature...NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! lol

Centurion

Post imported post

Personally,

As long as the LEO's are carrying +1, or cocked and locked....

THAT IS THE WAY I AM CARRYING!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Post imported post

I have a single action I carry 1 in the pipe hammer down.

Post imported post

ItTakesAWolf wrote:
    Tribunal Power wrote:

I feel like I see another thread about this every week or so... *sigh*
    Sorry, bud. I'm just another noob with a nother nooby question, here for the single and sole purpose of bothering you. I saw that no one had asked this question in a while and figured I should probably fill in the quota for the week. Also, I'm going to make seperate threads such as "wut gun do u liek" and "my walmart expeiriense".

~.~

Look, man. I'm new to the site. I looked around and didn't see any threads on this. I was curious. New people have questions, my friend. And no matter how much it might annoy you, there will always be new people, and they'll always have the samesilly questions. Sorry to bother.

Not trying to be an ass. I just don't like attitude, especially when applied in a comment that holds no otherwise productive words whatsoever.

Thank you to the others who actually made on-topic comments. I loaded the pipe today and OCed. I think I'm just paranoid about accidental discharge (and I thought that only happened to guys over 30! *snare drum*). I just wanted to weigh the pros and cons.

Post imported post

Guns vary...

I carry one in the chamber. I carry a Sig 229, DA/SA it is safe and preferred to carry in this manner.
    Live Free or Die!

Post imported post

I carried with an empty chamber before my permit which is a requirement, but as soon as i received my CWP I racked the slide and have never looked back. Thats valuable time you may need.

Post imported post

younggun20 wrote:
    I carried with an empty chamber before my permit which is a requirement, but as soon as i received my CWP I racked the slide and have never looked back. Thats valuable time you may need.
    My thoughts exactly. I OCed briefly in Utah a few months back and also had to follow the "two mechanical actions" rule.

Question: did you attend the OC Meeting at Red Robin in January? I see that you live in Ogden, and I was in Ogden at the time of that meeting, which I had the privelage of attending.

Post imported post

P14.45 1911 Cocked and locked with 1 in the pipe.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Post imported post

If your not carrying with one in the "pipe", you're carrying a hammer.

Post imported post

1. if you can't trust the weapon's safety, why carry it?
    2. I carry a 1911, its always locked and cocked

Post imported post

I carry a 1911.

Condition 1 all the way. the only way they were meant to be carried.
    Taurus PT1911 .45 ACP. Carried in condition 1, with a total of 25 rounds.

Vice President of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, ECU Chapter

Post imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
    1. if you can't trust the weapon's safety, why carry it?
    2. I carry a 1911, its always locked and cocked
    It's more that I'm a bit wary of the gun itself. So far I've had minimal issues with it, but I've heard a lot of HI-POINT horror stories that trouble me when I'm cocked and locked.

Banned

Post imported post

1911. One in the tube. Cocked and locked.

Post imported post

I've carried my 1911s in 'Condition 1' since the 70s.
    I've always considered that if I carried any gun, that it ought to be loaded and carried with safety engaged.

EXCEPTION: Several 'Single Action' Revolvers.
    To keep from carrying an old gun with one under the hammer;
    I carry all 'Single Action' Revolvers on an empty chamber.
    (Yeah, I've got some Glocks & Sigs that I carry loaded w/o a manual safety engaged.)

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

The guns in my carry stable are mostly DAO (Glocks and Kahrs) with one being a SAO (M&P40 Smith and Wesson). All are always carried in full battery.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
    Guns vary...

I carry one in the chamber. I carry a Sig 229, DA/SA it is safe and preferred to carry in this manner.
    ^This for me, too. And my BUG is a J-frame wheelgun, so five in the chamber(s) on that one.

Post imported post

I carry my 1911 cocked and locked with a round chambered.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead

Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

Post imported post

Tribunal Power wrote:
    younggun20 wrote:
    Question: did you attend the OC Meeting at Red Robin in January? I see that you live in Ogden, and I was in Ogden at the time of that meeting, which I had the privelage of attending.
    No, Ive only been to 1 meeting. I always seem to be busy the day of meets.

Post imported post

Ole Man Dan wrote:
    ...EXCEPTION: Several 'Single Action' Revolvers.
    To keep from carrying an old gun with one under the hammer;
    I carry all 'Single Action' Revolvers on an empty chamber.
    I carry an Uberti .38 SA Revolver (non black powder..) it's a 6 shooter.. I carry with all 6 chambers loaded and the hammer down on the dead space on the cylinder between 2 chambers. I'd rather have 6 over 5 shots and a damaged firing pin if I dropped the weapon than an accidental discharge..

-Adam

Post imported post

One in the chamber, magazine fully topped off, hammer down, safety off. This applies to my USP 40, and P2000 (except it has no manual safety.) With my XDm, same deal, except the firing pin is charged, and there is, again, no manual safety.

Regardless of the circumstance, I want my guns to be 100% ready to fire as soon as they are drawn.

Post imported post

I carry my full size Beretta chambered but not cocked so the first shot is double action (every shot after is single action).

Post imported post

I have carried my colt 1991 compact for about 20yrs and have always carried cocked & locked never have had a problem . just get a lot of omg you have your hammer back isn't that dangerous ??

Post imported post

why would you not unless it is illegal for you. If you ever have to draw you wont have a lot of time to rack your slide.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

Regular Member frommycolddeadhands's Avatar

Post imported post

When I OC I usually carry a double action smith and wessen .38 spl revolver, five rounds loaded with the hammer over the empty chamber. It's ready to go as soon as it clears leather. When I CCW I have a semi-auto .380. If I have it in a holster I have one in the pipe and safety on. If I'm putting it into a jacket pocket or someplace where the safety switch could possibly get flipped while I'm walking around I load the clip and leave the pipe empty.
    God is the one driving this stagecoach, I'm just riding shotgun.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast