• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing Cocked?

Tribunal Power

imported post

Just curious how many of us travel fully-cocked during our every day activities.

I OC a HI-POINT C9 (I know, I know), and have been debating whether or not to keep my +1 all the time. I realize that, when SHTF, I may not have time to rack my slide, and that concerns me. It's a risk I'm not comfortable taking.

However, keeping one in the pipe concerns me as well. My HI-POINT has a thin piece of metal that slips in the way of the slide as a safety. It's functional, but I don't know that I would trust it indefinately against accidental discharge.

Anyone else faced with this dilemma? And how many of us OC cocked all the time?

groovedrummer

imported post

Tribunal Power wrote:
Just curious how many of us travel fully-cocked during our every day activities.

I OC a HI-POINT C9 (I know, I know), and have been debating whether or not to keep my +1 all the time. I realize that, when SHTF, I may not have time to rack my slide, and that concerns me. It's a risk I'm not comfortable taking.

However, keeping one in the pipe concerns me as well. My HI-POINT has a thin piece of metal that slips in the way of the slide as a safety. It's functional, but I don't know that I would trust it indefinately against accidental discharge.

I feel like I see another thread about this every week or so... *sigh*

Tribunal Power

imported post

ItTakesAWolf wrote:
Tribunal Power wrote:

I feel like I see another thread about this every week or so... *sigh*

Sorry, bud. I'm just another noob with a nother nooby question, here for the single and sole purpose of bothering you. I saw that no one had asked this question in a while and figured I should probably fill in the quota for the week. Also, I'm going to make seperate threads such as "wut gun do u liek" and "my walmart expeiriense".

~.~

Look, man. I'm new to the site. I looked around and didn't see any threads on this. I was curious. New people have questions, my friend. And no matter how much it might annoy you, there will always be new people, and they'll always have the samesilly questions. Sorry to bother.

Not trying to be an ass. I just don't like attitude, especially when applied in a comment that holds no otherwise productive words whatsoever.

Thank you to the others who actually made on-topic comments. I loaded the pipe today and OCed. I think I'm just paranoid about accidental discharge (and I thought that only happened to guys over 30! *snare drum*). I just wanted to weigh the pros and cons.

younggun20

imported post

I carried with an empty chamber before my permit which is a requirement, but as soon as i received my CWP I racked the slide and have never looked back. Thats valuable time you may need.

Tribunal Power

imported post

younggun20 wrote:
I carried with an empty chamber before my permit which is a requirement, but as soon as i received my CWP I racked the slide and have never looked back. Thats valuable time you may need.

My thoughts exactly. I OCed briefly in Utah a few months back and also had to follow the "two mechanical actions" rule.

Question: did you attend the OC Meeting at Red Robin in January? I see that you live in Ogden, and I was in Ogden at the time of that meeting, which I had the privelage of attending.

Tribunal Power

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
1. if you can't trust the weapon's safety, why carry it?
2. I carry a 1911, its always locked and cocked
It's more that I'm a bit wary of the gun itself. So far I've had minimal issues with it, but I've heard a lot of HI-POINT horror stories that trouble me when I'm cocked and locked.

Ole Man Dan

imported post

I've carried my 1911s in 'Condition 1' since the 70s.
I've always considered that if I carried any gun, that it ought to be loaded and carried with safety engaged.

EXCEPTION: Several 'Single Action' Revolvers.
To keep from carrying an old gun with one under the hammer;
I carry all 'Single Action' Revolvers on an empty chamber.
(Yeah, I've got some Glocks & Sigs that I carry loaded w/o a manual safety engaged.)

younggun20

imported post

Tribunal Power wrote:
younggun20 wrote:

Question: did you attend the OC Meeting at Red Robin in January? I see that you live in Ogden, and I was in Ogden at the time of that meeting, which I had the privelage of attending.
No, Ive only been to 1 meeting. I always seem to be busy the day of meets.

Kriegsammler

imported post

Ole Man Dan wrote:
...EXCEPTION: Several 'Single Action' Revolvers.
To keep from carrying an old gun with one under the hammer;
I carry all 'Single Action' Revolvers on an empty chamber.

I carry an Uberti .38 SA Revolver (non black powder..) it's a 6 shooter.. I carry with all 6 chambers loaded and the hammer down on the dead space on the cylinder between 2 chambers. I'd rather have 6 over 5 shots and a damaged firing pin if I dropped the weapon than an accidental discharge..

-Adam