• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing Cocked?

Thoreau

imported post

One in the chamber, magazine fully topped off, hammer down, safety off. This applies to my USP 40, and P2000 (except it has no manual safety.) With my XDm, same deal, except the firing pin is charged, and there is, again, no manual safety.

Regardless of the circumstance, I want my guns to be 100% ready to fire as soon as they are drawn.

12ga.

imported post

I have carried my colt 1991 compact for about 20yrs and have always carried cocked & locked never have had a problem . just get a lot of omg you have your hammer back isn't that dangerous ??

zack991

imported post

why would you not unless it is illegal for you. If you ever have to draw you wont have a lot of time to rack your slide.

frommycolddeadhands

imported post

When I OC I usually carry a double action smith and wessen .38 spl revolver, five rounds loaded with the hammer over the empty chamber. It's ready to go as soon as it clears leather. When I CCW I have a semi-auto .380. If I have it in a holster I have one in the pipe and safety on. If I'm putting it into a jacket pocket or someplace where the safety switch could possibly get flipped while I'm walking around I load the clip and leave the pipe empty.

hp-hobo

imported post

Tribunal Power wrote:
Look, man. I'm new to the site. I looked around and didn't see any threads on this. I was curious. New people have questions, my friend. And no matter how much it might annoy you, there will always be new people, and they'll always have the samesilly questions. Sorry to bother.

Not trying to be an ass. I just don't like attitude, especially when applied in a comment that holds no otherwise productive words whatsoever.

Thank you to the others who actually made on-topic comments. I loaded the pipe today and OCed. I think I'm just paranoid about accidental discharge (and I thought that only happened to guys over 30! *snare drum*). I just wanted to weigh the pros and cons.
Actually, if you search Hi-Point and safety I'm pretty sure you'll see this has been covered several times. And as you may have noticed (and obviously expected) you won't get much help with your HP beyond being told you should carry a 1911. Such is life at OCDO. Surprise.

As a multiple Hi-Point owner, enthusiast and carrier, I have to recommend against carrying with one in the pipe for exactly the reason you mention... The safety. All your C9 has is a simple sear block and it would be entirely possible for the firing pin to ride over it if the gun took a good bump. I have never seen it happen, have not been able to make it happen in testing and don't know anyone who has had it happen. But I personally won't carry with one in condition one and most experienced HP owners seem to agree. So does Hi-Point if you read the instruction manual.

They're a great gun for the price, accurate and fun to shoot, but due to their bulk and safety mechanism, maybe not the best carry gun. Your results may vary.

Deanimator

imported post

frommycolddeadhands wrote:
When I OC I usually carry a double action smith and wessen .38 spl revolver, five rounds loaded with the hammer over the empty chamber. It's ready to go as soon as it clears leather. When I CCW I have a semi-auto .380. If I have it in a holster I have one in the pipe and safety on. If I'm putting it into a jacket pocket or someplace where the safety switch could possibly get flipped while I'm walking around I load the clip and leave the pipe empty.
There is NO good reason to carry a modern Smith & Wesson revolver with an empty chamber. That necessary only with firearms like Colt Single Action Armys and clones without rebounding hammers or transfer bars.

frommycolddeadhands

imported post

Deanimator wrote:
frommycolddeadhands wrote:
There is NO good reason to carry a modern Smith & Wesson revolver with an empty chamber. That necessary only with firearms like Colt Single Action Armys and clones without rebounding hammers or transfer bars.

I was always taught to leave the chamber under the hammer empty, just in case it gets dropped or hit or smacked, etc. I know a lot of people say this is no longer necessary, and maybe it's not, but I've never carried awheel gunwith a live round under the hammerand I don't reckon I ever will. Just how I carry.

mobeewan

imported post

Whether it's my custom Colt 5 inch Govt series 80 -1911 or my customcompact STI -2011 it is always cocked and locked.

cscitney87

imported post

I don't carry with a round in the chamber. It's the Best way to prevent an accidental discharge in my opinion. My Taurus PT745 is very safe to carry loaded; but is beside the point.

I truly believe that if I ever need my pistol- I will have time to rack the slide.

Ruby

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
I don't carry with a round in the chamber. It's the Best way to prevent an accidental discharge in my opinion. My Taurus PT745 is very safe to carry loaded; but is beside the point.

I truly believe that if I ever need my pistol- I will have time to rack the slide.
Good for you. I however, will not take that chance. Why you assume you will have time to draw AND rack the slide is beyond me. I had an experience, not with a gun, where a guy at my gym approached me (I wasn't paying attention; I was at the GYM for God's sake) from about 4 or 5 feet away, got beside me and put his arm across my shoulders. I didn't know him, didn't see it coming. Took all of 3 or 4 SECONDS! If this had been assault, I wouldn't have had a chance. It taught me a valuable lesson. I got to experience what an assault would be like without being harmed. I have taken it to heart. Situational awareness is paramount; had I seen him moving toward me, I could have avoided it. He was standing 4 or 5 feet to my left and slightly behind me. However, as other people have said, and I have experienced, things can happen VERY fast. Do you really want to gamble with your life that you will be fast enough to draw your gun, release the safety, rack the slide, and aim and fire before your attacker is on top of you?!? Good luck with that!! I carry a 1911 cocked and locked with a round chambered, all the time, CC or OC. So many things would have to go wrong for an AD that it is almost statistically impossible. Not to say it couldn't happen, but it is extremely unlikely.

novasig226r

imported post

Carrying Condition One would depend on whether the gun was designed to be carried safely in that fashion.

I would never dream of carrying my Sig 226 in Condition One. I carry it in Condition Two.

Once I get my Kimber (or Sig) 1911 pattern pistol, I'll carry Condition One.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've actually found my 1911's safety off once after putting it up for the night. I don't know how or when, but I frequently check the safety while carying to make sure it's still on.

Alexcabbie

imported post

All you 1911 Condition One guys, ever thought of getting a thumb-break where the strap comes between the hammer and the pin?

Call me a weenie, but that hammer is under spring tension, and if it falls, BLAMMO! goes the ammo. I wish someone would do a slight re-design of the 1911 that enabled the thumb safety to also put a block on the hammer so that if it fell it could only fall to half-cock. Yes, I know, "booger hook off the bang-switch", and Amen to that. But safeties are mechanical devices. They can and do fail.

cscitney87

imported post

Ruby wrote:
cscitney87 wrote:
Good for you. I however, will not take that chance. Why you assume you will have time to draw AND rack the slide is beyond me. I had an experience, not with a gun, where a guy at my gym approached me (I wasn't paying attention; I was at the GYM for God's sake) from about 4 or 5 feet away, got beside me and put his arm across my shoulders. I didn't know him, didn't see it coming.
And that's when I stopped reading your post.

Not relevant. Situational Awareness- at the Gym. IF you can't- don't.

Kirbinator

imported post

Tribunal Power wrote:
I OC a HI-POINT C9 (I know, I know), and have been debating whether or not to keep my +1 all the time. I realize that, when SHTF, I may not have time to rack my slide, and that concerns me. It's a risk I'm not comfortable taking.
OH HAI! ME2!

I rock a 10-shot mag, one in the chamber on safe in a Fobus holster. I haven't had any issues, but I have learned to take up a little more space when walking around objects so I don't clobber the holster, or my cellphone, or the pager when I'm carrying or my radio when I'm not OC.

I just get into the habit when I unload the gun to drop the mag, pull the slide, then when reloading to have the slide locked, load the mag, drop the slide, set the safety, drop the clip, and load one bullet into the mag. However, you don't want the bullet at the back of the magazine because of an interference issue with the back of the slide. It needs to be just forward of the rounded hip of the magazine. If you can fit a dime across the radius of the hip, it should be forward enough.

Just be safe. Once it's on your side, don't touch it. Don't put anything on that side that would or could move the safety. Maintain situational awareness and don't allow anyone to sneak up behind you and/or approach without your knowledge.

elixin77

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
All you 1911 Condition One guys, ever thought of getting a thumb-break where the strap comes between the hammer and the pin?

Call me a weenie, but that hammer is under spring tension, and if it falls, BLAMMO! goes the ammo. I wish someone would do a slight re-design of the 1911 that enabled the thumb safety to also put a block on the hammer so that if it fell it could only fall to half-cock. Yes, I know, "booger hook off the bang-switch", and Amen to that. But safeties are mechanical devices. They can and do fail.
The best I can do in this situation is to make sure my firearm is properly maintained, and take it to a gunsmith if I notice something is wrong. I understand that anything made by man is bound to fail at some time or another. However, I also feel that as a responsible gun owner, it is my responsibility to make sure my firearm is operational and properly maintained.

I have taken steps to reduce the likelihood of a ND by removing the ambi-safety on my Taurus PT1911, as other members were reporting that something can snag the safety and turn it to 'Off.' I also perform a 'walk around' on the gun before I take it anywhere, as again, it is my responsibility to make sure my gun works 250% of the time that I use it.

I know I am only human, and that my gun was (albeit indirectly) made by humans as well, and that anything can happen. However, should that hamper my choice of carry, because something may happen? I may get run over by a car when I leave to go to class, should that keep me from going to class?

erichonda30

Banned
imported post

elixin77 wrote:
Alexcabbie wrote:

The best I can do in this situation is to make sure my firearm is properly maintained, and take it to a gunsmith if I notice something is wrong. I understand that anything made by man is bound to fail at some time or another. However, I also feel that as a responsible gun owner, it is my responsibility to make sure my firearm is operational and properly maintained.

I have taken steps to reduce the likelihood of a ND by removing the ambi-safety on my Taurus PT1911, as other members were reporting that something can snag the safety and turn it to 'Off.' I also perform a 'walk around' on the gun before I take it anywhere, as again, it is my responsibility to make sure my gun works 250% of the time that I use it.

I know I am only human, and that my gun was (albeit indirectly) made by humans as well, and that anything can happen. However, should that hamper my choice of carry, because something may happen? I may get run over by a car when I leave to go to class, should that keep me from going to class?
i found this and according to the picture the safety make it almost imposibel for the hammer to fall

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/tech/cockedandlocked.htm