• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Possible illegal sign posted by Lansing?

lil_freak_66

imported post

I fully understand the city hall part,as there is court stuff handled there.

what i am unsure of is the police buildings,and where it sounds like there is a local ordinance.

49bcd33a.jpg

this sign is directly in front of city hall in lansing,which is in front of the state capitol.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

i see no mention of the courts on the sign, so yes, that sign is illegal. only courts, who can apparently legislate from the bench are allowed to override preemption.

cabman1

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
I fully understand the city hall part,as there is court stuff handled there.
Just realized it says local ordinances!!
We all know what that means!!

Is there An actual court room in city hall?
If not it doesn't matter how much court stuff is handled in the building.

eastmeyers

imported post

Besides, I OC and CC in my city hall and police station all the time, and they ARE in the same building as the court. They have a medal detector at the bottom of the stairs that leads to the court room, not at the entrance of the building. I'm glad my city doesn't take away my basic human rights to self defence.

God Bless

DanM

imported post

smellslikemichigan wrote:
i see no mention of the courts on the sign, so yes, that sign is illegal. only courts, who can apparently legislate from the bench are allowed to override preemption.

The ban on weapons in courts isn't legislation from the bench, it is an administrative order from the bench. Violation of it may result in a contempt of court charge, but that's it. Depending on how egregious the violation is, it may be civil or criminal CoC; however, courts must exercise great restraint with CoC, therefore it would likely be civil CoC.

DanM

imported post

smellslikemichigan wrote:
there should have been quotes around "legislation from the bench" as it was not meant literally.

Oh, ok. Sometimes folksthink it's some crazyinterpretation or perverse application of an existing law by the court, thus "legislating" from the bench. I didn't know if you were one of those folks. :)

Due to separation of powers, probably the only wayto removesuch an administrative order is to electjustices that will remove it.

cabman1

imported post

Call

Virg Bernero,
Mayor,
City Of Lansing,Michigan

ph.517-483-4141
http://www.lansingmi.gov/mayor/

Ask him why this sign is up illegally??
Tell him you are deeply concerned!!

FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION (EXCERPT)
Act 319 of 1990

123.1102 Regulation of pistols or other firearms.
Sec. 2.

A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

cabman1 wrote:
Call

Virg Bernero,
Mayor,
City Of Lansing,Michigan

ph.517-483-4141
http://www.lansingmi.gov/mayor/

Ask him why this sign is up illegally??
Tell him you are deeply concerned!!

FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION (EXCERPT)
Act 319 of 1990

123.1102 Regulation of pistols or other firearms.
Sec. 2.

A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

This has been discussed for years and the answer is always the presiding JUDGE has ruled the entire building a court or has court access/business and therefore they are using the administrative rule as an excuse to ban firearms from the entire complex.

No one that I know has actively challenged this rule. I have always felt they were overstepping their bounds. Until they get sued I doubt they will rescind the band soon.

BTW I was at the court a couple of weeks ago and the sign outside city hall does mention courts and they have a guard and metal detector at the main entrance.

Venator

imported post

cabman1 wrote:
but the police station should not be included then I sent an email to the mayor
Well, it is attached and you can access the other building from the police station. Does the PD engage in court business? You have to look at the Supreme Courts administrative ruling and review the wording.

Venator

imported post

cabman1 wrote:
isnt there more the one pd in lansing?

One Lansing PD but other precincts. I don't know what the policy is in other precincts, but the main PD HQs is attached to the city hall and the court.

If you are asking if there are other Policeagencies operatingin Lansing, then yes the MSP, along with a few federal LE agencies.