• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ATF and Airsoft

Majorpain

imported post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8LakMJ2Ok4

Ok so whats next? Anyone with basic knowledge of firearms knows that's Bull. My neighbors kid has the same exact model the ATF is seizing, the lower doesn't even come close to fitting nothing really matches up either. The mechanics are completely opposite.

So I don't see how to easily convert it, ATF wont release that documentation unless a Freedom of information act request forum is filled out. It takes a lawer to figure one of those out, and certain information can be withheld by discretion of the homeland security act. We probably wont ever see proof on this.

We-the-People

imported post

Absolutely NUTS.

This from the same agency that's brought us Ruby Ridge, WACO, classified a shoestring as a machine gun, and harassed god knows how many other Americans.

Dreamer

imported post

I think the BATFE agents who seized these airsoft rifles should have to PROVE they can fire real rounds. They should "convert" them to chamber real rounds, and then have to stand on a range, with gun in hand, and fire them full auto on live TV...

I imagine that would be a video worthy of the "Goofs With Guns" thread, but YouTube probably wouldn't post it because the resulting explosions of the receivers, barrels, and action would most likely result in a hideously gory injury.

If they aren't willing to do that, they should return this store owner's property, which they have stolen...

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
I think the BATFE agents who seized these airsoft rifles should have to PROVE they can fire real rounds. They should "convert" them to chamber real rounds, and then have to stand on a range, with gun in hand, and fire them full auto on live TV...

I imagine that would be a video worthy of the "Goofs With Guns" thread, but YouTube probably wouldn't post it because the resulting explosions of the receivers, barrels, and action would most likely result in a hideously gory injury.

If they aren't willing to do that, they should return this store owner's property, which they have stolen...
And what pray tell gives you the insight that they won't do it?
Ear-plug-fail
Sadly they will use the excuse of how dangerous they are, see his head is missing.

http://redux.com/stream/item/1353550/Ear-plug-fail?fid=6730

Thoreau

imported post

I honestly thought 'what the F are they smoking' when I heard about this stuff a while back, but another article kinda made it clear just how it's possible.

First, Let's consider that the only part of an ar15 that is legally a gun, is the stripped lower receiver. Next, let's consider that Bushmaster has been making some of those out of carbon fiber for a while.

Now, you pick up a full upper, a lower parts kit to make it do it's thing on the lower receiver, and now you have a fully functional (piece of crap) that I'd bet would be capable of firing. All the lower has to do is withstand the recoil which, let's face it, really doesn't exist in standard 223/556. All of the explosive force is contained in the upper. Basically, an ar15 without having to go through a background check process or any type.

I don't think the lower would LASt very long at all, but for a psycho, it only takes one.

Admittedly, it would be a HELL of a lot easier, faster, and cheaper to just buy an illegal gun on the black market.

Found an interesting link:

http://www.laroysairsoft.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=JGM4FLR

I'd imagine more than a few other 'airsoft' lowers that might be out there as well. Even the one in that photo looks to be pretty close to spec, which probably makes it easy enough to modify.

zack991

imported post

I posted one of the original threads about this the first time they did this. Needless to say the brain matter we had to pick up because of the members heads exploding due to the stupidity of the ATF still makes my head hurt.

Dreamer

imported post

Thoreau wrote:
Now, you pick up a full upper, a lower parts kit to make it do it's thing on the lower receiver, and now you have a fully functional (piece of crap) that I'd bet would be capable of firing. All the lower has to do is withstand the recoil which, let's face it, really doesn't exist in standard 223/556. All of the explosive force is contained in the upper. Basically, an ar15 without having to go through a background check process or any type.

So let me get this right...

Th eATF thinks that someone who is hell-bent on mahem and destruction is going to buy a $1000 airsoft rifle, then buy a real complete upper (another $400-600) and a lower parts kit (another $150-300), a few real mags (another $50-100) and spend TWICE the cost of a legitimate functional real (but admittedly budget) AR to build a "firearm" that is going to blow itself apart after the second mag or so, rather than just buy a hot one on the street for $500?

Uh, don't they have accountants and lawyers over there at ATF? You'd think a LEA would actually understand how psychopathic criminals really work, instead of just making up these ridiculous clownish scenarios that make NO sense whatsoever so that they can harass honest businesses...

I think some of the folks at ATF are dipping into the "A" part a little too often...

We-the-People

imported post

Thoreau wrote:
I'd imagine more than a few other 'airsoft' lowers that might be out there as well. Even the one in that photo looks to be pretty close to spec, which probably makes it easy enough to modify.

Ya know, with a little work I could "modify" a 3x6x10 piece of aluminum into an AR lower. Just a "little" filing here and machining there.

Of course with a trip to the hardware store I could find everything I needed to put together a firearm (without any machining).

IT IS A REDICULOUS ASSERTION BY THE ATF

frommycolddeadhands

imported post

Uh-huh, and with a little ingenuity I'm pretty sure a psycho could rig an inconspicuous ball point pen into a single shot zip gun

Maybe they should start intercepting Bic shipments too....:banghead:

Dreamer

imported post

I visited the JFK Special Operations Museum on Ft. Bragg in Fayetteville a few years ago, and they had a pack of Camels that would shoot a .22 LR.

I don't know if it was a "spy device" or a VERY radical bit of smoking cessation gear... :shock:

But it was interesting, and supposedly it was actually used "int he field".

I've also seen at the International Spy Museum in DC, fountain pen guns, pocket cameras that fired a single round, umbrella guns, and a briefcase with an MP-5 built into it that could be fired with the briefcase completely closed, with a trigger in the handle of the case. (just hope you don't have a FTF with that one...)

Gumsmiths through the ages have made some spectacularly wacky firearms. I've seen shoe guns, hat guns, briefcase guns, guns built into the hilts of swords and heads of battle axes, and even shield guns from the 1600's. I've seen guns built into Rolliflex cameras, cigarette packs, books, even a gun that was built into a paper-mache mock up of a folded newspaper. If you check through the US Patent Office archives, you can find some ASTOUNDINGLY weird and wacky gun designs. And the "intelligence communities" on BOTH sides came up with some truly BIZARRE designs during the Cold War.

A crafty gunsmith can make ANYTHING fire a round once. Heck, if you wanted to, you could build a "zip gun" that could be fitted into a hotdog or a ham sandwich and was activated by biting. :what:

Personally, I'll stick with the "purpose-built" versions we all normally carry...

But apparently, the ATF must believe they have the power to regulate and seize things like hotdogs, shoes, umbrellas, and fountain pens too.

Pretty soon, BigLots will have to have an Class-1 FFL just to sell umbrellas...:banghead: