• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Funny OC experience

*1911_man*

imported post

So today, i was at the burger king on E. Mcdowel road.
I had ordered my food and i was on the search for somewhere to sit.
I walked past a few of the bench seats when i noticed a guy sitting there with, who i am guessing, was either his wife or girlfriend, when i noticed he had a holster on his side. I when i got a little closer i noticed that the strap from his holster was undone, and his revolver was almost half way out, and kinda perched on his bench seat. I said to him "hey, i think something came loose", and pointed to his gun. He said "oh Sh*t, not again". I kinda chuckled a little, just how he said it was funny to me. He then asked "can you stand right there please". so i said sure. I knew what he was doing, he was using me as a shield from the other customers so they wouldnt see him messing with his gun. So after he secured his weapon, he asked me if i was alone, so i said yes, and he asked if i wanted to sit with them. At first i was kinda like uhh... But once i sat down, we started talking about guns and what not. and he told me that the same thing has happened to him before, except last time the gun fell all the way out because the velcro on his holster was getting worn out badly. So we sat for about an hour, he told me about his gun, it was a taurus .38 special ultra light. We talked about calibers, guns, everything in between. His girlfriend or wife was also packing, she was carrying a smith and wesson 642 in a belt holster.
So once we gone done eating and whatnot, we both needed to be somewhere else, so we left. I recommended him get a new holster, he said he was going to later tonight, hopefully he does.

all in all a great experience, got to meet some cool people, got to help out a fellow oc'er.

GF

imported post

>meso.40< wrote:
we started talking about guns and what not. and he told me that the same thing has happened to him before, except last time the gun fell all the way out because the velcro on his holster was getting worn out badly.
Yeah, I really hope hedoes get a new one 'cause that is pretty bad..:lol:

AZkopper

imported post

OK, I have to admit, back in the early-mid 90's, when I was a new cop, and fanny packs were the "standard issue" for CCing (is it really CC if everyone knows a fanny pack is a holster?), something similar happened to me.

I was in Vegas with my 1st wife. I had to run out from the hotel and fill a presscription for her in the middle of the night. I ended up driving to a pretty shabby area, so I had my pack unzipped, for quick access. When I got back to the hotel, I valet'd and was walking back through the main 'red carpet' entrance, when my fanny pack fully unzipped, and my 92F went bouncing down the aisle....

Luckily, it was real late, and not crowded. Funny thing was, nobody seemed to even notice....

moral of the story: it can happen to anyone.

matt35

imported post

I also hope he gets a new holster, I use the serpa holsters for both my pistols, Glock 27 .40and XD 9mm, and haven't had any problems with them falling out.I am also glad he asked and you abliged to block him while adjusted his sidearm, it would have helpedif someonewho objects to OC saw himmessing with it.

Carry on all

ccwinstructor

Centurion
imported post

Nice of you to help out. When things like this happen, it is time to pay attention. For every accident they are usually a number of close calls. If you have a "close call" it should be a wakeup to reevaluate and make a serious change. I have heard that the "close call" to accident ratio is something like 20 or 30 to one.

doninvegas

imported post

I had a close call a while back....While in Vegas i decided to ride my new Harley down the strip and check it out, I had just bought a new Sig 232 and carried it in a brand new shoulder holster under my bulky shirt. after riding around for an hour or so i decided to get something to eat...i pulled into a fast food place and as i got off my bike....wow, my brand new sig droped out of my shirt onto the concrete....
The snap came undone...I decided to not carry it in a shoulder holster any longer...If i were on the road and it decided to drop out it would have been ruined as it bounced down the road....:what:
I do learn from my mistakes...

*1911_man*

imported post

WOW. that would have sucked!
I would have cried if that happened to me :(

A good holster is very important when carrying

doninvegas

imported post

I agree with the good holster thought....I tried a couple holsters with a detaining button on them and dident like them at all...if i were ever under great stress and needed to get my gun out in a hurry, i think i would failed the test.
so i have decided on a good Gelco holster without retention, so i CC most of the time.