• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What Next ??

Carnivore

imported post

Anyone know how many handguns/ Firearms one is allowed to buy in Missouri before being shutdown by the feds,?

I've always been delayed anywhere from a few hours, to a couple of days . There's nothingderrogatory or questionable in my history/background , but I finally may have reached a limit that raises eyebrows. Does Missouri have a law or the feds have a law that governs the number of purchases in a state in agiven time frame?

Does this mean I finally have a legitimate reason to convince my wife that I need an F.F.L.

cshoff

imported post

No sir, there is no federal limit or state limit in MO. It's likely you are being delayed for a different reason, such as someone with a name very similar to yours has a questionable background, or perhaps of some security clearance you've had in the past.

Superlite27

imported post

I don't think there is a limit anywhere in the country. I keep hearing these news stories about folks with an "arsenal of guns". So? Do folks who collect other things have an "arsenal of Precious Moment's figurines", or an "arsenal of Griswold skillets"?

I've heard delays have been happening quite frequently lately. My guess is that it is the frequency of buyers or "system overload". There's always the option of getting the NICS personal identification number. I've heard this makes NICS checks a snap.

On a strange side note: I've always been delayed on almost 100% of the firearms I've ever bought. There must be someone out there with a similar name as mine. My last purchase a few months ago, I was giving the counter guy the usual "I've been delayed on every purchase, I'll come back Monday to pick it.......

"Nope. You're good", he said as he hung up the phone.

Huh? What is this? Purchasing and taking possession of a firearm on the same visit? (I have been delayed before and went home only to receive a call to come pick it up, so it doesn't count as a same visit purchase.)

That was nice. Something tells me I should still apply for the PIN like I was considering.

perhaps of some security clearance you've had in the past.

This will cause a delay? It sure explainsalot since I've never been in trouble other than an atrocious driving record and don't really have a common name.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I was huge angry when I got delayed the first time. I had smiled and jumped through all the hoops and had even made sure the Sheriff said I was a good boy and obtained my PTA after paying the fee's and such. Through my anger it was clear as day, the only impact gun laws have upon life is the harassment of the law abiding. Only two days prior I had the opportunity presented to me to take my choice of 2 Glock's from the trunk of a car, no PTA, no 4473, not a thing and I would have carried it home with me that very day.

I made the choice to do the bureaucratic dance for the elitist because I never wanted to give them the chance to exercise control over me despite the very fact that dancing was exactly that.

I researched "delays" and found only one truth, there is no reason beyond that they can. No matter how hard you search, there is never a plausible explanation, they do not even try to present one.

You were simply delayed because they could, they knew it served no purpose, you are simply involved in the machine invented to discourage lawful ownership of firearms, nothing more and nothing less.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Superlite27 wrote:

This will cause a delay? It sure explainsalot since I've never been in trouble other than an atrocious driving record and don't really have a common name.
Perhaps that is a reason, I am not sure they would tell us that even if it was accurate.

I have and do have a clearance level though I am civilian. Stems from work I have done in the past and training I do for the military now. None of it ever exciting or anything of the sort, but since it involved entering buildings where such things go on, I had to have it to enter the front door. I take that back, I did get to do one cool thing, I got to touch the wing of a stealth fighter as it was close enough to the yellow zone and the guard said it was ok. Some get 15 minutes of fame, I got 1.5 seconds of "way cool" running through my mind lol.

I know everyone I knew was delayed the week the NRA show was in town which lends itself to one idea, they might be real busy for the region.

Carnivore

imported post

Security classification is non exhistant , that was 20 yrs. agoand only secret.

Thanks cshoff and the rest of y'all, for the feed back. cshoffI was gonna check in with you on the other site, but was already on here when it came to mind to ask, I do have a rural(non city limits) address at my disposal, I just may have to work in the direction of acquiring an F.F.L. But I do have a cousin about 3 times removed that has the same first and last name as mine who lives about 30 miles from me, But I've never met him cshoff are there any benefits to getting the pin # ?

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

The PIN is supposed to eliminate the delay possibilities, sort of an "ok, we already checked him out, look for anything recent, ok all good" to the process.

Broondog

imported post

i've never been delayed, pre or post FFL (03 C&R). they call, a few ok's are heard and on my way i go. and i've got more guns than can shake a stick at.

the only thing i know of that will get the Feds to raise an eyebrow is if you purchase three or more handguns at one time. i assume this is because of the possibility of one or more of them being "straw" but that is just my opinion. i once purchased three identical handguns under my collectors license but nothing ever came of it and i have yet to have the dreaded ATF audit even after two FFL cycles.

LMTD might be on to something. they might delay you just because they can.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

From the 4473 form itself:

The ATF describes it on a version of the 4473.

For purchasers approved to have information maintained about them in the FBI NCIS Voluntary Appeal File, NICS will provide them with a Unique Personal Identification Number which the buyer should place in block 9.

This is from a 2008 version of the 4473 you can find here:
http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473.pdf

A more detailed explanation of the UPIN is availible on page 9 of this document:

http://www.atf.gov/publications/newsletters/ffl/ffl-newsletter-2006-03.pdf

cshoff

imported post

LMTD wrote:
Superlite27 wrote:

Perhaps that is a reason, I am not sure they would tell us that even if it was accurate.

I have and do have a clearance level though I am civilian. Stems from work I have done in the past and training I do for the military now. None of it ever exciting or anything of the sort, but since it involved entering buildings where such things go on, I had to have it to enter the front door. I take that back, I did get to do one cool thing, I got to touch the wing of a stealth fighter as it was close enough to the yellow zone and the guard said it was ok. Some get 15 minutes of fame, I got 1.5 seconds of "way cool" running through my mind lol.

I know everyone I knew was delayed the week the NRA show was in town which lends itself to one idea, they might be real busy for the region.
I'm not really sure of the technical reasons behind a delay that stems from "clearance" issues, but I do know several people that have had to obtain certain levels of clearance due to their jobs, and to the man, they are always delayed when they make a FFL purchase. They usually have to "come back the next day" to complete their transaction. Whether these delays are legitimate (as in legal) or not is beyond me.

Carnivore

imported post

Well this wasn't a denial, just Delay.

And although I've always been delayed, I've never had to wait the whole 3 days. I've made a lot of purchases over the last three months, and even in the distant past when i would have made no more than a purchase every few years the delay was always there. Anyway today is day 3 and somebody has to do something to deny my purchase, or the little .32 becomes property! These last few purchases are inexpensive guns, Saturday Night Specials so to speak, but they make excellent glove box/tackle box/boot guns, and I don't have to worry about destroying an expensive pistol from being stored in less than desirablelocationscaused by dust or moisture . of course the firing and maintenance regimen will still be critical. But the several i'm sure of these purchases that don't make the cut in function and formwill eventually end up at the local pawn shop as down money on a higher end carry gun.

P.S. I'm kinda waiting for a knock on the door for someone to do a gun count and inventory which of these recorded purchases are still in my posession. :D

Carnivore

imported post

I took delivery of this pistol today shortly after my previous post. I don't know if the wait ran it's course in time, or the dealer got a call, he just said you can come and pick up your pistol.

I'll run several magazines through it in a few days and see if it's worthy of a breakin and stash gun.

nrepuyan

imported post

had a buddy today that got delayed for further review as well today...who knows how long that will take...

...anyone know if a restraining order would flag this? he had a restraining order against him years ago during a baaaaaad divorce...partly cause well she was psycho and a :cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:....wasn't sure if that'd be something that would set it off...

opinions?

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

nrepuyan wrote:
opinions?
That is an it depends answer.

In MO, the person whom got the restraining order can "renew" it each year as long as they renew it, if it lapses they would have to file again etc. I do not know the full process for them to do it, I just know they can.

I think the delay is a max as stated in this thread of 3 days.

The reason no one can answer if this IS the reason for the delay, the FBI gives no reason what so ever for the delay, no list of reasons that you can see anywhere, you simply have no idea at all. Perhaps 19,000 guns were sold today and they could not get them all processed, perhaps some bureaucrat just decided to be a moron and push the delay button, who knows!

What it really boils down to is it will likely be released within the three day limit, if not a reason for denial or his new toy will be delivered.

I have heard of 3 days as outlined above and I have heard of delays that lasted less than an hour.

It is not too likely the old order will hurt him if it did not take his guns at the time. If this is the first time he ever bought a firearm then the delay might be to check its status, who knows, they won't tell ya!

Marc

imported post

I bought my first gun several months ago and it took 5 minutes for them to approve me, i gave him my paperwork he went and processed it i was in out within 15 minutes.

peterarthur

imported post

This is why I purchase from other people in the Walmart parking lot :) I have no NEED to do so, but I like having fewer reportable guns... I DID buy my AR in the store as all the private sellers changed their minds when it became evident that Obama would win. I still have not got my nerve up to OC the AR yet :)

peterarthur

imported post

It would be silly to take it into Walmart but there are places and times when it would be appropriate. I will wait for those moments. I understand that this is a PR game to some extent. But remember it is more than that. We can never defend the Republic with pistols...