• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Genius drill at hospital

greengum

imported post

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/may/29/hospital-uses-armed-man-unannounced-drill/

All I know is if I was there and armed there would have been shots fired. Some maniac comes in with a gun pointed at screaming nurses and family members and starts to herd them down a corridor is a threat in my book. Turns out is was an a drill that nobody there knew about? :banghead::banghead::banghead: <-- triple head into wall. What would you guys do if you were armed? Did the off duty cop feel safe in a terrorizing the general public because there are signs saying "no firearms allowed"?

But in Monday’s incident, which occurred in a unit that houses the hospital’s sickest patients, nurses, patients and their families did not know it was a drill, said Renee Ruiz, organizer of the California Nurses Association, which represents staff at the hospital.
“There are significant safety issues here,” Ruiz said. “We would never condone a drill like this. We put the safety of the patients and nurses and hospital staff first and foremost.”

Clearly the safety of family members visiting their dying loved ones was first and foremost!!

We-the-People

imported post

Dayum!!!!!! There'd have been a dead off duty cop had I or my wife been there.

And I think it would have proven the point that citizens with weapons can make a difference. Unfortunately at the expense of a not too bright cop who bought into this sharade of a "drill".

The administrator who came up with this hair brained idea and and supervisors who approved it need to be terminated post haste!!!!

varminter22

imported post

Good grief!

One can only be thankful a CCW holder or other off-duty cop didn't shoot the actor.

Have they never heard of inert blue plastic training arms?

Have they never heard of the phrase, "This is a drill, this is a drill ..."?

I note the article's date is May 29, 2010. Have there been any updates on the story? Have the organizers of this insane drill been dealt with??

28kfps

imported post

Like any Nevada CCW permitted and many firearm owners, I also received the when to and not to use lethal force training I should add several different variations and examples.

I have been ina hospital a few times this year. Once last year when my wife totaled her car.( Bad bumps are burses however walked out of the hospital hours later), always carrying a firearm. Based on my training, the instinct, and right to protect family and myself the drill set up would been a fist class example of time to use lethal force. I would have been on a mission to arrange for the guy to see the chrisom trace laser about the same time he would have felt the first round. As Gordie said, the drill is “possibly the dumbest thing I’ve ever hear of”.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Fallschirmjäger wrote:
Citizen wrote:
So, where are the charges for assault andterrorizing?
I'm sorry, Sir, those charges don't apply to one who is a profeshinul. :what:
I understand.

A while back I viewed a video on YouTube where some cops demonstrated how easy it is to make crystal meth for a news reporter or documentary--by actually manufacturing crystal meth. No word on the indictment of the cops.

The cops deliberately left outpart of the manufacturing process so as to not provide a graphic training manual for any would-be drug makers who got hold of the video.

But, wait a minute. Why did the cops make the drug at all? It absolutely was not necessary. A simulation could have been done--but, no, we have the cop's confession on tape that he has actually made the drug. Also, it couldn't have been that important to actually make the drug for the news segment if they left part of the process out of the video.

And, if it was so important not to give a recipe to would-be drug makers, why not just do a segment about ease of manufacture verbally without going into the recipe and process at all?

Basically, the cops committed this offense to provide material for the business operations of the news or documentary program producers. And, in that it could have been accomplished verbally, or simulated if they really needed the footage as filler, the offense was really nothing more than for theatrical effect. I wonder how many other professions the cops will commit crimes for in order to provide business support.

I wonder if the news or documentary reimbursed the taxpayers for the cops' time in return for the business product (actor services).

We-the-People

imported post

I saw that video myself, or one just like it. What I also found amazing was that they're always talking about how dangerous and toxic the chemicals and processes are and yet they went and made a batch of the stuff. WTF!!!!!!!

And what do you think would have been the outcome had a private production crew been doing the exact same "documentary" footage with the exact same procedures and materials when the cops walked up? Yup....cuffed and sent to the hooscow.

Seems a bit like "two classes of citizens" to me, what about you?

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
imported post

ericfrompahrump wrote:
any know ofundercover cop shooting another undercover cop situations?

or cops shooting someone from fbi dea or somthing like that?
Yep.

It's especially a problem when working with other agencies, or people from different stations or offices.

Cops have code words to shout, but they don't always work. LIkewise, some agencies have a color of the day to be worn by plainclothes, but again, this doesn't always work. Even a visible badge or shield doesn't give immunity from your allergy to lead, if a charged-up cop comes around a corner in front of you while you are drawn.

One guy I know has trained himself to shout "Deputy Marshall!" in that situation -- he figures that if the question ever comes up, he will say that he wasn't identifying himself, he was calling for help -- but the phrase is one which will hopefully keep a cop from firing.

You would NOT want to shout "Police!" This word might be used by a criminal to warn his cohorts.

CowboyKen

imported post

Has there been any follow-up on this story? Any news of an investigation or of disciplinary action?

Ken

Anvil

imported post

Could it be possible that it was not a drill at all? Perhaps a cover-up for a local LEO?
Just a thought. I read the story, maybe no one knew because it wasn't supposed to happen.
Like stated elsewhere, why not a training "Blue" gun.Why wold you point a real pistol at a nurse? Even an unloaded firearm is not the right thing to do, never ever point your pistol at anyone.....