• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry Hillsdale county

rallyonthesteps

imported post

I am new to open carry and was wondering if there are members in Hillsdale county and people who open carry here. Also, what is the reaction from local law enforcement here? Thanks

craigm

imported post

I don't OC much in Hillsdale County but have went for a few bike rides out in the sticks while OC'ing and no problems. The full-size XDM is more than obvious, too.

I often semi-CC, though. Usually only when my shirt's tucked in and I throw my gun on after the fact or in the winter when my jacket didn't cover the whole thing. I've never had problems doing that, either, but I'm not even sure anyone noticed.

Not much help, I know, but I don't care for my name to be on the friendly WCSR...

rallyonthesteps

imported post

Bear with me craigm as I am new to the oc issue. I see you mentioned you didnt want to be on wcsr. Will the local leo in this area give a person a hard time for open carry?

B

Bikenut

imported post

Howdy Rallyonthesteps....

Please take plenty of time to wade through everything that is posted on this forum... yeah, it'll take a bit of time but it is well worth it... and you will discover a wealth of information to arm yourself with while you are out and about openly armed.:)

Please take the time to follow links provided too...

And never be afraid to ask questions no matter how dumb they may seem... because... everyone of us started out dumber than dog droppings about OC and we learned as we went...:D

gasgasmi

imported post

I am in Hillsdale Co. and CC once in a while here not so much OC. Most of my OC has been in Battle Creek and some in Coldwater when going to/returning from the shooting range at Southside. I don't carry a lot and it never seems handy when I'm just running to the store near home. I have some reservations about OC anyway but when I have OCd in BC no one has run away screaming or placed the dreaded MWAG call. My OC holster (Galco Paddle Lite) for my PM9 has an issue with the mag release so untill I fix it the only OC I will be able to do is with my Glock 26 or my 19. There was a thread about an OC event in Hillsdale at one time but I don't know what happened to it.

rallyonthesteps

imported post

gasgasmi wrote:
I am in Hillsdale Co. and CC once in a while here not so much OC. Most of my OC has been in Battle Creek and some in Coldwater when going to/returning from the shooting range at Southside. I don't carry a lot and it never seems handy when I'm just running to the store near home. I have some reservations about OC anyway but when I have OCd in BC no one has run away screaming or placed the dreaded MWAG call. My OC holster (Galco Paddle Lite) for my PM9 has an issue with the mag release so untill I fix it the only OC I will be able to do is with my Glock 26 or my 19. There was a thread about an OC event in Hillsdale at one time but I don't know what happened to it.
That would be nice if they would hold something in Hillsdale county. Still not quite ready to open carry just yet but I am very interested in it. I think its great we have people out there doing it. Thanks for all the help from everyone who posted so far. I need all the info on this I can get..

gasgasmi

imported post

I did OC to get gas today. I was trying out a new holster with my Glock 19 and had to run to the station so it was no biggy. The station is across from the State Police post so I have an idea they are used to seeing guns there but no one seemed to care or notice. This has been what I've found with all of my OC so far. If you go looking for problems you'll find em and there is always a chance someone will have a problem with the sight of a firearm but so far I haven't had the first issue. Baby steps for me, give it a try, just be sure you know the rules. I screwed up in Ohio recently and went into a tent at the walleye fest in Port Clinton, never thought about the beer they were serving I was just there to eat. In Ohio that's a no no at this time best I know. Food for thought.

cabman1

imported post

If you guys would like to set up a picnic for everyone in the Hillsdale area we could set it up with flyers and see how many people are around the area that oc or support ocing

craigm

imported post

rallyonthesteps wrote:
Bear with me craigm as I am new to the oc issue. I see you mentioned you didnt want to be on wcsr. Will the local leo in this area give a person a hard time for open carry?

I'm not sure if any of the local LEOs would give OC'ers a hard time, but I don't want to be the one to find out. I can say that all of my experiences with Jonesville Police and Hillsdale County Sheriff have been very pleasant. The only bad experience I've had with a cop locally was a trooper from the MSP.

Pretty nice to know someone OC'ed at the Citgo across from the MSP post. I stopped at that gas station earlier and there wasn't a single MSP car at the post. They're all too busy with the MIS weekend.

Jblack44

imported post

OC'd in Somerset last fall during hunting season. Made stops in the Artesian Well, gas stations, while hunting, etc.... Never had any issues. That's about the only time I'm out in that area.

rallyonthesteps

imported post

cabman1 wrote:
If you guys would like to set up a picnic for everyone in the Hillsdale area we could set it up with flyers and see how many people are around the area that oc or support ocing
That would be nice if your group would hold a Sunday picnic or get together in this area. Us newbies need all the info we can get on this subject.Thanks for all the help from everyone that has posted. Keep the posts coming in.

cabman1

imported post

ok got with the regional coordinator he said that July 17th from 1pm till? sounded like a great day for a picnic. It is a Saturday now all we need is a place would love to have it in a park!!! Easy to find!

rallyonthesteps

imported post

cabman1 wrote:
ok got with the regional coordinator he said that July 17th from 1pm till? sounded like a great day for a picnic. It is a Saturday now all we need is a place would love to have it in a park!!! Easy to find!
Sounds good to me. There are lots of parks in Hillsdale county. One in jonesville right on u.s.12. Baw Beese park with a big lake and Mrs.Stocks park on Bacon Street to name a few. Just throwing a few at you.

cabman1

imported post

rallyonthesteps wrote:
cabman1 wrote:
Sounds good to me. There are lots of parks in Hillsdale county. One in jonesville right on u.s.12. Baw Beese park with a big lake and Mrs.Stocks park on Bacon Street to name a few. Just throwing a few at you.   
the one on us 12 is right across from the police station??that one is highly visible http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/46026.html