• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Top Shot" on the History Channel

tai4de2

imported post

There's a new reality TV program of interest to our community. It's called "Top Shot" and it airs on the History Channel on Sunday evenings.

It features 16 real folks competing in a variety of weapons-related challenges, with one person being eliminated until a champion is determined. The first show was last week and the contestants were firing historical and modern rifles. They also fired handguns at one point.

They have lots of cool slo-mo photography of weapons firing and bullets penetrating their targets. I really enjoyed the first episode. Beautiful in high definition as well.

I think it speaks to the continuing acceptability of guns in American society that a mainstream cable TV channel would air a program like this. Clearly they think there's enough people who would be interested in it to make money doing it.

devildoc5

imported post

wait a minute i thought it was on on sundays?

Anyone got time and day info on this?

I watched the first one on hulu and it is interesting, plenty of good ideas for practice from what I say on the last one. And SUPPOSEDLY they are gonna have the 92fs as the primary weapon on the next show :))

SayWhat

imported post

I saw it.. wasn't that impressed... to much talking not enough shooting.. lol

and when that dude couldn't shoot a 100 yard target I was shocked.. I mean, even I can hit a 100 yard target.

Trigger Dr

imported post

SayWhat wrote:

and when that dude couldn't shoot a 100 yard target I was shocked.. I mean, even I can hit a 100 yard target.
The 03 Springfield has a 300 yd zero for battle sights. I don't think he took that into account.

devildoc5

imported post

either way the fact of the matter is his intro video talks about how he is so well versed in so many different types of guns...

Discounting the usual and required "I will win cause my doodoo dont stink" lines, he still brags an awful lot...

Especially for not hitting a 100 yd target with well over 15 shots...

Then again his spotter wasnt really talking to him either I dont believe, however I dont think when the zombie commie drug lords come looking for us there is gonna be spotters either... :D

John Hardin

imported post

SayWhat wrote:
It's a TeeVee game show based on Survivor - what did you expect?

Be grateful for the shooting and fast-forward over the game show crapola.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"]5,200 shooters applied for a spot on that show, it was then reduced to 50 from there to 16. Some of the folks felt that their reputations were on the line and left the try-outs....

previous shows [/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"]be seen on the History Channel's Web site at www.history.com/shows

As far as Mike and his shooting issues....

[/font]
"The show also did not show Seeklander's problems with the equipment supplied by the show on both the initial team challenge and during the elimination segment when he faced one of his own teammates. "There was an extraction issue with Mike's gun at 400 yards," said Carns. "The casing did not extract and we both had to get in there and dig that casing out to throw another round in there." Seeklander also had to deal with a loose set screw that normally holds the rear sight stable. "Every time he shot the rear sight was bouncing around," Carns explained. "Every time he sighted back in, that rear sight was in a different position. The barrel was pointing in a different position," said Carns. No tools were available to tighten the screw, although Seeklander did the best he could with his thumbnail. Carns said, "We just drew the short straw on that deal and it wasn't Mike's fault he couldn't hit the target. Anybody that had that gun would have had the same difficulty."
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"]Article here: http://www.pahrumpvalleytimes.com/2010/Jun-11-Fri-2010/news/36368792.html
[/font]

devildoc5

imported post

are you saying the outcome of a reality tv show was rigged so as not to allow reality to happen? :what:

You mean the best shooter wont win? :what:

Only the most popular? :what:

I hereby retract my previous statement as it appears the iron sights were not appropriately secured and that sure would mess my up pretty bad.

killchain

imported post

Watched it. It's survivor with eye protection and polo shirts. And some of these "former *insert branch here*" on the show don't know s**t about battle weapons, apparently.

On that note, pro-tip for the AR: battlesight zero to 300m. And if the silhouette is ~100m or closer, aim for the belt buckle. ;)

oldkim

imported post

The show is really there to showcase the firearms and see what even "experienced" people can do with them or not.

Just because you can shoot one type of firearm does not mean you can shoot another (e.g. rifle shooter to pistol). You also have to take into account they are shooting "era" specifictype firearms and other weapons from history.

I'm very proficient with my AR but switching to my SIG556 - has been an eye opener. Totally different sight picture on the SIG. I have it dialed in but it took longer than I expected with open sights.

It's a game show - I just perk up when they are actually shooting (not complaining or making excuses like "Brad" the so called Grand Master Glock shooter).