Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Houston Chronical - Texas Republican party platform may include restoration of open carry rights

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/7049997.html

SNIP

DALLAS — Republican activists bucked Gov. Rick Perry on Saturday by pushing for . . . an "open carry" law, which would allow residents to openly carry firearms in public without a concealed weapons permit.

. . .

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/7049997.html

SNIP

DALLAS — Republican activists bucked Gov. Rick Perry on Saturday by pushing for . . . an "open carry" law, which would allow residents to openly carry firearms in public without a concealed weapons permit.

. . .
    Not exactly the way it was presented in the article...

Butit was in there.

Post imported post

Whats a "pemrit"?

Post imported post

I was there and was fighting for issues when a large number of POOR excuses for delegates sat on their a**es and complained about wanting to hurry up so we could go home. I guess they forgot that our Founding Fathers rode horses for days and spent months working to write, ammend, and ratify our Constitution. The platform does support open carry. Page P-15. The passage is too long to type out, but it starts with:

"We urge the Legislature and Congress to repeal all laws that infringe on the right to bear arms, and to reject any monitoring of gun ownership, and all specific taxation or regulation of guns and ammunition."

it ends with:

"We support "open carry" in the State of Texas and we oppose "Gun Free Zones."

Another issue is the militia.

"We support the establishment and maintenance of a volunteer Constitutional State Militia, with the assistance from County Sheriffs."

The above sounds exciting BUT a speaker to the delegation pointed out that politicians use this platform as "nothing more than a trash can liner."

IT IS UP TO YOU to contact your state rep and work with him to aid in the push for open carry. Organize, Organize, Organize. We got the eye opener America needed because of community organization...

Another bomb shell of a rule is Rule #43. It requires that "each candidate read the entire Texas Republican Party Platform and choose at least 10 line items from the Texas Republican Party Platform that the candidate strongly supports.....The candidates completed platform response shall be made available by the appropriate party officials for one year from the date of filing." Huge.

Post imported post

Anthony_I_am,

I agree. It is a right in my Constitution. A right cannot be granted or taken away by any man or government. A privilege (permit) can. A right and a privilege are polar opposites. It kills me to hear somebody talk about getting a CHL to protect their second amendment RIGHT.

edit for anthony's name

Post imported post

well i purchase my chl to keep everything legal also to purchase without a background check

Post imported post

Here i thought that the 2A was our permit to keep and BEAR arms. I hope Texas gets on board!

Post imported post

I can't find any mention of this on TexasCHLforum.com. Hmmmm, I wonder why that is....

Oh, and Howdy, Mr. Cotton! IP bans don't work worth a flip, in case you didn't already know!

Post imported post

I have a CHL, but I do definitely think that "OPEN CARRY" is the way to actually go! Considering the times and circumstances that we now face, "TO KEEP and BEAR ARMS" is the most safest and sure way to conduct daily business-"I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6" any day of the week. The Person that gets "OPEN CARRY" in will most definitely be the next Governor of TEXAS!

IF they pass an open carry bit...I am soo moving back to Texas. I currently live in Oregon...and they have better laws then Texas...come on Texas you are letting me down!

Quote Originally Posted by botheyesonyou View Post
    Another issue is the militia.

"We support the establishment and maintenance of a volunteer Constitutional State Militia, with the assistance from County Sheriffs."

The above sounds exciting BUT a speaker to the delegation pointed out that politicians use this platform as "nothing more than a trash can liner."
    Texas actually has a militia in the classic sense. The Texas State Guard is an actual working organization tasked with supporting law enforcement among other things. A number of State Guardsmen have been on active duty on the border for several years working to slow the invasion.

Thumbs down

I was unaware that we had a "STATE GUARD" thought that we only had The TEXAS NATIONAL GUARD and some ARMY RESERVE UNITS. But not these are controlled by the FED and not much by any state anymore! Still the "OPEN CARRY" proposition is the real answer to the existing problems in TEXAS as of right now-O'Bama promised 1500 NATIONAL GUARD" Troops to ARIZONA but as now NONE have APPEARED-which makes the answer very CLEAR-the FED don't care!

You'd think Texas of all places would allow open carry, just like we have here in California.

Bad Link?

The link wont work for me.

McX
    they should modify the title of the thread to; houston chronical- texas republican party platform may include restoration of open carry rights, and secession.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    The link wont work for me.
    The only thing the article said about open carry was quoted in the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy_Rick View Post
    I was unaware that we had a "STATE GUARD" thought that we only had The TEXAS NATIONAL GUARD and some ARMY RESERVE UNITS.
    Ummm, yes. We do. And it's not subject to federal control.

http://www.txsg.state.tx.us/

Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    Ummm, yes. We do. And it's not subject to federal control.

http://www.txsg.state.tx.us/
    The "not subject to federal control" part is extremely important. It has happened before that if a governor calls out the National Guard for something the president doesn't like, he "federalizes" the NG and takes them out of the state's authority. The militia can't be federalized.

Like in California ?????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by Don Tomas View Post
    You'd think Texas of all places would allow open carry, just like we have here in California.
    Like in California huh ??????? Oh ................you mean we can legally carry an UNLOADED GUN .......OPENLY......is that what you meant ???????? Just like in " THE PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CALIFORNIA "!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    ...which would allow residents to openly carry firearms in public without a concealed weapons permit.
    Since when has a concealed weapons permit ever been required for open (unconcealed) carry? That's like getting a marriage license so you can drive a car! Ok, more like getting a commercial drivers license (CDL) so you can drive a car, but you get the point: CWPs have nothing to do with open carry.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Since when has a concealed weapons permit ever been required for open (unconcealed) carry? That's like getting a marriage license so you can drive a car! Ok, more like getting a commercial drivers license (CDL) so you can drive a car, but you get the point: CWPs have nothing to do with open carry.
    Not positive, but I believe there is a state or four that require a concealed weapon's permit to open carry. I think what happened was that they legalized open carry with a permit and just tacked it on to the current CWP without bothering to change the name to carry permit or something like that.

Open carry

Well, I have a Concealed Carry Permit, but that is for my personal use, and I think that all should sit through the "LAW CLASSES" and prove that they have had some time on the "RANGE", but not necessarily a Concealed Carry Permit. Education is a good thing, but this being "Constitutionally Correct"-Open Carry, that is, a license should not be a prerequisit to obatining the Open Carry status. Do remember that you must keep track of the LAWS because they can change on you at any given time and with the way the Supreme Court is shaping up-I'd trust NO ONE!

But if this is the case, then so be it! Some type of recognition for completing the "RANGE" and "LAW CLASSES" would have to be rendered to the Carrier. Otherwise the problem of having people that are unaware of what they are doing or even how to handle a "BRASH" situation may accidentally make the wrong decision-and if this can be stopped, then we should try the best that we can to advert such instances from occurring, if at all possible!
    Last edited by Cowboy_Rick; 07-14-2010 at 08:01 PM. Reason: add to writing.

Louisiana and AZ has open carry. No permit needed. Several other states do as well. TX has fought for it many times but the elected representatives do not feel the citizens of TX can be trusted with open carry.

Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    Louisiana and AZ has open carry. No permit needed. Several other states do as well. TX has fought for it many times but the elected representatives do not feel the citizens of TX can be trusted with open carry.
    My goodness! What a crying shame. No wonder so many Texans are moving to other states these days.
    Last edited by since9; 08-20-2010 at 03:26 PM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    My goodness! What a crying shame. No wonder so many Texans are moving to other states these days.
    That'd be more because Texas is being invaded by the Commifornicators.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast