• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Houston Chronical - Texas Republican party platform may include restoration of open carry rights

Leader

imported post

Mike wrote:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/politics/7049997.html

SNIP

DALLAS — Republican activists bucked Gov. Rick Perry on Saturday by pushing for . . . an "open carry" law, which would allow residents to openly carry firearms in public without a concealed weapons permit.

. . .

Not exactly the way it was presented in the article...:)

Butit was in there.

botheyesonyou

imported post

I was there and was fighting for issues when a large number of POOR excuses for delegates sat on their a**es and complained about wanting to hurry up so we could go home. I guess they forgot that our Founding Fathers rode horses for days and spent months working to write, ammend, and ratify our Constitution. The platform does support open carry. Page P-15. The passage is too long to type out, but it starts with:

"We urge the Legislature and Congress to repeal all laws that infringe on the right to bear arms, and to reject any monitoring of gun ownership, and all specific taxation or regulation of guns and ammunition."

it ends with:

"We support "open carry" in the State of Texas and we oppose "Gun Free Zones."

Another issue is the militia.

"We support the establishment and maintenance of a volunteer Constitutional State Militia, with the assistance from County Sheriffs."

The above sounds exciting BUT a speaker to the delegation pointed out that politicians use this platform as "nothing more than a trash can liner."

IT IS UP TO YOU to contact your state rep and work with him to aid in the push for open carry. Organize, Organize, Organize. We got the eye opener America needed because of community organization...

Another bomb shell of a rule is Rule #43. It requires that "each candidate read the entire Texas Republican Party Platform and choose at least 10 line items from the Texas Republican Party Platform that the candidate strongly supports.....The candidates completed platform response shall be made available by the appropriate party officials for one year from the date of filing." Huge.

botheyesonyou

imported post

Anthony_I_am,

I agree. It is a right in my Constitution. A right cannot be granted or taken away by any man or government. A privilege (permit) can. A right and a privilege are polar opposites. It kills me to hear somebody talk about getting a CHL to protect their second amendment RIGHT.

edit for anthony's name

zig-zag

imported post

Here i thought that the 2A was our permit to keep and BEAR arms. I hope Texas gets on board!

KBCraig

imported post

I can't find any mention of this on TexasCHLforum.com. Hmmmm, I wonder why that is....

Oh, and Howdy, Mr. Cotton! IP bans don't work worth a flip, in case you didn't already know!

Cowboy_Rick

imported post

I have a CHL, but I do definitely think that "OPEN CARRY" is the way to actually go! Considering the times and circumstances that we now face, "TO KEEP and BEAR ARMS" is the most safest and sure way to conduct daily business-"I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6" any day of the week. The Person that gets "OPEN CARRY" in will most definitely be the next Governor of TEXAS!

tofubento

IF they pass an open carry bit...I am soo moving back to Texas. I currently live in Oregon...and they have better laws then Texas...come on Texas you are letting me down!

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
Another issue is the militia.

"We support the establishment and maintenance of a volunteer Constitutional State Militia, with the assistance from County Sheriffs."

The above sounds exciting BUT a speaker to the delegation pointed out that politicians use this platform as "nothing more than a trash can liner."
Texas actually has a militia in the classic sense. The Texas State Guard is an actual working organization tasked with supporting law enforcement among other things. A number of State Guardsmen have been on active duty on the border for several years working to slow the invasion.

Cowboy_Rick

I was unaware that we had a "STATE GUARD" thought that we only had The TEXAS NATIONAL GUARD and some ARMY RESERVE UNITS. But not these are controlled by the FED and not much by any state anymore! Still the "OPEN CARRY" proposition is the real answer to the existing problems in TEXAS as of right now-O'Bama promised 1500 NATIONAL GUARD" Troops to ARIZONA but as now NONE have APPEARED-which makes the answer very CLEAR-the FED don't care!

Don Tomas

You'd think Texas of all places would allow open carry, just like we have here in California. ;)

M

McX

they should modify the title of the thread to; houston chronical- texas republican party platform may include restoration of open carry rights, and secession.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
Ummm, yes. We do. And it's not subject to federal control.

http://www.txsg.state.tx.us/

The "not subject to federal control" part is extremely important. It has happened before that if a governor calls out the National Guard for something the president doesn't like, he "federalizes" the NG and takes them out of the state's authority. The militia can't be federalized.

W5DVC

Like in California ?????????????????

You'd think Texas of all places would allow open carry, just like we have here in California. ;)

Like in California huh ??????? Oh ................you mean we can legally carry an UNLOADED GUN .......OPENLY......is that what you meant ???????? Just like in " THE PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CALIFORNIA "!!!

since9

Campaign Veteran
...which would allow residents to openly carry firearms in public without a concealed weapons permit.

Since when has a concealed weapons permit ever been required for open (unconcealed) carry? That's like getting a marriage license so you can drive a car! Ok, more like getting a commercial drivers license (CDL) so you can drive a car, but you get the point: CWPs have nothing to do with open carry.