• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Proper Storage while at the beach

thejax

imported post

I don't do this now but the topic came up in a discussion between myself and some friends.

Say you are with some friends riding around on scooters or mopeds and end up at the beach. You are carrying concealed. You decide you all want to go in the water. Is there a legal and proper way to store your firearm on the beach while you go in the water?

Normally you would just secure it in your car. But what if you don't have your car today, you have a scooter or moped and you are now already on the beach sitting down?

What is legal and responsible in Florida?

JeepSeller

imported post

thejax,basic common sense says that it's ill advised to leave your gun on the beach unsecured for a whole lot of reasons.

Honestly, I think this is one of those situations where legalities aside, it's just not a good idea, regardless of what the law says. Truthfully, if you want a law to point at, it's unlawful to leave a firearm accessible to children. I don't have the time at the moment to dig up the statutes. But, certainly, on a beach, stuffing a gun down into your sneakers and covering it up with your t-shirt to go into the water would certainly violate that law I'm sure.

I see only two choices in this case. If you know you're headed to the beach and are likely to get into the water, either leave the gun at home or someone sits on the beach, in control of the guns, while the other's take to the water.

I suppose you could wear your gun into the water. But, I wouldn't advise THAT either. :lol:

Edit: Now that I think about it, if your scooter had some form of a secured, locking compartment, which many do, that'd be OK legally from what I see. You're only risk there is someone stealing your scooter and not only getting your scooter, but, your valuable gun too.:cuss:

As far as legally transferring to the scooter...just use your t-shirt to conceal what you are doing. I keep a towelin my saddle bag of my motorcycle so I can kind of cover what I'm doing should I need to transfer my gun fromconcealed on my side tothe bag or back again. Takes a little practice and thought, but, not hard to accomplish.

brboyer

imported post

JeepSeller wrote:
thejax,basic common sense says that it's ill advised to leave your gun on the beach unsecured for a whole lot of reasons.

Honestly, I think this is one of those situations where legalities aside, it's just not a good idea, regardless of what the law says. Truthfully, if you want a law to point at, it's unlawful to leave a firearm accessible to children. I don't have the time at the moment to dig up the statutes. But, certainly, on a beach, stuffing a gun down into your sneakers and covering it up with your t-shirt to go into the water would certainly violate that law I'm sure.

I see only two choices in this case. If you know you're headed to the beach and are likely to get into the water, either leave the gun at home or someone sits on the beach, in control of the guns, while the other's take to the water.

I suppose you could wear your gun into the water. But, I wouldn't advise THAT either. :lol:

Edit: Now that I think about it, if your scooter had some form of a secured, locking compartment, which many do, that'd be OK legally from what I see. You're only risk there is someone stealing your scooter and not only getting your scooter, but, your valuable gun too.:cuss:

As far as legally transferring to the scooter...just use your t-shirt to conceal what you are doing. I keep a towelin my saddle bag of my motorcycle so I can kind of cover what I'm doing should I need to transfer my gun fromconcealed on my side tothe bag or back again. Takes a little practice and thought, but, not hard to accomplish.

Truthfully, if you want a law to point at, it's unlawful to leave a firearm accessible to children

Actually in Florida that statute reads:
A person who stores or leaves, on a premise under his or her control, a loaded firearm. . . shall keep the firearm in a securely locked box or container or in a location which a reasonable person would believe to be secure or shall secure it with a trigger lock, except when the person is carrying the firearm on his or her body or within such close proximity thereto that he or she can retrieve and use it as easily and quickly as if he or she carried it on his or her body.

Thelaw is directed at people that have firearms and invited minors in their homes.

So if you are not in a building or upon land that isyours (or under your control) there is no violation of the law. Also the law does not apply if a minor gains access via an unlawful entry by any person. Theft (taking someones else's property) is illegal, and therefore the law does not apply.

Personally I would not leave my firearm unattended.

When you carry a firearm, you really, really need to plan things in advance. If you are not prepared to go in the water, don't.

If the likelihood of you randomly ending up at the beach with the possibility of an overwhelming desire to go in the water, is so great (it must be if you are posting about it) perhaps you should plan for that eventuality.

Maybe get afanny pack that you keep attached to the bike. Keep a couple of one gallon size Ziploc bags in it. Put gun, wallet and other stuff in Ziploc, and put in fanny pack, put on fanny pack and enjoy the water.

JeepSeller

imported post

I appreciate clarifying that brboyer. I just didn't have the time to dig it up at the moment and wasn't completely sure of the wording. Lawful or not, in my humble opinion, it would be very unwise to tuck your gun under your t-shirt left on a beach blanket for reasons that should be apparent to anyone claiming to be a responsible gun owner.

Seriously, as brboyer points out, carrying requires making good choices. Make the right ones.