Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33

Thread: Gun Storage

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    , Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    49

    Post imported post

    I am a single mom of a small child and live in the downstairs half of a house. My roomate lives upstairs with his two kids (8 and 10). My roomate is living in this bubble and thinks that nobody needs to lock their doors or have guns for self defense. He has chosen not to educate his kids on guns or gun safety and asked that I keep my firearm locked up when I'm not carrying it (which I would do regaurdless of his asking) and he wants me to cover it up as I leave the house and come home so the kids don't see it. He's not totally anti-gun but he just thinks I shouldn't have it. Even though he says he's afraid his kids will get ahold of my pistol, he hasn't had any kind of safety talk with them and he still allows them to come in my room when I am not home (which obviously bothers me for privacy reasons too). Even though I have the gun either on me or locked in a lock box (and the key is ALWAYS with ME), it still bothers me that IF for some reason they were to get it, it would be bad.

    So, I have and carry a firearm because I have a very specific threat. My daughter's dad is very dangerous and has followed me a lot (from moving within a few blocks of my house to following me to school). He has threatened multiple times to kidnap her and to kill me. There is a long history of abuse and violence from him also. The first time he found my then new place of residence he would beat on the siding and even went into the house once when I was gone and made a huge mess of my stuff. The place I'm living nowwas my third move and I'm also on my third vehicle and I have lost count of how many times I've changed my phone number. Don't worry, I realize I was dumb to have stayed with him and what not, but I had the guts to leave and stick to my guns, no pun intended. I have placed multiple restraining orders and what not on him which he has violated multiple times. This is a very real and current thing that I am going through and either he is trying to find where I live at this very moment or he already knows and is waiting to make his move. I have already taken many other safety precautions like locking doors and keep my phone always charged and near my bed, my daughter and I made strings of bells that we hung from her door and we have all the noisy toys stacked infront of her window. I sleep with my door open and there is a night light in her room and the hall. All those things were all that I could think of to just make sure we were safe, and then I got the gun and took the class for my permit.

    At the moment, I sleep with the gun locked in the safe but loaded. I decided not to have it chambered but I keep the key in the hole when I sleep so I don't have to fumble with a key when it's dark and I'm all nervous. The lock box is in a little nitch right above my head when I sleep so my daughter would literally have to sit on me to get to it (and she and I have had multiple conversations about the gun and safety so she knows she shouldn't touch it). I know this is getting long but I want to know how I can store my gun so that it is safe for my baby but easy and fast for me to get to it in a hurry. I have practiced getting it out of the box and it is very likely that I would die before I could get the gun out (his friends have told me that he has a gun and has talked about using it on me). Is the way I have it now the best I can do? Please, suggestions!!

    Thank you in advance for any suggestions and understanding. Please no lectures on good/bad boyfriend choices =)

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063

    Post imported post

    If you continue to live with this person, that is the price you will pay: children roaming freely through your space and touching your stuff. You are going to have to lock the gun up when it is not directly under your control or when you are sleeping.

    I think the demand to cover the gun is unreasonable. You should carry it openly, forcing the dad to have a conversation with his kids about guns.

    The ultimate solution is that you need a new roommate. Someone will have to move eventually. Your next roommate must be on the same page with you on the issue of firearms.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Broondog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ste. Gen County, MO, , USA
    Posts
    369

    Post imported post

    i would suggest a Biometric Gun Safe. they are designed to only open for you and make for quick and easy access to your firearm.

    you can read about them here....http://biometricgunsafe.net/

    if you google "biometric gun safe" you should get a lot of hits to retailers so you can get a price idea, but if you need it now you should search locally.

    having your weapon accessible to only you is a huge plus when small children are around and a very smart move on your part. best of luck to you!

    here are some links to a couple of online retailers. i'm sure there are many more but these were on the first page of hits in my search. hopefully you can find one to fit into your budget, but then again how much money is too much when it comes to safety?

    http://www.gunsafes.com/Biometric-Gun-Safe.html

    http://www.avidbiometrics.com/Biometric-Safes-c3/


    I'm the one who's gotta die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

    NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    , Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    49

    Post imported post

    eye95 wrote:
    If you continue to live with this person, that is the price you will pay: children roaming freely through your space and touching your stuff. You are going to have to lock the gun up when it is not directly under your control or when you are sleeping.

    I think the demand to cover the gun is unreasonable. You should carry it openly, forcing the dad to have a conversation with his kids about guns.

    The ultimate solution is that you need a new roommate. Someone will have to move eventually. Your next roommate must be on the same page with you on the issue of firearms.
    Agreed and I do want to move but I will most likely be here til next spring. I am just graduating college and supporting a kid on my own. I have two jobs that barely pay the bills so moving now is no option and he is here to stay. My next roomate will be my boyfriend who is himself a lover of guns and carrying so that is no issue. Roomate or not, I would still like to know the best way to safely store a gun?!

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    , Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    49

    Post imported post

    Broondog wrote:
    i would suggest a Biometric Gun Safe. they are designed to only open for you and make for quick and easy access to your firearm.

    you can read about them here....http://biometricgunsafe.net/

    if you google "biometric gun safe" you should get a lot of hits to retailers so you can get a price idea, but if you need it now you should search locally.

    having your weapon accessible to only you is a huge plus when small children are around and a very smart move on your part. best of luck to you!

    here are some links to a couple of online retailers. i'm sure there are many more but these were on the first page of hits in my search. hopefully you can find one to fit into your budget, but then again how much money is too much when it comes to safety?

    http://www.gunsafes.com/Biometric-Gun-Safe.html

    http://www.avidbiometrics.com/Biometric-Safes-c3/

    Thank you for the links and the well wishes!! My boyfriend and I have been looking at those and talking about how bad I need to get one but neither of us can really afford it right now. Agreed that there is no price on safety, but I literally have no money to spare right now. So in the time being, how do you suggest I keep my gun locked up? There have been nighs that I hear strange noises and my roomate is gone and I'll have the gun under my pillow but I don't do that very often...

  6. #6
    Regular Member Broondog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ste. Gen County, MO, , USA
    Posts
    369

    Post imported post

    TTcrunchberry wrote:
    Thank you for the links and the well wishes!! My boyfriend and I have been looking at those and talking about how bad I need to get one but neither of us can really afford it right now. Agreed that there is no price on safety, but I literally have no money to spare right now. So in the time being, how do you suggest I keep my gun locked up? There have been nighs that I hear strange noises and my roomate is gone and I'll have the gun under my pillow but I don't do that very often...
    until you get something more suitable i suppose you will have to improvise such as you currently are. another thought, since under the pillow is not the safest place for anyone, is to tuck your pistol between your mattress and box springs but only while you are sleeping. this should give you quicker access at night. any other time it should either be on you or in the locked box when kids are around.


    hopefully someone will come along with some other ideas. i myself have no children and none are ever in my home so i keep my firearms wherever i want.
    I'm the one who's gotta die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

    NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

  7. #7
    Regular Member Haz.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    I come from a land downunder.
    Posts
    1,227

    Post imported post

    Hi TTcrunchberry.

    Personally, and I understand you must do what you feel is correct, but under the situation you have described yourself to be in, I wouldn't be without my gun at the ready atany time, or anywhere, day or night. Your current roomate is only that, a roomate, and his kids should stay out of your part of the house unless invited, period. If anything harm shouldbefallyou or your child, would your roomate fix things for you?

    Ask your roomate to buy you a biometric safe if hethinks your gunneeds to be hidden away from his children. I bet he wont/



    Regards,

    Haz.
    When a criminal invades your home and has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.

    My Definition of Gun Control: The idea that dozens of people found dead in the Broadway Café, Tasmania, and many also seriously wounded, all while waiting for police, who were called to show up and protect them, is somehow morally superior to having several armed and therefore alive civilian's explaining to police how the attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

  8. #8
    Regular Member frommycolddeadhands's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Knob Noster, MO
    Posts
    451

    Post imported post

    The best advice I can give is this: Keep the gun on your person at all times while you are awake. Not only is there a serious threat against you and your daughter, but also keeping the gun on your person keeps it in your personal control. (ie you don't have to worry about the room-mate's kids sneaking into your room while you are in the kitchen and getting into stuff)

    As for at night when you are sleeping, keeping the gunin a safe with the key inserted into the lock is basically the same thing as putting the gun in a nightstand drawer. It's not going to keep anyone out of it. You'd probably be much safer just locking your bedroom door (if your door is so equipped). If not, you can buy a simple slide lock atany hardware storefor about two bucks, that'll at least keep the kids out of your room while you are in it. (ie sleeping) and you won't have to worry so much about keeping the safe locked.

    It sounds like you are bending over backward to be amiable toward your room mate, but he's not reciprocating very well. I understand- on a certain level- him being afraid that his kids might somehow get ahold of your gun and an accident might happen. That being said, it is a two way street. You as a responsible gun owner are doing your part. Now he needs to step up and do a little parenting. Rule number one should be to keep the kids out of your room, especially when you are not there. (That's just common courtesy anyway). Also, keeping the gun 'hidden' as you go to and fro is just plain unreasonable. Again, it is on your person, it is under your control.

    I think it ispretty selfish of him tolay down a bunch of rules on you just so that he won't have totalk to his kids.In any event, you may want to think about having a talk with him and discussing a few of these things. If you're paying rent you have certain rights while living there. One is that neither him or his kids have any right to go into your room while you aren't there. Secondly, you are under no obligation (unless your contract specifies otherwise) to hide your firearm from anybody.

    Now, that being said, if you are going out and won't be taking your firearm with you for some reason, absolutely lock it up and take the key withyou. Otherwise, keep positive control of it at all times, and make sure youcan get to it quick at night. Hope this helped.

    Good luck andGod bless.
    God is the one driving this stagecoach, I'm just riding shotgun.

  9. #9
    Regular Member frommycolddeadhands's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Knob Noster, MO
    Posts
    451

    Post imported post

    TTcrunchberry wrote:
    My roomate is living in this bubble and thinks that nobody needs to lock their doors or have guns for self defense.

    PS- does he insist on leaving the doors unlocked at night even with your current situation?? :what:
    God is the one driving this stagecoach, I'm just riding shotgun.

  10. #10
    Regular Member 1245A Defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    north mason county, Washington, USA
    Posts
    4,381

    Post imported post

    TTcrunchberry wrote:
    I am a single mom of a small child and live in the downstairs half of a house. My roomate lives upstairs with his two kids (8 and 10). My roomate is living in this bubble and thinks that nobody needs to lock their doors or have guns for self defense. He has chosen not to educate his kids on guns or gun safety and asked that I keep my firearm locked up when I'm not carrying it (which I would do regaurdless of his asking) and he wants me to cover it up as I leave the house and come home so the kids don't see it. He's not totally anti-gun but he just thinks I shouldn't have it. Even though he says he's afraid his kids will get ahold of my pistol, he hasn't had any kind of safety talk with them and he still allows them to come in my room when I am not home (which obviously bothers me for privacy reasons too). Even though I have the gun either on me or locked in a lock box (and the key is ALWAYS with ME), it still bothers me that IF for some reason they were to get it, it would be bad.

    So, I have and carry a firearm because I have a very specific threat. My daughter's dad is very dangerous and has followed me a lot (from moving within a few blocks of my house to following me to school). He has threatened multiple times to kidnap her and to kill me. There is a long history of abuse and violence from him also. The first time he found my then new place of residence he would beat on the siding and even went into the house once when I was gone and made a huge mess of my stuff. The place I'm living nowwas my third move and I'm also on my third vehicle and I have lost count of how many times I've changed my phone number. Don't worry, I realize I was dumb to have stayed with him and what not, but I had the guts to leave and stick to my guns, no pun intended. I have placed multiple restraining orders and what not on him which he has violated multiple times. This is a very real and current thing that I am going through and either he is trying to find where I live at this very moment or he already knows and is waiting to make his move. I have already taken many other safety precautions like locking doors and keep my phone always charged and near my bed, my daughter and I made strings of bells that we hung from her door and we have all the noisy toys stacked infront of her window. I sleep with my door open and there is a night light in her room and the hall. All those things were all that I could think of to just make sure we were safe, and then I got the gun and took the class for my permit.

    At the moment, I sleep with the gun locked in the safe but loaded. I decided not to have it chambered but I keep the key in the hole when I sleep so I don't have to fumble with a key when it's dark and I'm all nervous. The lock box is in a little nitch right above my head when I sleep so my daughter would literally have to sit on me to get to it (and she and I have had multiple conversations about the gun and safety so she knows she shouldn't touch it). I know this is getting long but I want to know how I can store my gun so that it is safe for my baby but easy and fast for me to get to it in a hurry. I have practiced getting it out of the box and it is very likely that I would die before I could get the gun out (his friends have told me that he has a gun and has talked about using it on me). Is the way I have it now the best I can do? Please, suggestions!!

    Thank you in advance for any suggestions and understanding. Please no lectures on good/bad boyfriend choices =)
    ive read all your threads and all your posts....

    i will be first to call B.S.

    you know all the reasons to carry,,, youve got good reason to carry, always!!
    you live in bad conditions. your boyfriend carries, but wont talk,, boo hoo..
    you have wasted the time and typing of some of the most thoughtful and
    educated members of this forum, to backup thoughts you have shown that
    you fully understand since you joined up..

    i have said enough,,, there is nothing for me to tell you that you dont already know...
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

    “If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

    Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

    All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

  11. #11
    Newbie madrevar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Saint Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    47

    Post imported post

    1245A Defender, why don't you take your negative attitude some where else? Can't you just appreciate that a new member has come on the board to ask honest questions, unlike all the trolls we get daily/weekly? What would please you Mr.? I guess no one should dare ask any questions if they might already know the answer. SOMEONE might ridicule you for wanting to know if your thinking along the correct path. Way to be friendly and welcoming Defender, your such a good ambassador for the site.

  12. #12
    Regular Member frommycolddeadhands's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Knob Noster, MO
    Posts
    451

    Post imported post

    TTCrunchberry,

    I just read your other post regarding why OC that sorta started this thread. In it you mentioned that your roomie also has a gun, a rifle I think you mentioned, but that he doesn't proprely control it (ie he leaves it laying around where the kids can get to it). That adds a whole new perspective onto this whole thing, and although I was reserving judgement earlier, I am now personally labeling your roomie a complete and total J@ck @ss

    Firstly, he needs to control his kids, especiallywhen it comes to your personal space. If he's so afraid of them sneaking into your room and gaining access to the gun that you keep locked up, then he needs to be a parent and keep them the heck outta there. (again, this is really just common courtesy, but it is a safety issue when kids and firearms are involved)

    Secondly, he has absolutely NO leg to stand on when he asks you to hide your gun, especially if he has his own rifle laying around non-chalantly where his kids or even your daughter can get access to it. DUMB DUMB DUMB!

    Thirdly, since he's been such a stickler to you about your gun, I think it is far overdue that you insist he secure his OWN weapon. In a house with that many kids he shouldn't be leaving a rifle laying around within their easy reach.

    Finally, the whole bit about him throwing a fit if you lock the doors at night is absolutely STUPID. You pay rent, lock the darn doors. If he has a problem with it I fully encourage you to bite his head off. I hope you get the chance to move out soon, and get a lock on your own door in the meantime.

    Cheers
    God is the one driving this stagecoach, I'm just riding shotgun.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063

    Post imported post

    The first one to call BS??? How about the only one?

    What an unnecessarily nasty post.

  14. #14
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    Educating the kids yours and room mates is a priority. Take them to the range let them shoot your gun (or a smaller gun like a .22)kids that don't know how to handle or use gunsare the ones that seem to get hurt the most. It also takes some of the mystery or mystique out of the firearm. There have been cases where young ones have protected their families with firearms, a 10 year old protected himself and his sister from harm with their mothers pistol when she wasn't home.

    I would also make sure all the children in this household learn safe words and what to do, have a plan of action in the case something does happen. These situations are tough to deal with and peices of paper from the judicial system won't protect you and your family/freinds. It looks like you have already taken steps to protect yourself and may have done what I mentioned here already too. I truly hope everything turns out for the best for you.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  15. #15
    Regular Member MamaLiberty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Newcastle, Wyoming, USA
    Posts
    885

    Post imported post

    1245A Defender - consider yourself taken to the woodshed and properly chastized. What a dumb, counterproductive thing to say to a newbie with serious questions. Take a hike if you can't be civil.

    TTcrunchberry - You are one gutsy lady and I salute you. Just keep asking, learning and practicing. You own your life, and you alone are responsible for it and your safety, not to mention your child. Do what you must do to carry that out.

    Just realize that your need for self defense and an adequate self defense tool will not change if the X were to drop dead today, or when you are united with your current boyfriend. These things change the dynamics and immediacy in some ways, but not the basic premise of self ownership/responsibility.

    Sounds like your current storage method is probably the best you're going to have for a little while. Just be sure you realize the limitations. Locked doors and noisemakers are a very good extra precaution when at home. The more of that sort of thing you can do, the better. But the most important thing is to be aware of your surroundings at all times and not let things distract you too much when you are out and about. I know that is a hard one with children, but someone attacking you will WATCH for those moments and strike at you when you are most vulnerable.

    You said you took a handgun course. I would urge you to take a good SELF DEFENSE course as well. The NRA "Personal Protection" pair are quite good. If you will PM or email me with an email address, I'll be glad to send you the booklet I wrote as supplemental material for those classes. Included is the story of the man I had to shoot to save my life.

    Hang in there, sister. Stay safe.


    I will not knowingly initiate force. I am a self owner.

    Let the record show that I did not consent to be governed. I did not consent to any constitution. I did not consent to any president. I did not consent to any law except the natural law of "mala en se." I did not consent to the police. Nor any tax. Nor any prohibition of anything. Nor any regulation or licensing of any kind.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    , Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    49

    Post imported post

    frommycolddeadhands wrote:
    TTcrunchberry wrote:
    My roomate is living in this bubble and thinks that nobody needs to lock their doors or have guns for self defense.

    PS- does he insist on leaving the doors unlocked at night even with your current situation?? :what:
    He did until recently. If I locked them he would go and unlock them. Then my x started getting too close for comfort, even for the roomate and I had a talk with him so now he locks the doors.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358

    Post imported post

    Answer #1 to your situation:

    GET A NEW ROOMMATE.

    You say he's not anti-gun, he just doesn't like YOU having one. That sort of attitude is ALL about control. What bothers him isn't the idea of a gun around his children. What bothers him is the idea of a strong, responsible woman who can defend herself and her family. And that, dear lady, is a SICKNESS that should not be tolerated in any relationship, even if it's just a roommate...

    The bit about not locking doors is also an intrusive bit of control he's imposing on you. You have a right to your own personal, secure, LOCKED spaces. If you own the house an your roommate is a tenant, I would suggest kicking him out toot suite, because some insisting on unlocked doors generally mean they want easy access to your stuff so they can use it, or even take it. And it is also a "control over" issue.

    IF he is the owner of the property, and YOU are a tenant, then I would suggest that you and your family RELOCATE ASAP. This guy sounds like a seething control freek, and it's just a matter of time before he starts insisting on "quiet hours" and attempting to regulate how long you can leave your lights turned on, and what sort of pillows you should have on your sofa...


    Answer #2 per your crazy baby-daddy situation:

    I see you have already sworn out a restraining order on him. Good for you! Many women are soafraid they won't do that. This will do a number of things. First, it will make it illegal for him to get close to you or your family. (which doesn't mean anything to him, but it will give the cops an excuse to hassle him if he tries anything.) second, it AUTOMATICALLY makes it illegal for him to possess a firearm in most states, meaning if he is caught with a gun (even during a traffic stop), it will be confiscated, and he could be arrested. Third, it makes it an arrestable offense to buy a new gun, and if he tries to buy one from a dealer and lies on his 4473, it's a SEROIOUS federal crime. Fourth, if he does do something stupis like try to attack you or your family, and you shoot him, it makes your case of a "clean and righteous act of self defense" MUCH stronger, especially if you state in your sworn restraining order that you fear for your life from this guy.

    When dealing with jut-jobs like this, you HAVE to establish a "paper trail". The fatter his file is--with complaints, restraining orders, reports of trespassing, etc--the better is is, because when (and it's not "if", but WHEN) he finally DOES do something violent, a fat file of reports, complaints and charges riding his back will make things a LOT easier for the DA, when it comes to building a case against him and putting him away.

    Every time he makes a threatening phone call--REPORT IT. Every time he makes a verbal threat to you directly--REPORT IT. Every time he stalks you or parks hi car out front of your house or place of work--REPORT IT. Get your friends in on it too--have THEM report when he makes threats against you to them. KEEP BUILDING THE PAPER TRAIL...


    Answer #3, per the safe:

    When your firearm is not on your hip, you should have it secured. Biometric safes are a good solution--they are fast, secure, and can only be operated by YOU. But the drawback is that they are expensive.

    A small, portable fireproof file safe (like a Honeywell, or some such brand) can often be got at a place like BigLots or other discount stores, and for well under $50, you can have a secure container that is lockable, watertight, fire resistant, and can be chained to something secure like a bed or an eye-bolt screwed into a wall stud. The added advantage of these small portable fireproof safes is they can be unshackled from your home and use for transport in your vehicle when travelling. I have a couple for JUST this purpose...

    The best way to keep VERY small children safe is to keep your dangerous items (firearms, sharp tools, heavy objects on shelves) SECURE and out of reach. I don't care what ANYONE says, a 2-year-old can't really understand "NO" when it comes to interesting-looking mechanical devices (like guns), and at that age, they have NO idea whatsoever what "dead" or "maimed" means. Securing your firearms is ESSENTIAL around toddlers. By the time they his kindergarten (age 5 or so) then you can start actually "training" them about safety, because then they can sort of understand it, and have the ability to over-ride their own strong "id" and understand rules and restrictions.

    Look into the NRA's "Eddie Eagle" program for educating children on gun safety--it's VERY good, and has LOTS of material from coloring books to DVDs.

    I jut want to say THANK YOU for making the effort to educate yourself and do the right thing. We need MORE mothers like you, who are responsible, strong, and capable to defend themselves and their families.

    Good luck and BE SAFE.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  18. #18
    Founder's Club Member PrayingForWar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Real World.
    Posts
    1,705

    Post imported post

    eye95 wrote:
    The first one to call BS??? How about the only one?

    What an unnecessarily nasty post.
    +1

    Here we had a person poor their heart out and seek advice only too be chastised. I'm glad she's gotten good advice from all of you, I have nothing better too add to it. That is other than ignore impulsive and nasty replies.
    If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training. You will become a minister of death, PRAYING FOR WAR...

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    , Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    49

    Post imported post

    Dreamer wrote:
    Answer #2 per your crazy baby-daddy situation:

    I see you have already sworn out a restraining order on him. Good for you! Many women are soafraid they won't do that. This will do a number of things. First, it will make it illegal for him to get close to you or your family. (which doesn't mean anything to him, but it will give the cops an excuse to hassle him if he tries anything.) second, it AUTOMATICALLY makes it illegal for him to possess a firearm in most states, meaning if he is caught with a gun (even during a traffic stop), it will be confiscated, and he could be arrested. Third, it makes it an arrestable offense to buy a new gun, and if he tries to buy one from a dealer and lies on his 4473, it's a SEROIOUS federal crime. Fourth, if he does do something stupis like try to attack you or your family, and you shoot him, it makes your case of a "clean and righteous act of self defense" MUCH stronger, especially if you state in your sworn restraining order that you fear for your life from this guy.

    When dealing with jut-jobs like this, you HAVE to establish a "paper trail". The fatter his file is--with complaints, restraining orders, reports of trespassing, etc--the better is is, because when (and it's not "if", but WHEN) he finally DOES do something violent, a fat file of reports, complaints and charges riding his back will make things a LOT easier for the DA, when it comes to building a case against him and putting him away.

    Every time he makes a threatening phone call--REPORT IT. Every time he makes a verbal threat to you directly--REPORT IT. Every time he stalks you or parks hi car out front of your house or place of work--REPORT IT. Get your friends in on it too--have THEM report when he makes threats against you to them. KEEP BUILDING THE PAPER TRAIL...

    Look into the NRA's "Eddie Eagle" program for educating children on gun safety--it's VERY good, and has LOTS of material from coloring books to DVDs.

    I jut want to say THANK YOU for making the effort to educate yourself and do the right thing. We need MORE mothers like you, who are responsible, strong, and capable to defend themselves and their families.

    Good luck and BE SAFE.
    I do call the police even if he only violates with an email or phone call, even when it is not horribly threatening andunfortunately the police really don't do much. I have litterally been told that he would have to kill me for the police to take proper action. But yes, I am trying my best to keep a paper trail going.

    Do you have to be an NRA member to get the "Eddie Eagle" stuff? Great rescource, thank you so much!!

    And you are welcome, I am just trying to do what's best and safest for my daughter. Thank you so much for your advice and kind words!!

  20. #20
    Regular Member MamaLiberty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Newcastle, Wyoming, USA
    Posts
    885

    Post imported post

    No, you do not need to be an NRA member to order any of their books or attend any of the classes. Members get some discounts on materials, of course, but you can buy them and they are not expensive.

    http://materials.nrahq.org/go/produc...x?cat=EE_Books
    I will not knowingly initiate force. I am a self owner.

    Let the record show that I did not consent to be governed. I did not consent to any constitution. I did not consent to any president. I did not consent to any law except the natural law of "mala en se." I did not consent to the police. Nor any tax. Nor any prohibition of anything. Nor any regulation or licensing of any kind.

  21. #21
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358

    Post imported post

    You don't have to be a member, but if you are, I think you get a small discount...

    http://www.nrahq.org/safety/eddie/

    There is a brochure (free) and a 7 minute DVD (9.95).


    There are also workbooks, and "teacher packs" that you can order here:

    http://www.nrahq.org/safety/eddie/materials.asp

    It's a pretty good program. This safety training is based on 4 simple rules for children:

    If you find a gun:
    STOP!
    Don't Touch.

    Leave the Area.
    Tell an Adult.

    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  22. #22
    Regular Member Brimstone Baritone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Leeds, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    786

    Post imported post

    Try this site: http://corneredcat.com/

    Someone may have already linked you here, but it's a great site and has a nice section on "Kids and Guns" that sounds perfect for you.

    My two cents, keep the gun in a holster on you person as much as you possibly can. I know it sounds weird to carry around the house, but that is by far the safest place for the gun to be.

    +1 that having the key in the lock is just like having it in a night stand drawer, but I can't think of anything better you could do. Any way you could wear the holster to bed? I wouldn't want to either...
    There was a time that the pieces fit, but I watched them fall away, mildewed and smoldering, strangled by our coveting. I've done the math enough to know the dangers of our second guessing. Doomed to crumble, unless we grow and strengthen our communication. -Tool, "Schism"

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    , Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    49

    Post imported post

    mcdonalk wrote:
    Try this site: http://corneredcat.com/

    Someone may have already linked you here, but it's a great site and has a nice section on "Kids and Guns" that sounds perfect for you.

    My two cents, keep the gun in a holster on you person as much as you possibly can. I know it sounds weird to carry around the house, but that is by far the safest place for the gun to be.

    +1 that having the key in the lock is just like having it in a night stand drawer, but I can't think of anything better you could do. Any way you could wear the holster to bed? I wouldn't want to either...
    I don't know how comfortable I would be sleeping with the gun on my hip so I would probably end up staying up all night. Like I said, even though the key is in the lock, anybody that wanted to get to it would have to sit on my face to get it...I don't know...I like the under the mattress idea but if I'm laying on it, I'm wondering how easy it would be to draw it quickly?!

  24. #24
    Regular Member Broondog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ste. Gen County, MO, , USA
    Posts
    369

    Post imported post

    hey TT...

    i thought of you this morning as i was leafing thru my latest NRA Store catalog when this small safe popped out at me.

    http://www.nrastore.com/nra/Product....tid=SA%2022631

    it might fit into your budget easier and provide the quicker access that you desire.

    again, just a thought.


    I'm the one who's gotta die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

    NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

  25. #25
    Newbie crisisweasel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pima County, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    266

    Post imported post

    1245A Defender wrote:
    ive read all your threads and all your posts....

    Â* i will be first to call B.S.

    you know all the reasons to carry,,,Â* youve got good reason to carry, always!!
    you live in bad conditions.Â* your boyfriend carries, but wont talk,,Â* boo hoo..
    you have wasted the time and typing of some of the most thoughtful and
    educated members of this forum, to backup thoughts you have shown that
    you fully understand since you joined up..

    i have said enough,,,Â* there is nothing for me to tell you that you dont already know...
    Man.

    That's a lot of commas. And that text is huge. Tell me, does this make you uncomfortable:

    I will be first to call B.S.


    You know all the reasons to carry. You've got good reason to carry -- always:

    • * You live in bad conditions.
      * Your boyfriend carries, but won't talk. Boo hoo.


    You have wasted the time and typing of some of the most thoughtful and educated members of this forum, to back up thoughts you have shown that you fully understand since you joined up.

    I have said enough. There is nothing for me to tell you that you dont already know.

    You are a cad and a bounder and I bid you GOOD DAY.
    (Sorry. A bit of editorial license on that last bit. But if you're going to condescend, you might as well go all-in and employ arcane language as well.)

    This attitude is unnecessary. Every single time anyone posts anything related to the actual need or use of firearms for self-defense, someone insists on "calling B.S." as you put it. It's like people on YouTube incapable of posting anything but "fake." in the comments section.

    I think her situation is not unique, entirely plausible, and the question is fair. She's trying to balance a legitimate need for self-defense with the reality of the world we live in.

    I would recommend a Gun Vault. You can view models here:

    http://www.gunvault.com/handgun-safe...ni-deluxe.html

    These, like all devices in this category, have some problems. Mount the vault if you can (the more steadily it is mounted, the better). Biometric locks would be the most convenient, but personally I don't trust them. Either they are too easily defeated or they won't work consistently. Perhaps others have experience with certain biometric models they can recommend.

    Everything with guns is a compromise, and I realize in this instance the compromise is having the gun ready, but also having it stowed securely.

    Someone else mentioned locking your bedroom door. This way you could have it at the ready without young ones getting near it. That's probably your best bet. If the door to your bedroom doesn't lock, you can very easily buy a locking doorknob and install it yourself. I bought one for my home office and my wife installed it as a surprise for me while I slept.

    Gun vaults such as the one I linked to are not ideal, but they're better than fiddling with a safe key.

    Hopefully you will find yourself in a circumstance where you have full control over your dwelling which might afford you better options.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •