• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Storage

Dreamer

imported post

You don't have to be a member, but if you are, I think you get a small discount...

http://www.nrahq.org/safety/eddie/

There is a brochure (free) and a 7 minute DVD (9.95).

There are also workbooks, and "teacher packs" that you can order here:

http://www.nrahq.org/safety/eddie/materials.asp

It's a pretty good program. This safety training is based on 4 simple rules for children:

If you find a gun:
STOP!
Don't Touch.

Leave the Area.
Tell an Adult.

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

Try this site: http://corneredcat.com/

Someone may have already linked you here, but it's a great site and has a nice section on "Kids and Guns" that sounds perfect for you.

My two cents, keep the gun in a holster on you person as much as you possibly can. I know it sounds weird to carry around the house, but that is by far the safest place for the gun to be.

+1 that having the key in the lock is just like having it in a night stand drawer, but I can't think of anything better you could do. Any way you could wear the holster to bed? I wouldn't want to either...

TTcrunchberry

imported post

mcdonalk wrote:
Try this site: http://corneredcat.com/

Someone may have already linked you here, but it's a great site and has a nice section on "Kids and Guns" that sounds perfect for you.

My two cents, keep the gun in a holster on you person as much as you possibly can. I know it sounds weird to carry around the house, but that is by far the safest place for the gun to be.

+1 that having the key in the lock is just like having it in a night stand drawer, but I can't think of anything better you could do. Any way you could wear the holster to bed? I wouldn't want to either...
I don't know how comfortable I would be sleeping with the gun on my hip so I would probably end up staying up all night. Like I said, even though the key is in the lock, anybody that wanted to get to it would have to sit on my face to get it...I don't know...I like the under the mattress idea but if I'm laying on it, I'm wondering how easy it would be to draw it quickly?!

crisisweasel

imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
ive read all your threads and all your posts....

i will be first to call B.S.

you know all the reasons to carry,,,  youve got good reason to carry, always!!
you live in bad conditions.  your boyfriend carries, but wont talk,,  boo hoo..
you have wasted the time and typing of some of the most thoughtful and
educated members of this forum, to backup thoughts you have shown that
you fully understand since you joined up..

i have said enough,,,  there is nothing for me to tell you that you dont already know...

Man.

That's a lot of commas. And that text is huge. Tell me, does this make you uncomfortable:

[size="-2"]I will be first to call B.S.[/size]

[size="-4"]
You know all the reasons to carry. You've got good reason to carry -- always:

• * You live in bad conditions.
    * Your boyfriend carries, but won't talk. Boo hoo.

You have wasted the time and typing of some of the most thoughtful and educated members of this forum, to back up thoughts you have shown that you fully understand since you joined up.

I have said enough. There is nothing for me to tell you that you dont already know.

You are a cad and a bounder and I bid you GOOD DAY.[/size]

(Sorry. A bit of editorial license on that last bit. But if you're going to condescend, you might as well go all-in and employ arcane language as well.)

This attitude is unnecessary. Every single time anyone posts anything related to the actual need or use of firearms for self-defense, someone insists on "calling B.S." as you put it. It's like people on YouTube incapable of posting anything but "fake." in the comments section.

I think her situation is not unique, entirely plausible, and the question is fair. She's trying to balance a legitimate need for self-defense with the reality of the world we live in.

I would recommend a Gun Vault. You can view models here:

http://www.gunvault.com/handgun-safes/mini-mini-deluxe.html

These, like all devices in this category, have some problems. Mount the vault if you can (the more steadily it is mounted, the better). Biometric locks would be the most convenient, but personally I don't trust them. Either they are too easily defeated or they won't work consistently. Perhaps others have experience with certain biometric models they can recommend.

Everything with guns is a compromise, and I realize in this instance the compromise is having the gun ready, but also having it stowed securely.

Someone else mentioned locking your bedroom door. This way you could have it at the ready without young ones getting near it. That's probably your best bet. If the door to your bedroom doesn't lock, you can very easily buy a locking doorknob and install it yourself. I bought one for my home office and my wife installed it as a surprise for me while I slept.

Gun vaults such as the one I linked to are not ideal, but they're better than fiddling with a safe key.

Hopefully you will find yourself in a circumstance where you have full control over your dwelling which might afford you better options.

TTcrunchberry

imported post

A couple of you have mentioned that I should lock my door, and I do have a lock on it but it can only be locked from the inside. I am more than willing to buy a lock and lock it when I am gone but I don't want to shut the door at night for two reasons. 1, if someone does break in to the house or my daughter's room, I'll be less likely to hear it, and 2, a lock is one more thing that will be in my way to getting into my daughter's room to protect her. Also if she tries getting into my room at night I don't want her to be locked out and then more likely to roam the house. So that's why I don't lock the door, unless my daughter is actually in my room with me...

And thanks for all the good advice and kind words=)

bigdaddy1

imported post

TTcrunchberry wrote:
A couple of you have mentioned that I should lock my door, and I do have a lock on it but it can only be locked from the inside. I am more than willing to buy a lock and lock it when I am gone but I don't want to shut the door at night for two reasons. 1, if someone does break in to the house or my daughter's room, I'll be less likely to hear it, and 2, a lock is one more thing that will be in my way to getting into my daughter's room to protect her. Also if she tries getting into my room at night I don't want her to be locked out and then more likely to roam the house. So that's why I don't lock the door, unless my daughter is actually in my room with me...

if it will help you can always get those cheap door/window alarms. They are usually self contained and make a shrill alarm noise when disturbed. That way you can lock your door and still be aware if someone breaks in. I read and like the idea of the biometric safe, but it sounds expensive. Perhaps leaving a Open carry pamphlet out where your room mate can see it will help him understand a little better.

Good luck

simmonsjoe

imported post

Broondog wrote:
i would suggest a Biometric Gun Safe. they are designed to only open for you and make for quick and easy access to your firearm.

you can read about them here....http://biometricgunsafe.net/

if you google "biometric gun safe" you should get a lot of hits to retailers so you can get a price idea, but if you need it now you should search locally.

having your weapon accessible to only you is a huge plus when small children are around and a very smart move on your part. best of luck to you!

here are some links to a couple of online retailers. i'm sure there are many more but these were on the first page of hits in my search. hopefully you can find one to fit into your budget, but then again how much money is too much when it comes to safety?

http://www.gunsafes.com/Biometric-Gun-Safe.html

http://www.avidbiometrics.com/Biometric-Safes-c3/
ABSOLUTE WINNER. It just doesn't get safer than this. You can leave your gun ready to rock and roll, with one in the pipe, and it is completely safe yet quickly accessible.

simmonsjoe

imported post

TTcrunchberry wrote:

Your concerns are very valid. If you have children in the house, I would not lock the interior doors between you and them. Bigdaddy1's advice is good.

It is always good to ask questions, until you can start thinking 'tactically.' It's the only way to overcome our preconceived notions and programmed thinking. Sometimes it takes a while to shift your frame of mind to a mode of references you choose for yourself. Knowing when you should question your references, and then coming here and actually questioning them, and fairly evaluating the responses you receive is a HUGE step on the right path. Congratulations and keep it up.

irish52084

I have a gunvault electronic safe and I love it. I fit 3 pistols, 1 full size with a light and 2 compact pistols. I keep all 3 loaded and with extra mags in my gunvault, it gets a little crowded with the 2 compacts on the top shelf, but plenty of room for my home defense pistol and extra mag on the bottom. I think I paid $120 for mine.

Once you set the code and practice with it, you can get really quick at retrieving your gun. I generally keep my full size pistol locked up during the day, I have 5yo boy in the house, but I pull my full size pistol out when I go to bed and put it on the nightstand with an extra mag. That way I don't have to fumble around with my safe for my pistol if I ever need it.

okboomer

TT - as for keeping the gun under the mattress and your concerns about being able to draw quickly, practice during the day and see if it would be a problem.

Also, as for sleeping with the gun under your pillow, as long as you are not one of those folks who 'roam around' the bed at night, go ahead and do it if the gun has a thumb safety ... generally, most guns of recent manufacture have two safetys, three if you count the primary safety, so should be safe enough under the pillow, cocked, locked and ready to roll.

I have read your other posts and agree with most here that you are doing the best you can and have a good idea of the steps you can take to maximize your safety.

One more suggestion I would offer is to get a recorder of some sort. The digital ones at WalMart are not too expensive, will record hours of voice and are easy to conceal, then add a gizmo from Radio Shack called a TP7 that will allow you to record phone conversations. And, as suggested, record and document each and every incident with the ex, including recording the statements of his friends that tell you of his threats to you (be sure to check the state statutes about whether you are a "one party" state or a "two party" state re recording.) While this may not be admissible in court, it will be documentation in your defense and can be used (no matter how obtained) as rebuttal evidence. When you get something damning, make a copy of it and keep that in your gun safe, give a copy to your lawyer, and a third copy in another safe place. Also, have you talked to the local sherrif about the situation? While the police may not seem very responsive to your reports, the sherrif may be able to take a more proactive stance.

If you really want to know how the police feel about your situation, talk to a detective. Especially if you can get an introduction through a family member or friend. Another way you can get a better idea of how the local PD feels about your reports is to get a scanner and listen to the dispatches. Once you learn the lingo, you can listen to how the officers respond and some of what they say when dispatched to domestic violence calls. Just because you feel that they are "not responsive" to your situation may not actually be the case, it is just that they don't have an offense they can effect an arrest with at that time. My guess would be that they are just as frustrated as you are because they have a pretty good idea that the ex is just as big a scumbag as you know he is, but he has not crossed the line enough for them to arrest him.

Just out of curiosity, did someone in law enforcement actually tell you that there wasn't anything they could do until he killed you? If so, that would have been a great time to have had a recorder ... that was inexcusible!

Also, have you contacted a domestic abuse organization in your area? They may not be able to help you immediately, but they may be able to help you find more secure housing, and they will most definitely be able to put you in contact with law enforcement who are definitely going to be much more sympathetic to your situation. They will also be able to put you in contact with a lawyer who specializes in DV and can navigate the halls of justice more effectively on your behalf. This will also add to the paper trail you are building against the ex.

I wish you all the best and will keep you in my prayers.

celticredneck

One thing I did when my kids were little was to install an exterior styled keyed lock on my bedroom door. I kept it locked whenever I wasn't home. It wasn't so much for my kids sake as for friends they might have over. My kids were all well trained in gun safety and knew that anytime they wanted to shoot all they had to do was to ask and we'd go up to grandpa's farm as soon as possible. Having a keyed lock would also buy you a minute ore so extra time to get to your pistol if the ex should try something in the middle of the night. In your case, you might also install a stronger door than what is standard for interior use.

inbox485

i would suggest a Biometric Gun Safe. they are designed to only open for you and make for quick and easy access to your firearm.

you can read about them here....http://biometricgunsafe.net/

if you google "biometric gun safe" you should get a lot of hits to retailers so you can get a price idea, but if you need it now you should search locally.

having your weapon accessible to only you is a huge plus when small children are around and a very smart move on your part. best of luck to you!

here are some links to a couple of online retailers. i'm sure there are many more but these were on the first page of hits in my search. hopefully you can find one to fit into your budget, but then again how much money is too much when it comes to safety?

http://www.gunsafes.com/Biometric-Gun-Safe.html

http://www.avidbiometrics.com/Biometric-Safes-c3/

FYI FWIW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1frG-SfTz5s

Description:

GunVaults are a brilliant design with a fatal flaw. If they are exposed to a static shock while plugged into an AC adapter they reset to the factory default combination. The first one I had not only reset, but opened itself and actually started smoking. I sent it back and they seemed to have fixed that issue. But three units in a row that I have had reset themselves if shocked and GunVault does not appear to be fixing this issue. I've waited a long time to see if they respond to the issue, I've sent repeated e-mails, and I've spoken to GunVault reps about the issue. I'm not generally the type to spread this sort of info, but I can't trust this product, and neither should anybody else. Until this issue is fixed and only if GunVault replaces the units I have will I consider doing business with this company again.

The step are simple. I demonstrate that the default passcode doesn't work, then I demonstrate the passcode it is set to. I shuffle my feet and touch the case giving it a shock (it was dry and windy at the time). Then I demonstrate that the passcode I set no longer works and the default passcode does. I then repeated it on a second unit so that it is clear that it isn't just this one unit with a problem.

The noise in the background are birds.