• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any recommendation for good voice recorder app?

Wglide90

imported post

Hey guys, I just got a new Motorola DROID. Doing this post on it. Pretty cool. Anyway, I want to get an APP to do voice recording. I'd like to activate it by voice. Anyone know of good one? There's about a thousand from which to choose.

malignity

imported post

There's a standard app called Voice Recorder. It was one of the first Android apps for voice recording. I use it and it hasn't failed me yet.

w3man

imported post

There is also an application called Rehearsal which works well.

Wglide90

imported post

Hey thanks for the info guys. I'll check them out. Any chance this phone the app features combined will allow voice activation? Still got a lot to learn on the phone. Tnx!

malignity

imported post

I assume ios is Macs OS? I refuse to support Macintosh in any sort of way shape or form. My hatred stems from the very early 1990's... Its an IT thing... born into a family of IT and computer repairmen, was an IT Administrator myself for 3 years.

Android is a great OS, its got almost half the applications Mac OS does, and its been widely used on the market for only a little over a year. Debating which OS is superior this early in the game is like debating which is better; Chrysler or Ford.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

malignity wrote:
I assume ios is Macs OS? I refuse to support Macintosh in any sort of way shape or form. My hatred stems from the very early 1990's... Its an IT thing... born into a family of IT and computer repairmen, was an IT Administrator myself for 3 years.
it's the iPhone, iPod, and iPad OS.

As a sysadmin myself, I don't get your contempt for the company 20 years later. Things changed significantly in 2001. It's a new century. Bygones?

Android is a great OS, its got almost half the applications Mac OS does, and its been widely used on the market for only a little over a year. Debating which OS is superior this early in the game is like debating which is better; Chrysler or Ford.

It's early game for Android, but iOS has been around for 3.5 years now, which is multiple generations in the computer world, as you know.

malignity

imported post

I imagine things have changed a lot since I dealt with Mac on a more wide scale basis. Even today though, software and gaming compatibility issues are still a very real problem, and though not as bad as it once was, until I can install absolutely anything on a Mac that I can on a PC and vice versa, I'm gonna be sticking to my guns (har har, ya like that pun?!).

kyleplusitunes

imported post

I'd say it's more like comparing a ford to a plymouth, which one is sticking around for the long haul? ;)

as a computer geek, but not an IT guy, googles perpetual state of beta test on all it's products makes me more agrivated than anything apple does.

the iOS is a wonderful place.

also android currently has 30,000 apps, compared to 225,000 apple apps. I wasn't great in grade school, can anyone confirm this as half?

;)

anyway. I'll give android credit for pulling a good rip off of the iPhone os, even if they do lisence it out to hardware manufacturers (the biggest problem with windows mobile devices, also) and most of them cap ui, and graphical framerates at 28 - 30 fps.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

malignity wrote:
I imagine things have changed a lot since I dealt with Mac on a more wide scale basis. Even today though, software and gaming compatibility issues are still a very real problem, and though not as bad as it once was, until I can install absolutely anything on a Mac that I can on a PC and vice versa, I'm gonna be sticking to my guns (har har, ya like that pun?!).

I understand the sentiment, but I don't understand the logic. Blaming Apple for the software/hardware developer's inadequacies does not make sense to me.

A generic USB printer should easily work on a Mac (and in general, most every single one does work just fine, without inserting any software at all). However, on the off chance that a driver does not exist for a specific model, Who is to blame for that? Apple? No, the company that made the printer also makes the drivers.

The same holds true for games. It's not that Macs can't do gaming (Valve has proven so with the release of the Orange Box for Mac, including Team Fortress 2, Half Life 2, and Portal for Mac), it's just that developers have locked themselves into DirectX programming, with no way out other than some recoding and recompilation.

Does this suck? Yes. Does this cost a lot of money? yes. But it would take the initiative of Microsoft to code the DirectX API for Mac before we'd see an "easy" out for this.

Apple computers and Microsoft-OS computers are similar appliances, but they are bred differently, behave differently, and require different APIs and programming languages. This difference is what drives innovation and competition, and I welcome it as much as I welcome the Android OS, WebOS from Palm, and Apple's iOS. We need these different platforms to drive innovation to make the experience better for everyone.

And as an aside: Choosing a phone platform due to inadequacies of a PC platform from 20 years ago doesn't make sense at all. Just saying.

malignity

imported post

Zig, it sucks sure, especially with game compatibility. However, Mac chooses to be different. Always have been, always will be.

Is that the fault of the games? Same scenario, just the other side of the coin. :)

Btw, I don't know where you got your info kyle, but Android has well over 30,000 apps now; and with the constant release of Android OS phones like the Droid Incredible, Mytouch Slide, Nexus, etc, it's growing at a much faster rate than iOS did, and across multiple networks. (I imagine the incentives google put out there helped, there were application competitions with $100,000 cash prize winners for a while)

Whereas, in the long run, you're still stuck with an iphone in one way shape or form, and AT&T. Just saying. :)

kyleplusitunes

imported post

most current numbers from google are 45,220 apps for android, and 225,000 for iPhone, both numbers are from jun 9.

also, the biggest problem with andriod is the fact they lease their OS to hardware manufacturers, and let them put crappier UI's on it, prime example is all htc uis. this is the same market strategy that doomed windows mobile.

I am also a huge
google fanboy, I use google voice, buzz, and latitude every day, but android has a lot of work to do before indecide to drop the iPhone.

I hate Android for taking an odd approach to multitouch, for all but encouraging fragmentation of the platform, and for failing to properly incentivize manufacturers to get out devices early and often

malignity

imported post

I'm curious to see where things are a year from now to be honest.

Smart phones need flash support. The first mobile OS to successfully do that wins, imo.

kyleplusitunes

imported post

malignity wrote:
I'm curious to see where things are a year from now to be honest.

Smart phones need flash support. The first mobile OS to successfully do that wins, imo.

steve jobs said it best, apples would gladly put flash on their phone if adobe brought a product to the table that wouldnt mash their hardware, it's adobes deal, not the mobile os

Widto

imported post

Wglide90 wrote:
Hey guys, I just got a new Motorola DROID. Doing this post on it. Pretty cool. Anyway, I want to get an APP to do voice recording. I'd like to activate it by voice. Anyone know of good one? There's about a thousand from which to choose.
There's a new app in the market call "Cop Recorder" and its free. Give it a try, works very well.

Tao

imported post

Just as a counter point, keep in mind that while a phone based recorder is convenient, are you sure you're going to be able to activate it in time AND covertly enough to record a surprise encounter?

After going through all the practicalities of recording an encounter, I decided the only real reliable way ensure an encounter gets recorded covertly is to already have the recorder going before you need it.

That amounts to turning it on the moment you step out, and letting it run the whole time you're out. No muss, no fuss, no risk of not turning it on or having it taken away because you gave away the secret.

malignity

imported post

Tao wrote:
Just as a counter point, keep in mind that while a phone based recorder is convenient, are you sure you're going to be able to activate it in time AND covertly enough to record a surprise encounter?

After going through all the practicalities of recording an encounter, I decided the only real reliable way ensure an encounter gets recorded covertly is to already have the recorder going before you need it.

That amounts to turning it on the moment you step out, and letting it run the whole time you're out. No muss, no fuss, no risk of not turning it on or having it taken away because you gave away the secret.

That's exactly what I thought too, which is why I always activate my recorder before I leave my car. I've done multiple 3-4 hour long recordings on my phone, so absolute worst case scenario, if my phone was recording that long, at the end of the day, it'd still be no problem. :)