• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CZ-75B vs Berreta M9A1

ramper50@hotmail.com

imported post

Hey everyone!

I've been following this website for about 3 or 4 months now and finally registered...

I'm turning 21 in about 6 months, I live in Washington state, and because of my preference of pistol (full size, steel, exposed hammer, single action)and my relitively small size, I've decided that when I am of age, I will be carrying openly (while having a cpl).

As you can tell by the title, I'm having a little trouble deciding which would be better for me while open carrying, the CZ 75B (da/sa or sa only) or a Berreta M9.

I prefer and feel more comfortable with the CZ hands down....It is cheaper, the sights can be changed,the trigger isa good bitnicer in both sa and da, it fits my hand just ever so slightly better, and probably the biggest factor, I can carry it cocked and locked...

The M9 feels just fine in my hand and I don't mind the price either, but having to fire the first shot in that extremely long, heavy DA mode just isn't at all appealing...

So it sounds like a pretty easy decision so far right? Well, here is where I start going back and forth... I can't seem tofind ANY reputable retention holsters for the CZ and being as I plan to open carry, something like a SERPA seems pretty important to me. The Berreta of course, has a ton of holsters available...

What's a guy to do???

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Fobus makes a holster similar to the Serpa which will fit the CZ75. You can get it from Amazon for under $25 http://www.amazon.com/Fobus-Standard-Holster-Paddle-Attachment/dp/B0024KIVIM I don't have any personal experience with Fobus holsters, but a lot of people like them. It would at least get you started while you decide if you want something different in the future.

I agree with you on all counts about the CZ75 and Beretta pistols. The CZ is shorter and thinner yet carries the same firepower, plus you can choose to carry it either SA or DA for the first shot. I would recommend that if you plan to carry in "condition one" (hammer cocked and safety on) you go to some of the CZ pistol forums and find out who can install a higher-profile safety on your pistol. Here's one http://czcustom.com/cz75extendedambisafetylhs.aspx ; there may be others. The CZ safety can be a little difficult to release quickly under stress because of its fairly low profile and pyramid shape.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
imported post

By the way, the CZ75 is suitable for concealed carry as well; it's similar in size to an M1911 except for the slightly thicker grip. My son, who has a small frame, carries one all the time and it doesn't show under a vest or jacket. The Galco Combat Master is available for the CZ75 and it pulls the pistol in close to the body for minimal printing.

ecocks

imported post

I'd go with the CZ-75 in a heartbeat. There are plenty of leather, thumb-brakeretention holsters which will fit as well as some of the alternatives you are seeing presented here.

Remember that a Kydex or other plastic holster will increase wear on the frame. That's not so bad on my S&W M&P .40 which is routinely carried in a Serpa retention holster but I wouldn't want my metal-framed CZ's in one of those due to finish damage.

Good luck and stay safe.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Synthetic holsters do increase finish wear. I don't consider that a really big deal, but it is something to bear in mind. The finish on a CZ is pretty durable and a few years down the road if it's showing wear, it can be pretty easily refinished. Nevertheless, it is a factor. I consider a firearm a functional tool and I'm willing to accept a reasonable amount of normal wear in order to make it as functional as possible.

I'm not disagreeing about the value of a good custom leather holster, but you won't have one by the time you want to start carrying your pistol. A custom holster was the thing that made it practical for me to CC a CZ97 .45 ACP pistol. I eventually gave it up because the pressure on my sciatic nerve caused leg pain.

gbentzen8

imported post

I faced the same question last year and went with the CZ 75. Felt better in my hand and it cost less. Great gun. Accurate and I've had no failures (jams) of any kind.

LONGSHOT

ramper50@hotmail.com

imported post

So, the pistol shouldn't be comprimised over the lack of active retention holsters... But to be perfectly honest, the thought of not having active retention still somewhat scares me... So what about a third option?

I'm a 1911 fan. I've shot one really nice springfield and a couple lower grade ones... When I first shot the nice Springfield (I think it was an older edition trp or something) I was IN LOVE... The recoiland action seemed soooo smooth (compared to the glock 17 in 9mm and the HK USP .40 that I shot before that),it fit my hand pretty well, andI love the looks, safeties, and operation of the firearm...I knew what I wanted.

My next trip to the range though, I only had the opertunity to try out a Rock island and a seemingly mid grade Kimber 1911 (note that these were very heavily used range guns) and they just seemed overly harsh with lots of recoil (From an accurate follow-up shot point of view at least...). At that point I decided to take another look at 9mm, except this time in the CZ (which I liked a lot and here we are...)

So I guess my question is: Could I get something like a Springfield Mil-spec and make it shoot smoothly enough to be comfortable with as far as a carry gun goes? Is it as simple as tuning via recoil springand mainspring? Or would it be just too much work to make a 1911 in the $600 range shoot a little less harsh?

Ps I've looked at some of the 1911's out there in 9mm and I'm pretty sure I don't really like what's available as far as that goes....

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ramper50@hotmail.com wrote:
So, the pistol shouldn't be comprimised over the lack of active retention holsters... But to be perfectly honest, the thought of not having active retention still somewhat scares me... So what about a third option?
Ummm...Didn't I just say that Fobus makes a level 2 retention holster for the CZ75?

mzbk2l

imported post

Check the CZ forums as to which retention holsters will fit. IIRC, several of the sherpa-style retention holsters that are made for the M92 will also fit the CZ-75 family.

I second the motion for the Galco Combat Master; it's a great holster for that pistol.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Cavalry: I've seen that holster before and correct me if I'm wrong, but that is simply a friction fit holster
I haven't seen it in person, but it claims to have "the finest passive retention system known" and from the picture it appears to have a fingertip release latch like the Sherpa.

ramper50@hotmail.com

imported post

Cavalryman wrote:
Cavalry: I've seen that holster before and correct me if I'm wrong, but that is simply a friction fit holster
I haven't seen it in person, but it claims to have "the finest passive retention system known" and from the picture it appears to have a fingertip release latch like the Sherpa.

I'm pretty sure "passive retention" is going to be friction fit in this case and I don't see anything in the pictures I've seen that looks like active retention (like a SERPA)... But some good news, another user here showed me a link for a Safariland holster made for the CZ. I even got a chance to look at one today when I stopped and talked to a security forces guy who was using it with his M9. It seemed pretty nice...

Another bit of good news (though it very well may make this thread much longer), is that I got my first "deployed" paycheck yesterday.:what:price is no longer a factor in this purchase:celebrate. Now I'm starting to think very seriously about a nice 1911 again! I'velooked at this quite abitat my local Quantico and OMG......

http://springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=26

tnhawk

imported post

Cavalryman wrote:

I'm pretty sure "passive retention" is going to be friction fit in this case and I don't see anything in the pictures I've seen that looks like active retention (like a SERPA)... But some good news, another user here showed me a link for a Safariland holster made for the CZ. I even got a chance to look at one today when I stopped and talked to a security forces guy who was using it with his M9. It seemed pretty nice...

Another bit of good news (though it very well may make this thread much longer), is that I got my first "deployed" paycheck yesterday.:what:price is no longer a factor in this purchase:celebrate. Now I'm starting to think very seriously about a nice 1911 again! I'velooked at this quite abitat my local Quantico and OMG......

http://springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=26

I prefer any of my 1911s to the M9.Springfield Armory hasa lifetime warranty and excellent customer service.

midnight61

I have 2 CZ 75s (1 being the limited version) and speaking form experience, DO NOT go with the Fobus kydex holster. It is not designed well for the CZ and you will find it difficult to draw from. The limited got stuck to the point I had to apply heat in order to free up my sidearm from the holster, which does not have a retention system. You get what you pay for. Spend the money for a quality holster and speak to a holster rep over the phone to insure they take your particular model in mind when making your holster. Go with a Galco but spent the time and speak to them on the phone to insure they understand your exact model (CZ75 many many variations)

Last edited:

irish52084

I'll throw my 2 cents in I guess. I have owned 3 very nice 1911's and enjoyed each of them, but as a defensive firearm they just aren't quite as reliable as I'd like. Don't read this as 1911's aren't reliable, in the thousands of rounds I shot through mine I had no FTE's, and only a couple FTF with blazer aluminum cased ammo and Fiocchi. That said, I've put more rounds down range through my springfield xd sub compact 40sw and my cz sp-01 and neither of them has had any issue.

If you were still considering a CZ pistol I would strongly suggest the sp-01, it may very well be the best value in a hi-cap 9mm. I paid $600 out the door for mine and it was amazingly accurate straight out of the box.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with any pf the pistols you're considering, they are all quality weapons. Best bet i to try and shoot all of them and decide from there. Good luck with your decision.