• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Handgun possession in airport?

cmdr_iceman71

imported post

Can someone point me in the direction of the statues regarding handgun possession in an airport. You know where one can carry; Safe-zones, authorized areas.....etc

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

Basically outside of the "restricted areas" is ok.

The only law you'll find is where it says that we can't carry within the secured areas...therefore outside those areas are legal.

Sorry, I have no cite for you but I'm sure Zig will be along in no time with one for you.

ISMOID

MOC Charter Member - Dearborn Heights, Michigan, U
imported post

The airport owned by Wayne county. TSA/FAA rules apply in the sterile area. I don't have those at the moment.

http://www.metroairport.com/pdf/WCAA_Airport_Ordinance.pdf

WAYNE COUNTY AIRPORT AUTHORITY
AIRPORT ORDINANCE

11.8 No Concealed Weapon or Explosive. Except as provided in Section 11.8 (e), a person shall not:
a. Carry on the Airport a deadly or dangerous weapon, concealed or otherwise, on or about his or her person or in property accessible to them prior to entering a Sterile Area or Secured Area unless the weapon:
1. if a firearm, is unloaded or, if not a firearm, is de-activated to the greatest possible extent; and
2. is packaged for shipment in a locked container or is otherwise secured; or
3. is in the possession of a Person licensed by the State to carry a concealed weapon.
b. Carry on the Airport any explosive or incendiary, concealed or unconcealed, on or about his or her person or in property accessible to him or her; or
c. Carry on the Airport any explosive, incendiary, or deadly or dangerous weapon on or about his or her person or in property accessible to him or her:
1. when performance has begun of the inspection of the individual’s person or his or her accessible property before entering the Sterile Area; or
2. when entering into or while in any Sterile Area or Secured Area of the Airport.
d. For the purpose of this Subsection 11.8, a weapon shall include, but not be limited to, a firearm, a pellet pistol or rifle, a knife, cutting instrument, blackjack, bow and arrow, sling shot, metal knuckles or martial arts weapons.
e. Section 11.8(a) shall not apply to those Persons authorized to carry a weapon on an Aircraft or to a law enforcement officer while on official duty. Section 11.8(a), (b) and (c) shall not apply to Persons who have received the express written permission of the CEO to carry weapons, explosives or incendiary devices on the Airport.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

ISMOID wrote:
The airport owned by Wayne county. TSA/FAA rules apply in the sterile area. I don't have those at the moment.

http://www.metroairport.com/pdf/WCAA_Airport_Ordinance.pdf

WAYNE COUNTY AIRPORT AUTHORITY
AIRPORT ORDINANCE

11.8 No Concealed Weapon or Explosive. Except as provided in Section 11.8 (e), a person shall not:
a. Carry on the Airport a deadly or dangerous weapon, concealed or otherwise, on or about his or her person or in property accessible to them prior to entering a Sterile Area or Secured Area unless the weapon:
1. if a firearm, is unloaded or, if not a firearm, is de-activated to the greatest possible extent; and
2. is packaged for shipment in a locked container or is otherwise secured; or
3. is in the possession of a Person licensed by the State to carry a concealed weapon.
b. Carry on the Airport any explosive or incendiary, concealed or unconcealed, on or about his or her person or in property accessible to him or her; or
c. Carry on the Airport any explosive, incendiary, or deadly or dangerous weapon on or about his or her person or in property accessible to him or her:
1. when performance has begun of the inspection of the individual’s person or his or her accessible property before entering the Sterile Area; or
2. when entering into or while in any Sterile Area or Secured Area of the Airport.
d. For the purpose of this Subsection 11.8, a weapon shall include, but not be limited to, a firearm, a pellet pistol or rifle, a knife, cutting instrument, blackjack, bow and arrow, sling shot, metal knuckles or martial arts weapons.
e. Section 11.8(a) shall not apply to those Persons authorized to carry a weapon on an Aircraft or to a law enforcement officer while on official duty. Section 11.8(a), (b) and (c) shall not apply to Persons who have received the express written permission of the CEO to carry weapons, explosives or incendiary devices on the Airport.

I wonder if this would be pre-empted by state law...