• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ban the US flag poll

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
You have got to be friggin kidding me. That it's even a question is beyond disturbing. That only 50% vote no? I am ashamed.
Not to insult those who have a deep respect for the flag, but there was a tongue-in-cheek "recall" of the US flag recently.

A ficticious flag company was recalling all 3 million flags saying they were dangerous.

The recall cited problems going way back. Invasions of sovereign territories, hundreds of thousands of civilian dead, etc.

Personally, I no longer have a lot of emotion or "respect" invested intothe Flag. To me it is just a symbol; I invest my respect into the good things itrepresents, not the symbol itself. Thus, I found the "recall" somewhat humorous, though I can understand why others might not.

The "recall" seemed to be a criticism of all the abuses and foreignadventurism done in the name of theflag orwrapped in thepatriotism of the flag.

With all that said, I wouldn't worry too much about that poll. A surprising number of people seem to think the flag represents the US government. Without also polling to find out whatmeanings people invest into the symbol, it is kinda hard to tell for what reason they areopposed.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Reminds me of the flag burning issue. I suppose that people should be able to burn one in protest, although personally I find it distasteful, but the obvious response is to pass a law requiring all American flags to be made out of a fireproof material.

lil_freak_66

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
Reminds me of the flag burning issue. I suppose that people should be able to burn one in protest, although personally I find it distasteful, but the obvious response is to pass a law requiring all American flags to be made out of a fireproof material.
cant do that,once a flag is no longer fit to be flown it is to be destroyed,generally by burning.

i think that it should be unlawful for the american flag to be burned on american soil,except in proper disposal procedures.

eastmeyers

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
stainless1911 wrote:
cant do that,once a flag is no longer fit to be flown it is to be destroyed,generally by burning.

i think that it should be unlawful for the american flag to be burned on american soil,except in proper disposal procedures.

You cannot ban the burning of the US flag, it is a first ammendment issue. Although I think that if a person does burn the US flag that person should first wrap themself in it.

God Bless

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

eastmeyers wrote:
SNIP I think that if a person does burn the US flag that person should first wrap themself in it.
Oh, I don't think that will work. Congress has been doing that for a long, long time. :uhoh:

lil_freak_66

imported post

so if i wanted to burn a rainbow flag,that'd be allowed??

id probably get busted on a hate crime against homosexuals

how come patriot isnt a protected class? improperly burning(proper,being the right way of disposal for a worn and tattered flag) an american flag seriously offends me.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
SNIP improperly burning(proper,being the right way of disposal for a worn and tattered flag) an american flag seriously offends me.
The secret is to not invest into the symbol the emotion for the thing symbolized.

Or, at least if you do---do it knowing the disadvantages.

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
so if i wanted to burn a rainbow flag,that'd be allowed??

id probably get busted on a hate crime against homosexuals

how come patriot isnt a protected class? improperly burning(proper,being the right way of disposal for a worn and tattered flag) an american flag seriously offends me.
Fortunately our Freedom of Speech and Expression grants us the right to offend whoever we wish, up to and including the President. In fact, especially the President.

It offends me too, as to me the Flag and the country is completely independent of the 'government'. It means something a bit more.

However, Citizen, I do comprehend your point of view that many Americans see the flag as representing the 'government' rather than the country.

If the people that think this way are the people who voted to ban it, than it would seem that those people are perhaps more morally aligned with us than first glance would allow us to grasp.