• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling from PA to SC--what do I need to know?

PSBC31

imported post

Hello,

New to the forum, thanks in advance for any guidance you can lend.

I'm travelling with family to S. Carolina (from PA) and I'd like to get a feel for my rights before I leave. We're planning on staying in a hotel in SC for a night, then at a timeshare for a week.

I have a PA LTC which I know holds no weight in SC. However, I'd like to keep my firearm loaded in my hotel room and timeshare. Is this within my rights or will I need to observe other procedures? I understand I'll most likely need to keep my firearm and ammo separate and in the trunk during the ride through most states. But I'd like to know I at least have a right to defend myself if necessary in a hotel room/condo.

Any advice and references are welcome.

Thanks.

PT111

imported post

In SC you can keep your gun in your car as long as it is in the glovebox, console or luggage compartment. It can be loaded.

At your motel room or time share you can carry it from your car to the room and keep it with you loaded at all times. Have a good time.

This is without a CWP,

PT111

imported post

hp-hobo wrote:
Correction. You can carry your loadedhandgun in a closed console or glove compartment, 16-23-20(9)(a). Everything you'll need to know is contained in the two links below.

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t16c023.htm

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t23c031.htm

Please feel free to ask for clarification.
Closed yes, I apologize for not making that clear buttheydo not have to be locked. Also the luggage compartment is behind the rearmost seat in a SUV or pickup and in a closed container secured by an integral fastener which can be just about anything.

mrjam2jab

imported post

PSBC31 wrote:
Hello,

New to the forum, thanks in advance for any guidance you can lend.

I'm travelling with family to S. Carolina (from PA) and I'd like to get a feel for my rights before I leave. We're planning on staying in a hotel in SC for a night, then at a timeshare for a week.

I have a PA LTC which I know holds no weight in SC. However, I'd like to keep my firearm loaded in my hotel room and timeshare. Is this within my rights or will I need to observe other procedures? I understand I'll most likely need to keep my firearm and ammo separate and in the trunk during the ride through most states. But I'd like to know I at least have a right to defend myself if necessary in a hotel room/condo.

Any advice and references are welcome.

Thanks.

Depending on where from PA you are traveling from...the only states you'd need to trunk it is DE and MD. PA LTCF is good in VA and NC.