• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help! CZ-75B or Berreta M9 for OC....

joeroket

imported post

ramper50@hotmail.com wrote:
Sylvia: Settle down!

I'm meerly suggesting that if I were able to get a smooth shooting 1911 for a reasonable price, that it would be a very viable option for me...

How am I trolling? (I'm still not quite sure I even know what that means...) And note that when I referenced 9mm in my last post, I was firing POLYMER guns.... I know that it wasn't the 9mmor .40round that I didn't really like, it was the top heavy poly guns, which is why I stated in my first post that I wanted an all steel pistol...

When I said That I didn't like what was available in 9mm 1911's, I meant just that... I simply don't see a 1911 in 9mm that I find particularly appealing.... The fact that I was looking at them in the first placeshould say something right?

joeroket: Thanks for a helpful post (slight sarcasm towards you, sylvia)... For some reason I can't get my computer to load the holsters.com page. (Comm here in the AOR isn't exactly the best lol)... How much are they, do you or anyone else here have any experience with them?
Safariland is one of the top retention holster manufactures in the world. The majority of officers carry in a 070 level 3 or 4 holster.

The one I posted for the CZ is around $120. It is pretty expensive but it is a top rated retention holster and has a manufacture that will back it up. The other that they make is a 1 inch drop version of the same holster.

Planetoptics.com usually has some of the lowest prices for holsters. I have not bought one from them but I have bought plenty of telescope components from them and they have pretty decent service. ( don't ask why they sell holsters, I don't have the answer to that one)

http://www.opticsplanet.net/safaril...olster-plain-black-right-hand-6280-90-61.html

amlevin

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
i would not trust a cz pistol as far as i could throw it.

Spoken like a man who has either never owned one, shot one, or both. I have an SP-01 Tactical, and I am not alone when I say that it's a better buy than an "M-9".

With a 20 round capacity (19+1), that plus a reload (19) gives you the best part of a box of ammo on your belt. I have about 8,000 rounds through mine and it has yet to malfunction.

The only downside it it is a touch heavy but for OC but I carry mine in a Bladetech with no issues.

Mortech

imported post

My personal pererence is for the CZ75 , my first CCW pistol was my Pre B CZ75 I brought back from Germany . I just like the ergonomics better than the M9 , both are quite reliable . Another factor for me was the cocked n locked ability which ironically had me getting a Taurus PT99AF .

Norman

imported post

I have shot a handful of CZ's and would not call them anything other than reliable and accurate. They are a good design, with that said, they don't fit my hand right, so I don't own one.

I do carry an M9, and shoot it often. Out of the box, the DA trigger pull is offensive. What you need is to go to http://www.olhasso.com/PS/parts.htm and buy a "D" spring from him. It will put the trigger pull weight at the same range as the DAO version of the Beretta 92. It makes a HUGE difference. You can also go to Wolff gunsprings and get the 16lb hammer spring. Replacing the spring is unbelievably easy. If you want it smoother, there are several websites that show how to smooth out the hammer and/or sear. Once you get a spring, sit in front of the tv and practice the DA trigger pull. It becomes instinctual in no time.

It is big, but I've found it really easy to carry. Lots of holsters available, but if you go with a CZ, I don't think you will be disappointed either.

amlevin

imported post

Norman wrote:
I have shot a handful of CZ's and would not call them anything other than reliable and accurate. They are a good design, with that said, they don't fit my hand right, so I don't own one.

I do carry an M9, and shoot it often. Out of the box, the DA trigger pull is offensive. What you need is to go to http://www.olhasso.com/PS/parts.htm and buy a "D" spring from him. It will put the trigger pull weight at the same range as the DAO version of the Beretta 92. It makes a HUGE difference. You can also go to Wolff gunsprings and get the 16lb hammer spring. Replacing the spring is unbelievably easy. If you want it smoother, there are several websites that show how to smooth out the hammer and/or sear. Once you get a spring, sit in front of the tv and practice the DA trigger pull. It becomes instinctual in no time.

It is big, but I've found it really easy to carry. Lots of holsters available, but if you go with a CZ, I don't think you will be disappointed either.
Especially since you won't have to do all the modifications that the M-9 seem to require.

steble01

imported post

amlevin wrote:
Especially since you won't have to do all the modifications that the M-9 seem to require.
None of those are required modifications.....if you spend any decent amount of time training with the pistol you choose to carry, which is what anyone should be doing to begin with. The only mod I would do on a carry 92 is the D spring. Thats only because it is very easy to do and parts are readily available and cheap.....so why not???? The 9x series designis an out of the box performer......proven many times over.

Mississippian

imported post

I have never owned a CZ, but added a Beretta 92FS to my collection about a year ago. I can't say I've carried it exclusively because I also carry (no... not at the same time!) a SA 1911A1, an XD9 tactical, an XD9 service, an XD9 compact and just lately added a Sig P229, I guess it just depends on my mood on what I carry.

Anyway, back to the Beretta... The local gun shop had it on sale for $450.00 (new) so I bought it thinking I'd give it a try but damn it's ugly. After a few hundred rounds, the 1st hard pull isn't noticed at all and I've never had any problems with feeding. One thing I notice about it is the accuracy... Oh yea, it ain't so ugly anymore, the looks grew on me.

I live in a swampy area and routinely shoot snakes, I can get head shots off regularly with both the Beretta and the 1911, but I just cannot shoot the XDs as accurately. I haven't had the P229 long enough to see how well of a snake gun it's gonna be.

Sorry about the rambling. You won't go wrong with the Beretta.

ramper50@hotmail.com

imported post

joeroket:

I got a chance to look at one today when I stopped and talked to a security forces guy who was using it with his M9. It seemed pretty nice and VERY secure... He was using it in a leg rig though so I'm not surewhereexactly it rides on the hip, hopefully high...

Another bit of good news (though it very well may make this thread much longer), is that I got my first "deployed" paycheck yesterday.:what:price is no longer a factor in this purchase:celebrate. Now I'm starting to think very seriously about a nice 1911 again! I'velooked atthis quite abit in my local Quantico and OMG......

http://springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=26

I know some would say that it's too nice for carry, but nothing I own will ever be a safeor rangequeen anyway... I like to get them dirty... Helps me build confidence and a connection with my shotguns and rifles and I plan to treat my pistols the same way....

Trigger Dr

imported post

I would suggest looking at the Sig version of the 1911A1. You will have a gun with quality, service, reliability and best of all pride of ownership. When I worked at a gun counter, as well as my own shop, the 1911 that was sent back for factory service more frequently than any other, was the KIMBER.

Matt85

imported post

CZ 75b,one ofthe best full size 9mm on the market.

if you want a holster with active retention, check out highnoon holsters. they made one for my CZ SP-01. also check out CZcustom.com for spiffy upgrades.

-matt

Norman

imported post

Replacing a hammer spring is too much for you? Have a hard time changing your oil too? How about brushing your teeth? ;) Some people are fine with the trigger as is, I prefer the spring they put in their 92D model. It's not "required" but it sure is nice. Just like night sights or a new set of grips.

killchain

imported post

ramper50@hotmail.com wrote:
joeroket:

I got a chance to look at one today when I stopped and talked to a security forces guy who was using it with his M9. It seemed pretty nice and VERY secure... He was using it in a leg rig though so I'm not surewhereexactly it rides on the hip, hopefully high...

Another bit of good news (though it very well may make this thread much longer), is that I got my first "deployed" paycheck yesterday.:what:price is no longer a factor in this purchase:celebrate. Now I'm starting to think very seriously about a nice 1911 again! I'velooked atthis quite abit in my local Quantico and OMG......

http://springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=26

I know some would say that it's too nice for carry, but nothing I own will ever be a safeor rangequeen anyway... I like to get them dirty... Helps me build confidence and a connection with my shotguns and rifles and I plan to treat my pistols the same way....
Just keep in mind that Springfields aren't USA guns either. I believe their 1911 styles are made in Brazil, and the XD's are from Croatia. (It bugs me how Springfield Armory sports an American Flag, but doesn't have Americans build their "American Guns.")

Now, if you want a 1911 and want to spend some dough and also get American made...

http://www.lesbaer.com/
http://www.stiguns.com/
http://www.kimberamerica.com/products/pistols/

...and a ton of others, I imagine. These are the only two that come to mind ATM, and I like "Made in America" stuff. :)

[SECOND EDIT: Look at this. Serious. http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/family.asp?fid=fnf020&gid=fng001 ]