• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Times Leader - Lackawanna County solicitor John O'Brien clueless on PA gun rights

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.timesleader.com/scrantonedition/news/New_Lackawanna_county_park_rules_questioned_06-13-2010.html

SNIP

New Lackawanna county park rules questioned

Olyphant resident challenges legality of firearms clause.
By Rich Howells rhowells@scrantonedition.com
Reporter/Photographer

SCRANTON – An area resident questioned the legality of a firearms clause in Lackawanna County commissioners’ new list of public park rules and regulations that it unanimously passed at its previous meeting.

Keith MacDonald of Olyphant approached the commissioners at the end of the meeting and claimed that all firearms are technically “unlicensed” in Pennsylvania and that prohibiting people from openly carrying a firearm is a violation of the Uniform Firearms Act of Pennsylvania.

Section 11 of the new park rules states: “No person shall discharge or propel across, in, or into any park area, a firearm…No unlicensed firearms or weapons are allowed in a Park without the written permission of the Director.”

“This is one thing that, I think, was carefully crafted to ensure that it didn’t violate the law,” responded Commissioner Corey O’Brien to MacDonald.

County solicitor John O’Brien agreed with the commissioner and defended the firearms clause.

. . .

“It doesn’t say ‘illegal.’ It says ‘unlicensed,’” MacDonald questioned.

“I think you’re wrong to say that there isn’t some form of permit or license required for you to carry a handgun. That’s what the sheriff’s office and that’s what the state department and attorney general’s office thinks. Our intent is at no time to further regulate gun laws,” John O’Brien continued.

The laws, written by the Parks and Recreation Department, affect McDade Park, Merli-Sarnoski Park, Aylesworth Park and Covington Park as well as the Lackawanna Coal Mine Tour and the Anthracite Heritage Museum.

aadvark

imported post

Clearly..., a Violation of The Pennsylvania Uniform Firearms and Weapons Act.

Lackawanna County should be taken to Court over this Injustice to The People of The Commonwealth.

Dreamer

imported post

Well, I read this rule to mean that if you're carrying concealed in a park, you need to have a LTCF.

If you are OCing, it would be perfectly legal, because OC in most of PA does not require a permit or license. Since a firearm carried in a manner that it doesn't require a license isn't technically an "unlicensed firearm", it should be OK...

Of course, there are ALREADY laws on the PA books that prohibit CC without a license, so this law is just anti-gun "piling on" and really does nothing to stop crime anyway...

Sounds like a good place for an OC cookout... :shock:

Or perhaps a special kite-flying event for people with PA LTCF's, but all OCing...

I mean would they REALLY harass a bunch of families flying kites, and OCing? Especially if there were a few people on the sidelines with video cameras...

jahwarrior

imported post

there's something in the works currently; there are a good bunch of guys who will be hanging out in McDade Park, open carrying. the Sheriff is welcome to come and try and stop us, and arrest us, if he likes.

Thundar

imported post

jahwarrior72 wrote:
there's something in the works currently; there are a good bunch of guys who will be hanging out in McDade Park, open carrying. the Sheriff is welcome to come and try and stop us, and arrest us, if he likes.
This is what is needed. Taking a stand for gun rights.