• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in CT

Alex.EastHartford.

imported post

I have been attending CCDL meetings and take what I learn from the meetings to educate and inform my friends by sharing what I learn. They are all surprised by most of the things I inform them on.

So I am thinking to myself that if even some gun owners are unaware of certain laws what about the general publicthe ones that do notown permits that have no interest in guns. I think it is still very important that both sides are made aware and educated about the open carry laws about where you can and can't carry.

If the local news networks could do a story on this subject it would hit a big part of CT ..permit holders and non permit holders. This way if somone is not a permit holder sees someone openly carrying willnot panic or feel threatened.

Do you agree that we should get someone who can represent not only the gunowners put the general public to educate CT in a story in the new media, since some people do not read on this information?

*remember November is election time - vote for your 2nd amendment supporters/representives*

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...images?q=ccdl+logo&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&tbs=isch:1

Rich B

imported post

Alex.EastHartford. wrote:
If the local news networks could do a story on this subject it would hit a big part of CT ..permit holders and non permit holders.

Do you agree?

I don't understand the question. Of course that would be advantageous. That is not the question. Stories about open carry like the one that ran in the Courant help educate the public for sure.

The question is how to get those media outlets to do the stories and to do them in a good way that is not liberally biased.

To that end, I have been trying to stay on top of the Courant where possible and call them out when they run pieces that are extremely biased or unfair. I had them change on of their polls on open carry and one on campus carry.

There will always be work that needs to be done to that end though.

Alex.EastHartford.

imported post

I know some articles have come up in the courant, but their are people who will not read on this subject. The news media has a larger audience that more people pay attention to.

I agree we need someone who can represent this story well that will not make a negaive impact on gunowners. So my main question is should we take this approach and then we can find who can do the story.

Rich B

imported post

Alex.EastHartford. wrote:
The news media has a larger audience that more people pay attention to.

Who is this 'news media' to which you refer? Open carry is making national news all across the country. Statewide, the Hartford Courant is about as big as they come.

So my main question is should we take this approach and then we can find who can do the story.

Again, I think this is a non question. I don't see anybody who is going to argue that more press is bad, but the question is who is going to listen?

If you want to get involved on this end of things I have plenty of ideas how to proceed, but I don't see the issue as a question of whether or not to go public. You cannot go more public than open carrying everywhere you go and talking to people all over the state.

Alex.EastHartford.

imported post

Rich..how are you?

By news media I was thinking of the local news channels.This is my first posting, so I probably did not make my point clear. I really don't mean to pose it as a question, but to see who out there can take that step to approach the media, so not only permit holders but the general public who don't pay attention to the courant can hear some more on open carry.

I really thank you for taking the time to read my post and to comment on it.

Rich thanks again for writing to the police chiefs to train their officers - you make a difference...