Thread: Vote in Parade poll

scubabeme

Post imported post

Vote in Parade Magazine's poll on whether suspected (as innot certain, not convicted, etc.) terrorists should be allowed to buy guns.

http://parade.com/guns

Banned

Post imported post

The only way to stop these "suspected terrorists" from buying firearms would be to stop everyone on the no-fly list. That included Ted Kennedy (probably still does) and a 10-year-old kid.

What's to stop some bureaucrat from putting whoever he wants to on that list, robbing that citizen of his right to carry?

scubabeme

Post imported post

And there you have the precise point about why it shouldn't be illegal. It opens the door for all kinds of tyrannical behaviors.

Post imported post

eye95 wrote:
    The only way to stop these "suspected terrorists" from buying firearms would be to stop everyone on the no-fly list. That included Ted Kennedy (probably still does) and a 10-year-old kid.

What's to stop some bureaucrat from putting whoever he wants to on that list, robbing that citizen of his right to carry?
    Especially when no one knows how you get on the list, and if you do, how to get off of it.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Banned

Post imported post

rodbender wrote:
    eye95 wrote:

Especially when no one knows how you get on the list, and if you do, how to get off of it.
    That post just put you on it.

Post imported post

I voted yes.

Citizens and legal residents should be allowed to purchase firearms; illegal residents, fugitives,felons and "incompetents" should not be allowed to do so.

Post imported post

Funny thing, from the founding of the country up until 1968, that's one hundred and ninety-two years to you and me, there was no restriction placed on ANYONE buying arms. hmmm....... isn't that strange?
    He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent which will reach to himself. -- Thomas Paine (1737--1809), Dissertation on First Principles of Government, 1795

Post imported post

Voted, for whatever good it'll do.

Thank you for voting!Yes 65% No 35%
    While many claim to support the right to keep and bear arms, precious few support the practice.

Post imported post

eye95 wrote:
    rodbender wrote:
    eye95 wrote:

That post just put you on it.
    If that postwas enough toput me on it, I was on it a long time ago.
    Will Rogers

Post imported post

Thos.Jefferson wrote:
    Funny thing, from the founding of the country up until 1968, that's one hundred and ninety-two years to you and me, there was no restriction placed on ANYONE buying arms. hmmm....... isn't that strange?
    Yes and I agreee it's sad that it came to this point where we have to do this.

Post imported post

ecocks wrote:
    Thos.Jefferson wrote:
    Yes and I agreee it's sad that it came to this point where we have to do this.
    This? If "this" is refering to going along with the un-Constitutional firearms act then I want no part of "this". Those bastards knew the act was un-Constitutional when they drafted it. If we would've had the internet back then it would have never passed. Flipping thing is a virtual carbon copy of the firearms act enacted by the nazis back in the 30's. Repugnant to the Law of the Land!
    He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent which will reach to himself. -- Thomas Paine (1737--1809), Dissertation on First Principles of Government, 1795

Post imported post

Talking about my comment concerning "felons, incompetents and non-citizens", not the Act.

Post imported post

ecocks wrote:
    Talking about my comment concerning "felons, incompetents and non-citizens", not the Act.
    Well the Constitution doesn't preclude ANYONE from keeping and bearing arms. If was good enough for the Founders then it's good enough for me.

edited for spelling

Founder's Club Member PrayingForWar's Avatar

Post imported post

If the feds are so convinced that a person is so dangerous that they should not be allowed to buy a gun, then why don't they deport or imprison them? It seems pretty simple. Sure, I don't want a terrorist armed. Unfortunately as politics change and power shifts hands, the definition of "terrorist" can change. Before obozo was (puke) elected, Achmed was the suspected terrorist. Now it'sJohnQ.Teabagger.
    If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training. You will become a minister of death, PRAYING FOR WAR...

Post imported post

Thos.Jefferson wrote:
    Don't you mean up until1934. That's when the National Firearms Act was passed. Thank you, NRA. Yes, theNRA helped draft it.
    Will Rogers

Post imported post

Thos.Jefferson wrote:
    ecocks wrote:
    Well the Constitution doesn't preclude ANYONE from keeping and bearing arms. If was good enough for the Founders then it's good enough for me.

edited for spelling
    You have your opinion, I have mine.

Post imported post

rodbender wrote:
    Thos.Jefferson wrote:
    Don't you mean up until1934. That's when the National Firearms Act was passed. Thank you, NRA. Yes, theNRA helped draft it.
    No that was a tax on automatic weapons. Regretfully that is a Constitutional law as Congress has the power to tax within the Enumerated powers.

Post imported post

ecocks wrote:
    Thos.Jefferson wrote:
    ecocks wrote:

edited for spelling
    You have your opinion, I have mine.
    So you are of the opinion that the Framers had it all wrong when they came to the conclusion that in a free society the right to keep and bear arms should not be infringed under any circumstance. Say it ain't so.

Post imported post

I have nothing but respect for those who put this country together.

While I understand the slippery slope process and hate the thought of "lists", especially those resulting from government action, it is my belief that those same Founders could not conceive that we would allow our judicial system to reach the sorry state it has.There are dangerous people walking the streets and while you or I might take our chances with them as we please, our children and some of the rest of our citizens should not beendangered due to the failings of thatsystem. Many people who have lost their citizenship rights have worked through the procedures in place to regain their right to vote, live where they wish and travel where theywant. RKBA should be no different.

Equally, I believe that they would also not have allowed thementally incompetent to have guns since they had asylumsin their day and those locked in there were not being allowed to play with rifles and pistols.

Finally, I believe the Constitution is intended for those who are citizens or lawful residents, not people who have illegally taken up residence in our country. The fact that there was no residency process in their day is just another one of those situations which evolved over time as the population grew and resources dwindled.

Tell me you have some understanding that anyone whofeels like coming here to get whatever they can without paying taxes, fighting for our freedoms, participating in building our country or, God forbid, calculating how to harm our citizens for their ownpurposes, doesn't have thesame rights as those who follow our laws, obtainlegalresidence, pay applicable taxes and, if immigrants, fight forthose samefreedom.

Post imported post

Thos.Jefferson wrote:
    rodbender wrote:
    Thos.Jefferson wrote:
    No that was a tax on automatic weapons. Regretfully that is a Constitutional law as Congress has the power to tax within the Enumerated powers.
    While that may be true, you still have background checks and must be approved by law enforcement. That's infringement, my friend, because you have to be approved by the government. It was passed as a tax law because that was the only way that they could, at the time, figure a way around 2A. All they have to do is add handguns to the list and.....well, there ya go.
    Will Rogers

Post imported post

rodbender wrote:
    Thos.Jefferson wrote:
    rodbender wrote:
    Thos.Jefferson wrote:
    While that may be true, you still have background checks and must be approved by law enforcement. That's infringement, my friend, because you have to be approved by the government. It was passed as a tax law because that was the only way that they could, at the time, figure a way around 2A. All they have to do is add handguns to the list and.....well, there ya go.
    Taxing a Civil Right is infringement.

Post imported post

Curmudgeon wrote: (June 14th)
    Voted, for whatever good it'll do.

Thank you for voting!

Yes 65%
    No 35%
    Well, it looks like the Anti's are flooding it.

Yes 24%
    No 76%

Another form of "herd mentality" runs amok.