• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vote in Parade poll

S

scubabeme

imported post

Vote in Parade Magazine's poll on whether suspected (as innot certain, not convicted, etc.) terrorists should be allowed to buy guns.

http://parade.com/guns

eye95

imported post

The only way to stop these "suspected terrorists" from buying firearms would be to stop everyone on the no-fly list. That included Ted Kennedy (probably still does) and a 10-year-old kid.

What's to stop some bureaucrat from putting whoever he wants to on that list, robbing that citizen of his right to carry?

S

scubabeme

imported post

And there you have the precise point about why it shouldn't be illegal. It opens the door for all kinds of tyrannical behaviors.

rodbender

imported post

eye95 wrote:
The only way to stop these "suspected terrorists" from buying firearms would be to stop everyone on the no-fly list. That included Ted Kennedy (probably still does) and a 10-year-old kid.

What's to stop some bureaucrat from putting whoever he wants to on that list, robbing that citizen of his right to carry?
Especially when no one knows how you get on the list, and if you do, how to get off of it.

eye95

imported post

rodbender wrote:
eye95 wrote:

Especially when no one knows how you get on the list, and if you do, how to get off of it.
That post just put you on it.

ecocks

imported post

I voted yes.

Citizens and legal residents should be allowed to purchase firearms; illegal residents, fugitives,felons and "incompetents" should not be allowed to do so.

rodbender

imported post

eye95 wrote:
rodbender wrote:
eye95 wrote:

That post just put you on it.
If that postwas enough toput me on it, I was on it a long time ago.

ecocks

imported post

Thos.Jefferson wrote:
Funny thing, from the founding of the country up until 1968, that's one hundred and ninety-two years to you and me, there was no restriction placed on ANYONE buying arms. hmmm....... isn't that strange?
Yes and I agreee it's sad that it came to this point where we have to do this.

Thos.Jefferson

imported post

ecocks wrote:
Thos.Jefferson wrote:
Funny thing, from the founding of the country up until 1968, that's one hundred and ninety-two years to you and me, there was no restriction placed on ANYONE buying arms. hmmm....... isn't that strange?
Yes and I agreee it's sad that it came to this point where we have to do this.
This? If "this" is refering to going along with the un-Constitutional firearms act then I want no part of "this". Those bastards knew the act was un-Constitutional when they drafted it. If we would've had the internet back then it would have never passed. Flipping thing is a virtual carbon copy of the firearms act enacted by the nazis back in the 30's. Repugnant to the Law of the Land!

ecocks

imported post

Talking about my comment concerning "felons, incompetents and non-citizens", not the Act.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If the feds are so convinced that a person is so dangerous that they should not be allowed to buy a gun, then why don't they deport or imprison them? It seems pretty simple. Sure, I don't want a terrorist armed. Unfortunately as politics change and power shifts hands, the definition of "terrorist" can change. Before obozo was (puke) elected, Achmed was the suspected terrorist. Now it'sJohnQ.Teabagger.

rodbender

imported post

Thos.Jefferson wrote:
Don't you mean up until1934. That's when the National Firearms Act was passed. Thank you, NRA. Yes, theNRA helped draft it.

ecocks

imported post

Thos.Jefferson wrote:
ecocks wrote:
Talking about my comment concerning "felons, incompetents and non-citizens", not the Act.

Well the Constitution doesn't preclude ANYONE from keeping and bearing arms. If was good enough for the Founders then it's good enough for me.

edited for spelling
You have your opinion, I have mine.

Thos.Jefferson

imported post

rodbender wrote:
Thos.Jefferson wrote:
Don't you mean up until1934. That's when the National Firearms Act was passed. Thank you, NRA. Yes, theNRA helped draft it.
No that was a tax on automatic weapons. Regretfully that is a Constitutional law as Congress has the power to tax within the Enumerated powers.

Thos.Jefferson

imported post

ecocks wrote:
Thos.Jefferson wrote:
ecocks wrote:

Well the Constitution doesn't preclude ANYONE from keeping and bearing arms. If was good enough for the Founders then it's good enough for me.

edited for spelling
You have your opinion, I have mine.
So you are of the opinion that the Framers had it all wrong when they came to the conclusion that in a free society the right to keep and bear arms should not be infringed under any circumstance. Say it ain't so.

ecocks

imported post

I have nothing but respect for those who put this country together.

While I understand the slippery slope process and hate the thought of "lists", especially those resulting from government action, it is my belief that those same Founders could not conceive that we would allow our judicial system to reach the sorry state it has.There are dangerous people walking the streets and while you or I might take our chances with them as we please, our children and some of the rest of our citizens should not beendangered due to the failings of thatsystem. Many people who have lost their citizenship rights have worked through the procedures in place to regain their right to vote, live where they wish and travel where theywant. RKBA should be no different.

Equally, I believe that they would also not have allowed thementally incompetent to have guns since they had asylumsin their day and those locked in there were not being allowed to play with rifles and pistols.

Finally, I believe the Constitution is intended for those who are citizens or lawful residents, not people who have illegally taken up residence in our country. The fact that there was no residency process in their day is just another one of those situations which evolved over time as the population grew and resources dwindled.

Tell me you have some understanding that anyone whofeels like coming here to get whatever they can without paying taxes, fighting for our freedoms, participating in building our country or, God forbid, calculating how to harm our citizens for their ownpurposes, doesn't have thesame rights as those who follow our laws, obtainlegalresidence, pay applicable taxes and, if immigrants, fight forthose samefreedom.

rodbender

imported post

Thos.Jefferson wrote:
rodbender wrote:
Thos.Jefferson wrote:
No that was a tax on automatic weapons. Regretfully that is a Constitutional law as Congress has the power to tax within the Enumerated powers.
While that may be true, you still have background checks and must be approved by law enforcement. That's infringement, my friend, because you have to be approved by the government. It was passed as a tax law because that was the only way that they could, at the time, figure a way around 2A. All they have to do is add handguns to the list and.....well, there ya go.