Thread: Student Moving to Illinois

Post imported post

Hey all,

I am going into a professional program in Illinois in fall, and I will be in the state for four years as a full time student. I am a Wisconsin resident, I have three shotguns and a handgun registered here in Wisconsin. I am moving into an apartment outside of Chicago, in the Pilsen, IL area. I plan on keeping my WI driver's license, and also keeping my truck and bike registered in WI utilizing my parent's address.

I would like to bring my firearms with me when I move. I am an avid trap and sporting clays shooter, and am getting into handgun shooting. I also like to have the handgun at home for protection. Do I need to apply for an FOID card if I am still a "non resident" (according to school standards)? Also, what is the radius in which it is illegal to possess a handgun in Chicago? Will I be unable to keep it with me at my apartment in Illinois?

Thanks!

Post imported post

I was unaware WI registered any firearms. An FOID card can only be obtained by an Illinois resident. If you become a legal resident you must get one to purchase or possess firearms or ammunition. If your residence legally remains outside of Illinois no FOID card is required. For the purpose of handguns you will have to go back to the state of residence to buy one.

Post imported post

There is no gun registration in WI.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Post imported post

Ok...sorry...I have PURCHASED firearms here in WI and would like to bring them. You guys are kinda missing the question here...

Post imported post

RXdoc wrote:
    Ok...sorry...I have PURCHASED firearms here in WI and would like to bring them. You guys are kinda missing the question here...
    Well, words have meaning, hence the clarification.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Post imported post

RXdoc,

Seriously...go to another state. You do not want to be in that state for 4 years.

Yes you can take your guns. You will then have to get a FOID card.

Just don't do it!

Post imported post

Shawn wrote:
    RXdoc,

Seriously...go to another state. You do not want to be in that state for 4 years.

Yes you can take your guns. You will then have to get a FOID card.

Just don't do it!
    You sound like you are from Vermont. It was just over 5 years ago that St. Louis City and County started issuing LTC, and a little more for the rest of the state. I'm assuming for a big part of your lifetime CC was illegal for you if you lived in Missouri and possibly open carry as well.

RXdoc, If you do move to Illinois I would recommend you live outside Chicago and Cook County if possible. If you do please join Illinoiscarry.com forum and work to get LTC in Illinois. If you keep your Wisconsin residency you don't need a FOID card, in fact they won't issue to you. You might go to Illinoiscarry.com/forum to ask about what city in the Chicago area you might move to, some in addition to Chicago have handgun bans, places you probably want to avoid. I thankfully live over 300 miles from Daley's Kingdom.

I just glanced at your original post if you are in Pilsen Illinois you should be fine, you might ask the city clerk if they have any local firearms ordinances, nothing listed on the Illinois State Police website that I know of.