• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can we change the law to include an IQ test for your CPL?

jchen012

imported post

Code:
At about 2:30 a.m. Sunday, police heard a single gunshot in the area just to the north of a nightclub in the 2200 block of Western Avenue. Security personnel for the club told police that a man armed with a handgun had just gotten into a red Cadillac.

Police located the man and ordered him from the car. Police searched him, but didn't find a handgun. However, police looked inside the car and spotted a black semiautomatic handgun, with the hammer cocked, sticking out from under the driver's seat.

The man told officers he fired a shot into the air. But he claimed it was in response to two other men who had been flashing their own guns. Police said there were no witnesses or evidence to support the man's claim.

Police said the man had a valid concealed weapons permit. The man also pointed officers to the spot where the gunshot was fired. There, police found a spent casing.

The man refused to give officers consent to search his car so it was impounded until police can obtain a search warrant.

The man was released at the scene.

The shooting was the second in two days reported at or a near a Seattle nightclub.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/theblotter/2012105864_beer_and_a_shot_more_gunplay_a.html

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Take the below gun, load it, hand it to them and tell them to shoot 5 rounds into a paper target.

monroy1.jpg

If they fail, they will have their grade before they hit the floor.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

The man refused to give officers consent to search his car so it was impounded until police can obtain a search warrant.

So, what crime were they investigating where searching the car would produce evidence? What evidence are they searching for?

I have no doubt that a judge will sign the warrant, but if he does not, doesn't it then become an unlawful seizure?

amzbrady

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
Maybe he's an undercover brady/wa ceasefire agent paid for his sacrifice and charges.

I was just thinking the same thing. Hard to tell, there are allot of stupid people out there. Don't believe it, then you haven't spent enough time people watching at Mal-Wart. Most of witch are most likely able to get a CPL, unfortunately their not able to dress themselves to go out in public.

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/?page_id=9798

trevorthebusdriver

imported post

So even with RAS and seeing a gun in the car they can not search it without permission?
I thought they could, like if they saw a bag of drugs in the car they could search it.
So if you get pulled over for speeding and have a bunch of drugs, guns, dead hookers in your car they can't search it?

joeroket

imported post

trevorthebusdriver wrote:
So even with RAS and seeing a gun in the car they can not search it without permission?
I thought they could, like if they saw a bag of drugs in the car they could search it.
So if you get pulled over for speeding and have a bunch of drugs, guns, dead hookers in your car they can't search it?
The rules on vehicular searches incident to arrest have changed recently. Departments are not typically searching for evidence in a vehicle without a warrant unless exigent circumstances exist. They will write a warrant outlining their PC and have a judge sign it. Then in court it is much harder for the defense to have it thrown out due to an unlawful search.

olypendrew

imported post

A search warrant remains the gold standard for ensuring the evidence is admissible, even if there is some other exception to the warrant requirement that might come into play. Sometimes, even if the suspect has consented in writing to a search, a warrant is still obtained, just to cover all bases.

oneeyeross

imported post

We had a vehicular homicide case that had the log book thrown out, since there was no search warrant before it was seized.

Now, this was a fatality accident, and the court system says the troopers have to have a search warrant to get the trucker's log book? I dunno.

But, in this case, be extra careful, get the warrant, dot the t, cross the i (or something like that) and do it up right.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Actually, my response of "nope" was to the question: wouldn't that be an illegal search and seizure. I do not believe it would be illegal. They have an eye witness saying the guy committed the crime of unlawfully discharging the gun. They have an eye witness that described the car. They stop the car meeting the description, with a guy in it meeting the description, and, upon removing the guy from the vehicle see a portion of a handgun in plain sight.

I would think given all those circumstances it would be perfectly legal for them to remove the firearm from the vehicle. It IS evidence of the crime for which they have both RAS and PC to believe was committed. Seizing the gun both contributes to the evidence of the crime and protects existing evidence of a crime.

Otherwise they would have to impound the car right there on the spot and wait for a search warrant to retrieve evidence that is already in plain sight.
Due to the plain sight rule, and the mobile conveyance exception, they could have easily picked up the gun and called it a day.

My question is, they get the gun, what else can they cite on the warrant to justify searching the ENTIRE car....What EVIDENCE is there other than the gun that they don't need a warrant to get?

See my point?

They're trying to justify searching an entire car, they have to justify the search by stating what evidence they hope to find. They FOUND the gun, KNOW where the gun is, how can they justify fully searching the car? What evidence do they expect to find?

I'm thinking it's a 'he refused, we'll find a way' search....

Aryk45XD

imported post

Techno, that's exactly what I've been thinking about. I figure it's standard procedure to find anything that will stack charges. I hate to think about them going through every inch of my truck. I'd have to sell it. :cry:

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Hmmmm.... maybe his story is true?

No evidence to back up his point, is there evidence to prove noone else flashed guns? Unless there is I am siding with the civilian until proven otherwise. I am just wierd like that.

amlevin

imported post

If we did that then we'd have to require it for Marriage Licenses, Driver's Licenses, Home Purchases, Credit Card Applications, Filings for Public Office, etc.

Just think how many of society's problems that could be solved it an "Intelligence Test" was required for anything that requiredan application form to be filled out.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

amlevin wrote:
If we did that then we'd have to require it for Marriage Licenses, Driver's Licenses, Home Purchases, Credit Card Applications, Filings for Public Office, etc.

Just think how many of society's problems that could be solved it an "Intelligence Test" was required for anything that requiredan application form to be filled out.

By definition .....

HALF of the people have less than average intelligence......

TheJeepster

imported post

and since when does intelligence actually mean someone is smart?

I work with way too many "intelligent" people who wear velcro shoes.

PT111

imported post

TheJeepster wrote:

What does velcro shoes have to do with anything. Over 95% of the people wearing lace up shoes can't tie the correct knot. If you will use a square knot instead of a granny knot your shoes will stay tied better. If you are wearing lace up check and see which you are using. Velcro instead of worrying about knots shows that they are intelligent. :)

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PT111 wrote:
TheJeepster wrote:

What does velcro shoes have to do with anything. Over 95% of the people wearing lace up shoes can't tie the correct knot. If you will use a square knot instead of a granny knot your shoes will stay tied better. If you are wearing lace up check and see which you are using. Velcro instead of worrying about knots shows that they are intelligent. :)

I agree.

One of Einstein’s colleagues asked him for his telephone number one day. Einstein reached for a telephone directory and looked it up. “You don’t remember your own number?” the man asked, startled.” No,” Einstein answered. “Why should I memorize something I can so easily get from a book?”