• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

POLL--Hit it! Kansas City Star

eye95

imported post

I didn't know that I brandished. That's why we must listen to the antis: so that we can hear a proper description of what we are doing.

BTW, I answered no only because the authors of the poll would think that is the positive outcome. The wild west of the movies is an inaccurate representation of the OC west of the 19th century. Unfortunately, the movie version is likely the one they had in mind as they wrote the question.

Reverend BCal

imported post

Wow, that first poster Josh Sugarmann from the Violence Policy Center needs to take a look at some gun crime statistics. Maybe he doesn't realize that cities like Chicago are quickly overpassing LA and Miami in gang related gun violence. I guess his Violence Policy only pertains to sheeple weiners and wussies.

falcon1

imported post

Voted "No." Current results:

Yes 2
pollBar.gif
3%
No 63
pollBar.gif
97%
Not sure 0
pollBar.gif
0%
Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/06/12/2012252/pro-con-will-the-open-display.html#ixzz0qq89rVy4

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Reverend BCal wrote:
Wow, that first poster Josh Sugarmann from the Violence Policy Center needs to take a look at some gun crime statistics. Maybe he doesn't realize that cities like Chicago are quickly overpassing LA and Miami in gang related gun violence. I guess his Violence Policy only pertains to sheeple weiners and wussies.
Josh Sugarmann is the father of the virulently anti-gun term, "assault weapon" in its contemporary vernacular. He knew that using a term such as this, after the Stockton, CA school yard killings in 1989, would get picked up very quickly by the press and played over and over in a very negative and visceral light to move Americans towards accepting and even demanding firearms bans.

His purpose was to confuse real assault rifles, which we all know what they are (I hope), with semi-auto look alikes and "evil" appearing rifles. He knew the general public and the press would accept his new definitions as fact.

Now take a look at his article in the subject paper. He is deliberately using a term for an illegal act (brandishing) to once again confuse people into believing this is what open carriers are doing. He wants to get "brandishing" into public discourse and ultimately have people calling 911 to claim someone is brandishing a handgun when in fact, they are not. He is also grouping OC'ers with undesirables in an effort to show that they are miscreants, anti-social, and borderline outlaws.

This guy knows exactly what he is doing. And the saddest part is no one in the press is going to call his hand on it.

Dreamer

imported post

This use of words and images for propaganda and "molding public perception" is a pet topic of mine. As a graphic designer, printer, and writer, the topic of understanding how words and images effect public perception is, quite literally, my bread and butter...

I've been doing some research on this issue lately, and am actually moving in a direction with my interests that look more and more like this may actually become my "thesis topic" for my Masters Degree. Interestingly enough, there is a LOT of academic writing on this topic--but it's not taught to people in the graphic design, creative writing, or journalism parts of academia. Where it IS taught (interestingly enough) is in the Public Policy, Political Science, and Public Relations programs, and these people then hire designers, writers, and printers to make their agenda "pretty" by polishing it up for public consumption.

Most designers that I know (and I know quite a few, having been in the business for over 20 years) don't have a clue with regards to things like semiotics, socially-charged words, socio-political issues, and perception-based meanings.

It's looking more and more like a LARGE part of my work as a grad student is going to be working toward expanding the awareness of new designers, so that they have a more clear understanding as to how their work is being used, and educating them as to the more insidious ways that their work is used to mold and shape public perception...

ecocks

imported post

Reverend BCal wrote:
Read the comments section below the article. Ironically, Sugarmann has an FFL. Sort of the heighth of hypocrisy don't you think?

Facts, like the Constitution,are always inconvenient to the liberals predictions and theories. Despite their predictions not coming true in the National Parks, parking lot shootouts, crazed vendettas and so on,they continue to scream aboutcrazy gun-carriers and their propensity for violence.

One might almost think that theseGUN SAFETY andVIOLENCE PREVENTIONorganzationsdesperatelyWANT it to happen..........

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Josh Sugarmann, the Violence Policy Center
wrote:
Where gun ownership is low and exposure to firearms limited, overall gun death rates are far lower.

Well duh, in places where vehicle ownership is low and exposure toautomobiles limited, overall vehicular homicide rates are lower too. What is it with these idiots?

JohnH

imported post

falcon1 wrote:
Voted "No." Current results:

Yes 2
pollBar.gif
3%
No 63
pollBar.gif
97%
Not sure 0
pollBar.gif
0%
Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/06/12/2012252/pro-con-will-the-open-display.html#ixzz0qq89rVy4
This poll ha absolutely no statistical value. All itreally says is that the majority ofpeople who voluntarily answer such polls are more likely to be pro gun.The only thing it proves is that pro gunpeople are more publiclyengaged in protecting their rights thananti gunpeople arepublicly active in restricting those rights. That says a lot when you think about it.

simmonsjoe

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
This use of words and images for propaganda and "molding public perception" is a pet topic of mine. As a graphic designer, printer, and writer, the topic of understanding how words and images effect public perception is, quite literally, my bread and butter...

I've been doing some research on this issue lately, and am actually moving in a direction with my interests that look more and more like this may actually become my "thesis topic" for my Masters Degree. Interestingly enough, there is a LOT of academic writing on this topic--but it's not taught to people in the graphic design, creative writing, or journalism parts of academia. Where it IS taught (interestingly enough) is in the Public Policy, Political Science, and Public Relations programs, and these people then hire designers, writers, and printers to make their agenda "pretty" by polishing it up for public consumption.

Most designers that I know (and I know quite a few, having been in the business for over 20 years) don't have a clue with regards to things like semiotics, socially-charged words, socio-political issues, and perception-based meanings.

It's looking more and more like a LARGE part of my work as a grad student is going to be working toward expanding the awareness of new designers, so that they have a more clear understanding as to how their work is being used, and educating them as to the more insidious ways that their work is used to mold and shape public perception...

Good man, Dreamer.

simmonsjoe

imported post

One might almost think that these GUN SAFETY and VIOLENCE PREVENTION organzations desperately WANT it to happen.......... 
[/quote]

Many of them subconsiously think want to be victimized so they can say "I told you so." and "look at poor me."

Flintlock

imported post

After reading these comments...

"Open-carry advocates take delight in thumbing their noses at societal norms by brandishing their firearms."

Open-carry advocates — "from nose-thumbers to anti-government activists to white supremacists — all share a common belief that guns make them safer. Carrying guns may make them feel safer from the demons that populate their world, but what about the rest of us?"

It is no wonder anti-gun people and organizations havelost battle after battle, all over the nation, for the last several years. My goodness, keep these people talking and we will have full constitutional restoration before we know it.

ecocks

imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
One might almost think that theseGUN SAFETY andVIOLENCE PREVENTIONorganzationsdesperatelyWANT it to happen..........
Many of them subconsiously think want to be victimized so they can say "I told you so." and "look at poor me."
[/quote]
Ihave been thinking this for several years now.

You can even spin it positively for the Bradyites and VPC'ers:

A good example was the National Parks law. Despite the predictions of camping area shootouts, wide-scale animal poaching, drunken target-shooting and general mayhem, nothing happened. Where is the sigh of relief, the prayers of gratitude, celebrations of sanity and such at the Brady or VPC HQ?

Shouldn't organizations which state in their request for non-profit status that their goal is to save lives through responsible gun laws feel a sense of accomplishment when a gun law or regulation change doesn't result in the predicted carnage anddestruction? Why didn't theyput outpressreleaseslike these?

PEACE PREVAILS IN NATIONAL PARKS

RESPONSIBLE CARRY LAWS RESULT IN SAFE WEEKENDS

Why didn't they acknowledge that, "Thank Goodness! Our predictions were wrong, the gun-carrying community is more responsible than we thought!"

Is it just possible that like certain politicians, they are so hung up on an agenda of personal aggrandizement that they fear to acknowledge the achievement of progress for fear it will hurt their own future (fund-raising, legislative goals, education, etc.)?

Many years ago a very bad thing happened to James Brady (and R. Reagan of course). My heart and prayers went out for the Brady family in that time period afterward. The man did his job well and suffered as a result of a deranged individual's actions.However this somehow morphed into their single-minded, vicious attacks on the Constitutution and American freedoms and have erased that initial sympathy and understanding. Their falsification of data, refusal to acknowledge postive aspects of gun ownership and the feeling of the people are all symptoms of the very things we see in the leadership of our country today.

syntax_error

imported post

Open-carry advocates — from nose-thumbers to anti-government activists to white supremacists ...
[/quote]
So, because I open carry, I hate black people? :shock:

Oh, wait, hold on, I could also be either a social renegade or have plans to run into the Congressional Building shooting like mad. At least Josh was courteous enough to not stereotype OC'ers! :cuss:MR SUGARMANN!

You know what people like this make me do?

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: