Thread: s&w revolver

Banned

Post imported post

im looking at model 686 plus or 386 xl hunter

both have a 6" barrrel what will i gain by having a 6inch barrel over a 4 inch one?

Post imported post

I have a S&W 686 with a 3" barrel and it is very accurate. I carry it all the time and have put many rounds through it with no problems at all. It is a nice gun.

You will undoubtedly gain accuracy with the longer barrel.

Banned

Post imported post

is yours a 6 or 7 round gun

Post imported post

Post imported post

rugerdon wrote:
    You will undoubtedly gain accuracy with the longer barrel.
    Maybe...maybe not. A longer barrel is not inherently more accurate than a shorter one. A bullet knows nothing about barrel length, it just responds to the velocity imparted by the burning powder and the spin imparted by the rifling. The reason that most people shoot better with a longer barrel is that as you increase the distance between the front and rear sights, the effect of a slight misalignment is reduced. In other words, a longer barrel is easier for most people to shoot accurately even though it is not inherently more accurate. Taking this into account, you can see that numerous other factors also influence accuracy. You may be more accurate with the shorter-barreled firearm if it fits your hand better or if the balance feels more "natural" to you. The only way to be sure is to try it out. One thing to consider is the extra 2" of barrel makes the firearm noticeably harder to draw from a holster.

Post imported post

I stand corrected.

A lot of the flash and bang from shooting a high powered round in a pistol with a short barrel, is from the flash of unburned powder; which is doing absolutely no good, ballistic-wise.

I agree with the last statement...clearing a 6" pistol from a holster is like drawing a sword.

Post imported post

I had a 686-6 + 4inch. I loved it! ended up trading it for an FNP-9+ cash. It was a great gun I wish I still had it. I keep telling myself I'll never sell again I'll never trade again.

Post imported post

younggun20 wrote:
    I had a 686-6 + 4inch. I loved it! ended up trading it for an FNP-9+ cash. It was a great gun I wish I still had it. I keep telling myself I'll never sell again I'll never trade again.
    QFT Sold my 686 SS 4" when I joined the Army. I want my S&W back!

Regular Member frommycolddeadhands's Avatar

Post imported post

ericfrompahrump wrote:
    both have a 6" barrrel what will i gain by having a 6inch barrel over a 4 inch one?
    A little more accuracy, a little more weight, 2 inches more to draw out of a holster, a possible problem with concealability (if you chose to conceal) and a slightly longer barrel for pistol whipping people after you've run out of ammo.
    God is the one driving this stagecoach, I'm just riding shotgun.

Banned

Post imported post

my 1911 is going to be my cc gun but the 6'' 686 might be a good oc gun and for bears