• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

s&w revolver

Don Barnett

imported post

I have a S&W 686 with a 3" barrel and it is very accurate. I carry it all the time and have put many rounds through it with no problems at all. It is a nice gun.

You will undoubtedly gain accuracy with the longer barrel.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
imported post

rugerdon wrote:
You will undoubtedly gain accuracy with the longer barrel.
Maybe...maybe not. A longer barrel is not inherently more accurate than a shorter one. A bullet knows nothing about barrel length, it just responds to the velocity imparted by the burning powder and the spin imparted by the rifling. The reason that most people shoot better with a longer barrel is that as you increase the distance between the front and rear sights, the effect of a slight misalignment is reduced. In other words, a longer barrel is easier for most people to shoot accurately even though it is not inherently more accurate. Taking this into account, you can see that numerous other factors also influence accuracy. You may be more accurate with the shorter-barreled firearm if it fits your hand better or if the balance feels more "natural" to you. The only way to be sure is to try it out. One thing to consider is the extra 2" of barrel makes the firearm noticeably harder to draw from a holster.

Don Barnett

imported post

I stand corrected.

A lot of the flash and bang from shooting a high powered round in a pistol with a short barrel, is from the flash of unburned powder; which is doing absolutely no good, ballistic-wise.

I agree with the last statement...clearing a 6" pistol from a holster is like drawing a sword.

younggun20

imported post

I had a 686-6 + 4inch. I loved it! ended up trading it for an FNP-9+ cash. It was a great gun I wish I still had it. I keep telling myself I'll never sell again I'll never trade again.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
imported post

younggun20 wrote:
I had a 686-6 + 4inch. I loved it! ended up trading it for an FNP-9+ cash. It was a great gun I wish I still had it. I keep telling myself I'll never sell again I'll never trade again.
QFT Sold my 686 SS 4" when I joined the Army. I want my S&W back!

frommycolddeadhands

imported post

ericfrompahrump wrote:
both have a 6" barrrel what will i gain by having a 6inch barrel over a 4 inch one?
A little more accuracy, a little more weight, 2 inches more to draw out of a holster, a possible problem with concealability (if you chose to conceal) and a slightly longer barrel for pistol whipping people after you've run out of ammo. :cool:

balackolama

imported post

just ordered 2 guns from budsgunshop.com

i ordered the 686+ in a 6 inch barrel for $670

and a remington 870 tactical shotgun for $442

i have to pay $60 to my ffl to pick them up

free shipping can't wait to pick them up next week

balackolama

imported post

164198_01_lg.jpg