• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need your help to defend our rights

rpersun

imported post

2010 North Carolina “Short” Session Underway!

The North Carolina General Assembly is in full swing for its
"short" session, and there are a number of bills of interest to
NRA. Legislative rules dictate that only certain types of
legislation may be considered--primarily those relating to
appropriations, finance, pensions and retirement, and
localities; certain legislation from the 2009 Regular Session;
and legislation proposed by study commissions. The following
bills are currently up for consideration.

Senate Bill 928, sponsored by State Senator Doug Berger (D-7),
would codify the Castle Doctrine in the home, and establish
civil immunity for those who use lethal force to defend
themselves or their loved ones while in their homes. In other
words, if a law-abiding citizen uses a firearm against a
violent criminal attacker who has illegally entered the citizen’
s home, the citizen could not be charged with a criminal
offense, and could not face any civil suit.

Unfortunately, after this bill passed the Senate, it was
assigned to the House Judiciary I Committee, chaired by anti-
gun State Representative Deborah Ross (D-38). State
Representative Ross has refused to allow this bill to be heard,
showing her utter contempt for law-abiding gun owners who might
be forced to use a firearm to defend themselves or their loved
ones from violent criminals. Because State Representative Ross
has refused to hear the bill, we encourage you to contact key
members of the Democrat House Leadership team who are
sympathetic to our gun rights, and urge them to SUPPORT and
have State Representative Ross hear SB 928. Please contact
Speaker Pro Tempore William Wainwright (D-12), Majority Leader
Hugh Holliman (D-81), and Majority Whip Bruce Goforth (D-115).

There are two other bills, but they are about dogs and
archery. Just a heads up.

Dreamer

imported post

Senate Bill 928 Contacts:

102.jpg

Speaker Pro Tempore William Wainwright (D-12)

Phone: 919-733-5995

Email: William.Wainwright@ncleg.net

243.jpg

Majority Leader Hugh Holliman (D-81)

Phone: 919-715-0873

Email: Hugh.Holliman@ncleg.net

327.jpg

Majority Whip Bruce Goforth (D-115)

Phone: 919-733-5746

Email: Bruce.Goforth@ncleg.net

Dreamer

imported post

BTW, I contacted Rep. Ross's office today as well, and they tell me that the reason this bill is stuck in committee is because there is a lot of opposition to it in the House. Apparently, the Senate and the House have VERY different views on protecting the rights of law-abiding citizens in NC. (This bill passed the Senate 42-2)

They told me that Rep. Ross "tries to stay neutral" on issues while in committee, and can't do anything with this bill until the Senate Sponsor works out all the compromises with the House opposition.

I asked them if they could explain how an elected Representative could be neutral on preserving and protecting the rights of law-abiding citizens, and they just answered, "she tries to stay neutral on bills in committee..."

WTF?

chiefjason

imported post

Dreamer, she's bought and paid for by the antis. I have sent emails to all my reps, senator, Speaker of the House, and everyone on her committee 3 times. Here are some responses from my rather honest and blunt reps.

"Thank you for your email on the "Castle Doctrine". The bill in question is one I expect to support if given a chance to vote on it. However, I am not on Judiciary I committee which itself is unlikely to get to vote because Rep.Ross and Speaker Hackney don't want it to pass and are using their power to kill it by refusing to bring it up. The majority party will not vote to force the bill to a vote because they don't wish to anger or antagonize their leadership. Rep. Ross, before being elected to the NC legislature, was an attorney for the ACLU. She is not open to persuasion on this bill. The only realistic hope for our getting it passed is to have a change in party control of the legislature as a result of the upcoming November election. I regret this is the case but wish to be honest with you on my assessment of the situation.

Again, thanks for your email. It is always good to learn of my constituents' views on important issues that may arise in Raleigh. Don't hesitate to contact me again to follow up on this same concern or some other.

And

"Representative Ross is not subject to any pressure this office can bring to bear. You might write Speaker Hackney. As the leader of her party and senior member of the House, she might consider a request that came from him. However, I am not sure of his position on S 928.
Senator Jacumin thanks you for writing and has asked that I assure you that if an opportunity arises to move this bill closer to becoming law, he will certainly take it."

And

"Bear in mind that she may be holding the bill because the speaker told her to...."

But don't let this stop you. Hit em hard, and if they don't listen hit them were it hurts. At the polls.