• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bob Ethe-ridge NC congressman

Huck

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
If the student were smart, he'd file assault and battery charges against this idiot. Nice to have it all recorded.
Agreed. If that's not a case of assault then what is?

falcon1

imported post

IANAL. Unfortunately, however, Representative Etheridge may be safe from arrest and prosecution under Article I, Section 6, of the Constitution:

Section. 6. The Senators and Representatives shall receive a Compensation for their Services, to be ascertained by Law, and paid out of the Treasury of the United States. They shall in all Cases, except Treason, Felony and Breach of the Peace, be privileged from Arrest during their Attendance at the Session of their respective Houses, and in going to and returning from the same [empasis added]; and for any Speech or Debate in either House, they shall not be questioned in any other Place.
Perhaps breach of the peace, but that would appear to be it. I hope I am incorrect!

WNCTarheel

imported post

falcon1 wrote:
IANAL. Unfortunately, however, Representative Etheridge may be safe from arrest and prosecution under Article I, Section 6, of the Constitution:

Section. 6. The Senators and Representatives shall receive a Compensation for their Services, to be ascertained by Law, and paid out of the Treasury of the United States. They shall in all Cases, except Treason, Felony and Breach of the Peace, be privileged from Arrest during their Attendance at the Session of their respective Houses, and in going to and returning from the same [empasis added]; and for any Speech or Debate in either House, they shall not be questioned in any other Place.
Perhaps breach of the peace, but that would appear to be it. I hope I am incorrect!
That only covers being arrested while in those locations. it does not provide immunity to crimes committed in those locations, and the arrest occurs elsewhere.

What's his opponent like on 2A issues? Her website has no mention.

Phssthpok

imported post

[font="Verdana,Arial,Geneva"][/font]
DC Official Code Online. It's easy for District residents to access the DC Official Code (District laws). The DC Council contracts with an outside vendor (The West Group Publishing Company) to provide the full DC Official Code online.
Gimme a few minutes to do some research...I'm sure that assault would fall under either felony, or at the very least a breach of the peace.
[font="Verdana,Arial,Geneva"][/font]

Phssthpok

imported post

Best I can come up with is the following:

Formerly cited as DC ST 1981 § 22-504

District of Columbia Official Code 2001 Edition Currentness
Division IV. Criminal Law and Procedure and Prisoners.
Title 22. Criminal Offenses and Penalties. (Refs & Annos)
Subtitle I. Criminal Offenses.
Chapter 4. Assault; Mayhem; Threats. (Refs & Annos)
§ 22-404. Assault or threatened assault in a menacing manner; stalking.

Currentness
Division IV. Criminal Law and Procedure and Prisoners.
Title 22. Criminal Offenses and Penalties. (Refs & Annos)
Subtitle I. Criminal Offenses.
Chapter 13. Disturbances of the Public Peace.
arrow.gif
§ 22-1321. Disorderly conduct.

Whoever, with intent to provoke a breach of the peace, or under circumstances such that a breach of the peace may be occasioned thereby: (1) acts in such a manner as to annoy, disturb, interfere with, obstruct, or be offensive to others; (2) congregates with others on a public street and refuses to move on when ordered by the police; (3) shouts or makes a noise either outside or inside a building during the nighttime to the annoyance or disturbance of any considerable number of persons; (4) interferes with any person in any place by jostling against such person or unnecessarily crowding such person or by placing a hand in the proximity of such person's pocketbook, or handbag; or (5) causes a disturbance in any streetcar, railroad car, omnibus, or other public conveyance, by running through it, climbing through windows or upon the seats, or otherwise annoying passengers or employees, shall be fined not more than $250 or imprisoned not more than 90 days, or both.

So I daresay that his assault qualifies as a breach of the peace, thereby removing A1 S6 immunity from prosecution.

ecocks

imported post

Another example of how out-of-control our government and the politicians have become. If I was this young man's father I'd be downtown helping him with swearing out a complaint on this idiot's actions for assault and possibly attempted molestation (what was with the hug around the shoulders?). Grabbing him by the hand,... neck and shoulders? "I have a right to know who you are!"? - BS, pure and simple.

If he was my Congressman I'd be pretty steamed by his behavior.

Dreamer

imported post

BTW, Washington DC is a "one party consent" state with regards to recording... :celebrate

Had this occurred in MD, this student would have been charged with a felony...:banghead:

Tribunal Power

imported post

I saw this earlier today. I think these two students handled themselves brilliantly, although I think this guy needs a serious ass-kicking. Still, if the students had done that, no matter how justified it may have been, they'd be in a world of hurt.

These kids better press charges to their best, or they're bigger fools than he is, IMO.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

falcon1 wrote:

Let's say our "esteemed" representative in question decided to rob a citizen and in the process, killed him as well. I would bet a month's wages, he would not be privy to any sort of immunity - nor should he be.

So if we take the "and in going to and returning from the same" phrase literally, any deviation from his path to commit any sort of mayhem would not be protected behavior as it most certainly should not be considered as such.

ecocks

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
BTW, Washington DC is a "one party consent" state with regards to recording... :celebrate

Had this occurred in MD, this student would have been charged with a felony...:banghead:

Perhaps, however this is a public official in an open setting in a tourist area (doesn't look like his home, isn't this the office area adjacent to the Capitol building?) who never says anything about protesting the recording only demanding to know who they are, so I doubt even MD would prosecute tourists. Probably bad for the economy.Just maybe if they established that the students went there expressly to ambush the Congressman, maybe.

Would you say that the guy who was videoinghis vacation in NYCwhen the jet flew into the WTC was violating the terrorists' rights to consent? Isn't NY a 2-party consent state?

Dreamer

imported post

Rep. Etheridge's general voting record:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/person.xpd?id=400125

http://themiddleclass.org/legislator/bob-etheridge-112?gclid=CO-nxs6toKICFch_5QodXzZevg

http://www.ontheissues.org/NC/Bob_Etheridge.htm

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/members/e000226/votes/

His record on Gun Rights:
  • Voted NO on prohibiting product misuse lawsuits on gun manufacturers. (Oct 2005)
  • Voted YES on prohibiting suing gunmakers & sellers for gun misuse. (Apr 2003)
  • Voted NO on decreasing gun waiting period from 3 days to 1. (Jun 1999)
  • Prevent unauthorized firearm use with "smart gun" technology. (Aug 2000)
  • Rated D by the NRA, indicating a pro-gun control voting record. (Dec 2003)
When the good Representative asked the college student "who are you, we have a right to know who you are?" the kid should have answered,

[align=center]"I'm a US citizen, and you work for me..."

[/align][align=left]I hope this kid has a good lawyer, and files charges. Assault and battery under DC law can be prosecuted as either a misdemeanor or a felony, depending on the nature of the assault, the severity of the assault, and whether or not the accused was armed with a firearm or other deadly weapon (regardless of whether or not they actually USED the weapon or not)

If Rep. Etheridge was carrying, this could lead to a felony conviction, and his expulsion from Congress...

I can't see Russia from my back porch, but I can see NOVEMBER pretty clearly, and it's looking more and more "red" for the fine state of NC... ;)
[/align][align=left]
[/align][align=left]Oh, and Rep. Etheridge was walking down that street because he was leaving a fund-raiser sponsored by Nancy Pelosi. His words are a little slurred, and his eyes are a little more droopy than usual. Perhaps his violent response to this student are due to a few too many martini's with the lobbyists and donors...
[/align]

PT111

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Rep. Etheridge's general voting record:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/person.xpd?id=400125

http://themiddleclass.org/legislator/bob-etheridge-112?gclid=CO-nxs6toKICFch_5QodXzZevg

http://www.ontheissues.org/NC/Bob_Etheridge.htm

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/members/e000226/votes/

His record on Gun Rights:
  • Voted NO on prohibiting product misuse lawsuits on gun manufacturers. (Oct 2005)
  • Voted YES on prohibiting suing gunmakers & sellers for gun misuse. (Apr 2003)
  • Voted NO on decreasing gun waiting period from 3 days to 1. (Jun 1999)
  • Prevent unauthorized firearm use with "smart gun" technology. (Aug 2000)
  • Rated D by the NRA, indicating a pro-gun control voting record. (Dec 2003)
When the good Representative asked the college student "who are you, we have a right to know who you are?" the kid should have answered,

[align=center]"I'm a US citizen, and you work for me..."

[/align]
[align=left]I hope this kid has a good lawyer, and files charges. Assault and battery under DC law can be prosecuted as either a misdemeanor or a felony, depending on the nature of the assault, the severity of the assault, and whether or not the accused was armed with a firearm or other deadly weapon (regardless of whether or not they actually USED the weapon or not)

If Rep. Etheridge was carrying, this could lead to a felony conviction, and his expulsion from Congress...

[/align]
The "YOU WORK FOR ME" line is complete hogwash. Unless you have complete power to hire and fire then it does not apply so unless the kid was a resident of NC then that line could even be used there. Go buy one share in BP and tell then order then to stop the leak, same type deal in trying to proclaim that you are someone's boss.

Dreamer

imported post

PT111 wrote:
The "YOU WORK FOR ME" line is complete hogwash. Unless you have complete power to hire and fire then it does not apply so unless the kid was a resident of NC then that line could even be used there. Go buy one share in BP and tell then order then to stop the leak, same type deal in trying to proclaim that you are someone's boss.

Etherridge DOES work for me--I've been a NC resident for almost 5 years, and I vote (not for him though).

I am a student (graduate student) with a VERY special interest in publishing, web development and the 1A (MFA Graphic Design). So this story hits particularly close to home for me. It's scary from a 1A perspective, it's VERY scary that he kept insisting that "we have a right to know who you are" (who are "we"?), and it's an embarrassment to all North Carolinians.

Deanimator

imported post

The kid he assaulted needs to make his life a living hell.

He needs to pursue EVERY remedy available to him in criminal and civil court.

He needs to film an election ad trashing Etheridge.

Etheridge is a low class thug who deserves the back of that kid's hand, every chance he can give it to him.

elixin77

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
PT111 wrote:

Etherridge DOES work for me--I've been a NC resident for almost 5 years, and I vote (not for him though).

I am a student (graduate student) with a VERY special interest in publishing, web development and the 1A (MFA Graphic Design). So this story hits particularly close to home for me. It's scary from a 1A perspective, it's VERY scary that he kept insisting that "we have a right to know who you are" (who are "we"?), and it's an embarrassment to all North Carolinians.
Employees of any government in the United States are civil servants of the people. They work for us, and are paid by us, therefore, we are their bosses. While they may not think so right now, I have a firm belief that there will be much eye opening come november with who is and isn't in office anymore...

As a fellow NC'er, I am also ashamed by his actions. Don't judge us by how this man acts, please.

PT111

imported post

elixin77 wrote:
Dreamer wrote:
PT111 wrote:

Employees of any government in the United States are civil servants of the people. They work for us, and are paid by us, therefore, we are their bosses. While they may not think so right now, I have a firm belief that there will be much eye opening come november with who is and isn't in office anymore...

As a fellow NC'er, I am also ashamed by his actions. Don't judge us by how this man acts, please.

Hard having 2,000,000 million bosses. Like the old saying, too many Chiefs and not enough Indians.

Boss
a. An employer or a supervisor.
b. One who makes decisions or exercises authority.

As was always told to me, the one who signs the paycheck.

You are barking up the wrong tree with this boss thing. The only thing you can do is see if you can keep him from being re-elected. Otherwise you have no power or authority over him or any other civil "Servant" and boy do I hate that word.