• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC for an out of stater in Smokie Mtn. Park

da_wanderer

imported post

I need a simple explanation. Is there a law in N.C. that requires a permit for OC?

From what I read and can understand of the laws, many states allow OC without a permit, including N.C. I am more concerned with 2-legged predators in the park than I am with 4-legged ones. I plan on spending the rest of this week hiking alone and want to know if my pistol is legal.

Thanks,

da_wanderer

Sahib0120

imported post

NC is an Open-Carry State, therefore a permit or license is not required. Only concealed carry requires a permit. Just make sure you research the places that you cannot carry such as schools, federal buildings, State Parks, etc.

However while in the Smoky Mountain National Park if you go onto the TN side of the park then you must have a carry permit to either OC or CC but you won't need one while in the NC part if you OC.

Sam

imported post

I don't think carrying a weapon is legal in any National Park located in North Carolina. Am I reading this wrong?

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/northcarolina.pdf

"State Parks: NO 15A NCAC 12B .0901
State/National Forests: NO 15A NCAC 09C .1243"

15A NCAC 09C .1243 FIREARMS
"No person except authorized forest law enforcement officers of the department, or any other sworn law enforcement officer shall carry or possess firearms of any description or air guns or pellet guns, on or upon Educational Stat e Forest or State Forests. Properly licensed hunters that meet the requirements of Rule .1233 of this Section, or persons meeting the requirements of the NC Wildlife Resources Commission Rules applicable to Educational State Forests or State Forests, are exempt from this Rule.

Sahib0120

imported post

Sam wrote:
I don't think carrying a weapon is legal in any National Park located in North Carolina. Am I reading this wrong?

15A NCAC 09C .1243 FIREARMS
"No person except authorized forest law enforcement officers of the department, or any other sworn law enforcement officer shall carry or possess firearms of any description or air guns or pellet guns, on or upon Educational Stat e Forest or State Forests. Properly licensed hunters that meet the requirements of Rule .1233 of this Section, or persons meeting the requirements of the NC Wildlife Resources Commission Rules applicable to Educational State Forests or State Forests, are exempt from this Rule.
National Parks and National Forests are two different things and therefore they are governed differently. You cannot carry into a National Forest or State Park but you can into National Parks. See link below:

http://www.nps.gov/archive/seki/nps_usfs.htm

chiefjason

imported post

Sahib0120 wrote:
Sam wrote:

15A NCAC 09C .1243       FIREARMS
"No person except authorized forest law enforcement officers of the department, or any other sworn law enforcement officer shall carry or possess firearms of any description or air guns or pellet guns, on or upon Educational Stat e Forest or State Forests.  Properly licensed hunters that meet the requirements of Rule .1233 of this Section, or persons meeting the requirements of the NC Wildlife Resources Commission Rules applicable to Educational State Forests or State Forests, are exempt from this Rule.
National Parks and National Forests are two different things and therefore they are governed differently.  You cannot carry into a National Forest or State Park but you can into National Parks.  See link below:

http://www.nps.gov/archive/seki/nps_usfs.htm

Sam, you are reading it wrong. National park carry is not relevant to whether we can carry in state parks. National parks now abide by the host state's carry laws.

Here we go with NC's great, crystal clear, gun laws. Seeing as most National Forest in NC is gamelands you CAN carry on them. Think Pisgah National Forest = Gamelands = hunting. With restrictions. Limited to .22 pistol outside of a regular hunting season for a game animal. Gotta love it. It looks like that law is specific to state forests only.

Here is the firearms policy page for the Smokies. They don't specifically mention OC. I have OC'd on the parkway, around rangers, and I was fine. Have a blast. That's a beautiful park.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm

farkles

imported post

National Park carry is legal if you follow state laws regarding CCW carry in that state. If you have a CCW permit for NC, you may carry in NC portions of National Parks. Since TN has reciprocity with NC, you may also carry in TN portions of National Parks. You must follow applicable laws to that state however.