• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wish we could get more traffic here in the Ohio section

rottman43055

imported post

I have considered having a decal put on my truck that says opencarry.org

We need some good OC groups around Ohio. I held a meet that had a decent turn out for the first meet, but am considering doing something more.

mabe start a Newark open carry club or my area.

Thoughts about forming small OC groups around Ohio?

theqbn

imported post

I've heard some people say they do not visit OCDO very often because they find it hard to keep up with the large number of topics/areas. I generally only visit the Ohio section, and not very often.

I have been tossing around the idea of setting up a forum on my ohioopencarry.org website, but I would need a few volunteer mods/admins as I simply have not had the time to dedicate to watching a forum.

Not to put you on the spot rottman, but I have seen you interact on the forums and I'd trust you to head up such a project if you were interested. Pick a few moderators, set up some simple and clear rules, and so on. PM me if you're interested.

JSlack7851

imported post

I agree, more OC clubs would be a good idea. However, you both know even the CC'iers don't want to go throughbeing hassled by LEO. I can't blame them. Most OC rights groups won't support you should you get the 'disordly' or the 'inducing panic' charges.

This makes it hard to justify losing the money supporting your rights.

I have tried organizing a OC up here in northern Ohio, but alas, NO ONE was interested. You guys, keep up the good work.

DMWyatt

imported post

I think progress for OC in a lot of areas in Ohio is slow moving for 2 reasons. One, no one wants left holding the bag in the middle of the recession when it comes time to hire an attorney or lose your civil rights. Two, the state as a whole has been making nickel and dime progress on firearms laws over the last 10 years. With the polarized nature of Ohio law being hijacked by the 3 concentrated urban centers, people are wary of losing ground in the issues being fought overall for firearm rights aside from OC.

In short it's easy for us here in rural west-central Ohio to note that there are in fact 2 Ohios. There is the urban centers of Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati... then there's the actual state of Ohio which is a lot more centered and logical in political direction. A lot of people in the state of Ohio are wary of the passive aggressive nature of the politics in the urban sprawl overthrowing any sense of sanity that still remains in Ohio politics.

rDigital

imported post

I live in downtown Willoughby, Ohio and I have been open carrying for 3 months straight. Without any negative police encounters.

We are making progress. :)

rottman43055

imported post

thanks for the vote of confidence theqbn. I would not lock threads the way others do. As long as no profanity is used and the comments are relative to the topic I'd let people express themselves.

I am considering another OC meet, but would really like to just get a small group in my area to meet once a month. If we had several small independant groups spread out, we could do some good.

I have been doing my part for a while but admit, sometimes a person can get tired of feeling like a lone ranger passing out info, talking to folks etc. Then like others have said, if something happens you are on your own.

Sometimes I am tempted to just drop off of the "gun community" radar lol.

Butterbone

Erlanger;Boone county side, Kentucky, USA
I live right across the river in Northern Ky. I spend a great deal of time Dining and shopping in Cinci, and ball games and parks as well. Most of my Co-Workers live in Cinci and surrounding areas, like Milford and Loveland and so on.

They all have an immediate aversion to open carry. Most of them are of the opinion that people are not allowed to carry a gun at all without CCW and expensive, extensive, training and certification. Even 2 guys I work with have CCW and won't open carry because they said they have past experience with having the police called on them for open carry and that the Cinci police officers even hassled them about OC while having a CCW permit.

"Concealed carry" means concealed is what they were told. So, Unlike Northern Ky where I have had police officers walk up to me in grocery stores and gas stations and say things like "I'm always glad to see someone exercising their rights", I think Cinci is still just old fashioned enough that the majority populace believes only policemen should be carrying fire arms at all, let alone in public.

And I have to admit I'm intimidated enough by the prospect of losing one of my pistols, and spending a few hours in lock up that I don't open carry in Cinci either. I remember my first year of college at UC. I had just moved to Clifton from Erlanger and I drove to Krogers in Clifton at 11pm to buy some groceries. A Cinci cop flashed his lights, took me out of my car and kept me handcuffed and sitting on the parking lot next to his bumper for 1 hour and 30 minutes, asking me the same 5 questions over and over between laughing and talking to his buddy who pulled up in another car.

#1. What are you doing out here?

#2. You have shoes on, I thought hillbilly's hated shoes, do you want to take them off so you can be comfortable.

#3. Do you know where you are? This is a Si-Tee. It's where smart people live, did you know you were in the Si-Tee.

#4. If I search your car, am I going to find drugs, or your sisters panties??? Which one? Cause it has to be one of those two.

#5. If I let you go do you promise to leave my city and never come back???

I love the city. But I've never liked the police department. The Cincinnati Police Department is 80% of the reason I don't live there. The Cinci public schools are the other 20%.

trooper46

I live right across the river in Northern Ky. I spend a great deal of time Dining and shopping in Cinci, and ball games and parks as well. Most of my Co-Workers live in Cinci and surrounding areas, like Milford and Loveland and so on.

They all have an immediate aversion to open carry. Most of them are of the opinion that people are not allowed to carry a gun at all without CCW and expensive, extensive, training and certification. Even 2 guys I work with have CCW and won't open carry because they said they have past experience with having the police called on them for open carry and that the Cinci police officers even hassled them about OC while having a CCW permit.

"Concealed carry" means concealed is what they were told. So, Unlike Northern Ky where I have had police officers walk up to me in grocery stores and gas stations and say things like "I'm always glad to see someone exercising their rights", I think Cinci is still just old fashioned enough that the majority populace believes only policemen should be carrying fire arms at all, let alone in public.

And I have to admit I'm intimidated enough by the prospect of losing one of my pistols, and spending a few hours in lock up that I don't open carry in Cinci either. I remember my first year of college at UC. I had just moved to Clifton from Erlanger and I drove to Krogers in Clifton at 11pm to buy some groceries. A Cinci cop flashed his lights, took me out of my car and kept me handcuffed and sitting on the parking lot next to his bumper for 1 hour and 30 minutes, asking me the same 5 questions over and over between laughing and talking to his buddy who pulled up in another car.

#1. What are you doing out here?

#2. You have shoes on, I thought hillbilly's hated shoes, do you want to take them off so you can be comfortable.

#3. Do you know where you are? This is a Si-Tee. It's where smart people live, did you know you were in the Si-Tee.

#4. If I search your car, am I going to find drugs, or your sisters panties??? Which one? Cause it has to be one of those two.

#5. If I let you go do you promise to leave my city and never come back???

I love the city. But I've never liked the police department. The Cincinnati Police Department is 80% of the reason I don't live there. The Cinci public schools are the other 20%.

Dude....Tell me you filed a formal written complaint. What did they claim was their RAS for stopping you?

Butterbone

Erlanger;Boone county side, Kentucky, USA
I was 18. And that was almost 18 years ago.

I wasn't filing anything. I grew up in covington and erlanger, we had a set routine for dealing with police.

Run, and Run faster, and when that failed. Shut Up, Head Down, Shut up some more LOL. That's life.

trooper46

I was 18. And that was almost 18 years ago.

I wasn't filing anything. I grew up in covington and erlanger, we had a set routine for dealing with police.

Run, and Run faster, and when that failed. Shut Up, Head Down, Shut up some more LOL. That's life.

Ah, points taken. I just graduated from UC. One of the few places I am happy to never go back to. With the exception of Football games, the hookah bar (owner lets me carry), and the Indian restaurant on Calhoun st. Other than that, I try to stay way from there.

One time they tried to give me a J-walking ticket, when not only was the walk light on, but I was also in full dress uniform for a colorguard. I pulled the Ron White line on her..........arrest me....arrest a soldier in army dress uniform for J-walking....I'm begging ya. They said they'd catch me next time. We have car jackings, murders, drug deals, rapes, and robberies..........but no, they're gonna put there resources and their best efforts towards making sure I don't J-walk. The UC police on the other hand are usually courteous and polite in my opinion just to add contrast.

Last edited: